City Navigator North America v8 Update is now available - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 5:55 pm Thread Starter

City Navigator North America v8 Update is now available

FYI:
Recieved this email today and ordered my update CD.

================================================== ====
Garmin is excited to announce our latest update to City Navigator North America v8. To provide our customers with the best in mapping, at the lowest prices, we have reduced the price of our mapping updates to $75.00!

Features of this update include:

** High quality, premium map data for only $75.00!
** Updated coverage of the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico
** General update for freeways, interstates, national and state highways, local, county and residential roads
** Updated more than 6 million miles of road coverage
** Added 46 new cities and expanded coverage for metro areas
** Expanded coverage throughout Canada
** Updated nearly 6 million points of interest

Update Policy for MapSource City Navigator North America Customers:

Update unlocks are $75.00 for full access to the entire U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico, available directly from our website. Please visit the link below for more details on the update, and to complete the form to have the City Navigator North America v8 Update DVD ROM shipped to you. After receiving the update DVD, please follow the on screen instructions to pay for your update unlock code and update your mapping software.

Visit our website now to order your update DVD.
http://www.garmin.com/unlock/update.jsp

While you wait for your Update DVD to arrive, please visit my.garmin.com and create an account with us. This new online portal will allow you to keep track of any of your Garmin products in one convenient location. If you have previously unlocked or registered a Garmin product you can ?Add? these to your new account so you are ready to go when your update arrives!

If you have questions regarding this product, please feel free to visit our main MapSource Unlock page. From there, you will be able to access the FAQ's that answer many questions regarding this update and how much it costs. We can also be reached at
[email protected] with any additional questions.

Please keep in mind, updates are not required. We recommend that you review the changes that have been made to ensure they are relevant to your personal situation.

Best Regards,

Garmin Cartography
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 8:30 pm

I got the email today, too. A little late though. Garmin sent me a shipping confirmation on Monday. I was hoping it would be here today.

Lewis

Lewis

Pasadena, TX

Naturlized Texan after 34 years 'In State'.
BMW 2003LTC
IBA 21743 & 23281
AMA 278337
BMWOA 26977
Corvette National Museum Life Member 941
ARRL Life Member
post #3 of 22 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 9:27 am Thread Starter

I can not understand why they do not provide an FTP site for those who would prefer to download it. I download DVDs all the time (broke into five parts). I start the downloads, go to bed, and its almost always done in the morning.

post #4 of 22 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 9:49 am

Angry Garmin's NEW policy on updates

I have 2 Streetpilots and Garmin's policy used to be that if you bought or had a softwate (MapSource) license that you could update 2 GPS units. That is one reason that I kept up to date on buying their latest units and selling my older units. However, as of 1 JUL, so I was told, Garmin no longer allows the 2 unit update on a single license.
Garmin said the software company (MapSourse/Navtra or whatever) is requiring a 25 diigit unlock code for every copy of their new software.
I will stop buying the new models unless there is a absolute must new feature that I have to have. I'm Mad!

Thanks,
Robert
post #5 of 22 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 4:21 pm

Version 8 has been out for more than a year. ??????
post #6 of 22 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 5:32 pm

vs 2008

Garmin girl told me they stopped using vesion numbers and the latest is 2008 and it was released 1 JUL because they're giving me the update for the new 2820 I bought in June.
All I know is what she said.

Thanks,
Robert
post #7 of 22 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 7:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEhrler
Yep! I've had my v8 since last September.
post #8 of 22 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 7:59 pm

Quote:

Could be since the original post was dated August 2006.

Ride On!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #9 of 22 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 8:16 pm

Smile 2008 is not Version 8

The latest is 2008 not Version 8 and I believe it came out 1 JUL. I also have NT 8 but it is not the same as 2008. Garmin has stopped the use of sequential numerical numbers for their updates. They're going to the year, ie 2008.

Thanks,
Robert
post #10 of 22 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 8:59 pm

I agree. I received my "Map Update 2008" "City Navigator North America NT", CD, (shipped 8.3.07) and have been using the updated maps and more points of interest. This is for the Street Pilot series 2720, 2730, and 2820, and many others that we do not talk about on this site. I'm running a 2730 with the xm radio.
Barnett

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #11 of 22 Old Aug 29th, 2007, 11:27 pm

I have a Navigator III.

