Help...Garmin 2720 worth buyin? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 4:57 pm Thread Starter

Help...Garmin 2720 worth buyin?

Found a good price on refurbished 2720's--same warranty, etc. I'm new to the LT and new to GPS, is this one I should consider? The TOM TOM RIDER seems ok, but too new and expensive, the 2730 is pretty pricey. Would appreciate input...I don't have $1,300, don't need XM radio, and would NEVER use a gps for receiving phone calls, so that's not in the "decision making" group

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I sure like my 2720. I'm a Sirius guy so didn't need the XM of the more expensive units.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 5:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
Found a good price on refurbished 2720's--same warranty, etc. I'm new to the LT and new to GPS, is this one I should consider? The TOM TOM RIDER seems ok, but too new and expensive, the 2730 is pretty pricey. Would appreciate input...I don't have $1,300, don't need XM radio, and would NEVER use a gps for receiving phone calls, so that's not in the "decision making" group
Pete
First of all, I really like the 2720. Its lightning fast recalc speed and TFT screen really are better than the previous models.

But, it looks like you are looking at list prices as comparisons.

I bought my 2720 this Spring for $675 from Capstone Technology and it can be had now for about $650 - New-in-the-box from other suppliers. The 2730 is very cool - and street price is under $800.

You need to check out This Link and perhaps just Google Garmin 2720 and 2730 and see all the sale options.

I went with the 2720 because I like a dedicated XM source and have no plans for mp3 file playback.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 5:33 am

I sure hope so!

I just got a refurb 2720 from GetFeetWet less than a month ago ($615). I have used it a couple times and it works good. The 3d route screen is the best. Having all the POI's in there is good too. I am very happy with this unit.

I was a little concerned about adding capabilities to the GPS. XM radio is one of those things. Although I love have things combine into one device. It just seems like the devices are changing so rapidly that it might be the best idea at this point. It is not any more expensive to have two separate units and if one changes or breaks, you can still use the other one or buy a new one.

Eric
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 8:28 am Thread Starter

JA,

Does the XM radio on the 2730 "play" through an fm modulator (i.e. can you set the regular FM stereo on the LT to a pre-set frequency and pick up the broadcast like the FM modulators for iPods, etc) or do you have to wire the damn thing into your system?

P

post #6 of 13 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 8:30 am
Bouncer

Quote:
JA,

Does the XM radio on the 2730 "play" through an fm modulator (i.e. can you set the regular FM stereo on the LT to a pre-set frequency and pick up the broadcast like the FM modulators for iPods, etc) or do you have to wire the damn thing into your system?

P
http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2730/

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 10:10 am

Price Alert!

I just got a 2720 from Costco.com, and it's great! Using it in the car and on the bike.

As of this morning, Costco.com is still selling them, brand new, for $599, and also is selling 2730's for $699.

The beauty of buying from Costco.com is a) you can return the unit at any Costco store, and b) you can return it, no questions asked, pretty much forever.
post #8 of 13 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 10:40 am Thread Starter

how are you "mounting" it? I looked at ram-mounts.com and am more confused than before, I am hoping to be able to use the GPS on the bike and in the car, am thinking I may pay the extra $100 for the 2730 after all the research now

post #9 of 13 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 4:22 pm

Wrong guy to ask

Quote:
how are you "mounting" it? I looked at ram-mounts.com and am more confused than before, I am hoping to be able to use the GPS on the bike and in the car, am thinking I may pay the extra $100 for the 2730 after all the research now
I'm not the guy to ask about mounting on a BMW -- I went over to the dark side (H-D) a while back. For the record, I'm using a RAM setup along with the Garmin motorcycle mount kit, which includes a bare-wire power cord with audio plug attached and a cradle.

I suggest you pick up the phone to the nice folks at CycleGadgets.com (877-742-3438) who will set you right on the mounting. Or, check in with your local BMW dealer (last I heard, advice was still free).

For car use, either unit comes with a couple of different mounts, including an extremely well-thought-out "beanbag" mount, so no worries there.

I thought for an instant of returning my 2720 for a 2730, but I really don't need XM radio and certainly don't want to subscribe to yet another service. But you'll be very happy with either the 2720 or 2730, I assure you.

Philip
post #10 of 13 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 9:20 pm

Touratech locking Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
First of all, I really like the 2720. Its lightning fast recalc speed and TFT screen really are better than the previous models.
Averill, was the 2720 a direct replacement fitting your Touratech locking mount as shown on some of your past posts? Can you do with out the sun shade with the newer unit? Barnett

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #11 of 13 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 10:17 pm

Alternative GPS

Pete,

You might want to take a look at the Teletype 3100. $399.00 it might have some of the features you want with a modest cost for what you get. Unknown is the water resistant status. I have used the Teletype software on a HP Ipaq in both the US and Europe, and have used the aviation software from Teletype on the Ipaq. Works quite well, no real complaints. Maybe it might be worth looking into. I am intrigued enough to order there $459 deluxe version for my daughters car.

Mirage
post #12 of 13 Old Aug 5th, 2006, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Look at the tech section here and you will see a listing for the BMR Shelf. I like it so much I have one on both my LTs.

Lewis

Lewis

Pasadena, TX

Naturlized