I ordered the 2008 update and it won't load to my GPS! Anyone else have this issue?

I've emailed the company twice. No answer so far.

Nothing in the instructions or during the software load sequence says anything about a special procedure for the Navigator III gps.

ANY ideas? Thanks.

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

post #12 of 22 Old Aug 29th, 2007, 11:59 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

Bruce,
Check the version of City Navigator North America. If it's the NT version I don't think it will run on your GPS. NT is for the 26xx/27xx/28xx series of Street Pilots. HTH...

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #13 of 22 Old Aug 30th, 2007, 7:03 am
Premium Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCVBeck
I have a Navigator III.

I ordered the 2008 update and it won't load to my GPS! Anyone else have this issue?

I've emailed the company twice. No answer so far.

Nothing in the instructions or during the software load sequence says anything about a special procedure for the Navigator III gps.

ANY ideas? Thanks.
Hey Bruce, I have the Nav II and have the same problem. The original tech at Garmin tried to play it off as a Microsoft Vista problem. It won't load to the PC with XP either. They throw me back into line on hold to talk to a software tech and I was on hold 1.5 hours yesterday . Still not resolved. They set up a senior tech to call me today at 9 am my time. They really need more tech support, the hold times suck. Let us know if you get it fixed. I'll do the same.

Tony 05
post #14 of 22 Old Aug 30th, 2007, 10:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGKILLER
Hey Bruce, I have the Nav II and have the same problem. The original tech at Garmin tried to play it off as a Microsoft Vista problem. It won't load to the PC with XP either. They throw me back into line on hold to talk to a software tech and I was on hold 1.5 hours yesterday . Still not resolved. They set up a senior tech to call me today at 9 am my time. They really need more tech support, the hold times suck. Let us know if you get it fixed. I'll do the same.
Is the City Navigator 2008 a NT map?
post #15 of 22 Old Aug 30th, 2007, 3:39 pm
Premium Vendor

Quote:
I don't know what the software guy did from his end and mine but after a while he had everything dialed in and the Nav will up and download from laptop and PC. Hold time was zero because they called me this morning.

Tony 05
post #16 of 22 Old Aug 30th, 2007, 3:44 pm
Premium Vendor

Quote:
Is the City Navigator 2008 a NT map?
I don't know? What is NT?

Tony 05
post #17 of 22 Old Aug 30th, 2007, 4:06 pm

GPS V8 Update

Is this new version faster ? I have the previous one and its so slowwwwww !!!
Thanks
A
post #18 of 22 Old Aug 30th, 2007, 4:52 pm

Quote:
I don't know what the software guy did from his end and mine but after a while he had everything dialed in and the Nav will up and download from laptop and PC. Hold time was zero because they called me this morning.
Are you using the City Navigator 2008 on the Nav II or the Nav III. I think the Nav II uses the non-NT map and the Nav III uses the NT map.
post #19 of 22 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 10:36 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Just got my Map Update 2008 DVD.

Man does it take a bit of time to load!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garmin 2820.

Others notice it took some time? Guess it is a lot of info because it is on a DVD.

Anyway just happy to get the update.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #20 of 22 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 10:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Just got my Map Update 2008 DVD.

Man does it take a bit of time to load!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garmin 2820.

Others notice it took some time? Guess it is a lot of info because it is on a DVD.
Did you plug into a 2.0 or 1.1 USB port? Then again, I'm not 100% sure that the Garmin products support 2.0 yet. If they do, the speed difference is astronomical.
post #21 of 22 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 11:09 am

To answer my own question...

The newer Garmin units do support USB 2.0, checkout this spec sheet for the 2820.

FYI: USB 2.0 (aka "HiSpeed USB") operates at 480 mbps, compared to about 12 mbps of 1.x USB ports.
post #22 of 22 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 2:16 pm

Anyone else notice the Prefer Minor Roads/Prefer Major Roads slider is backwards? Slide it all the way to Prefer Major Roads and it'll route you down every BACKROAD it can find. Slide it the other way and it'll route you down the nearest interstate.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in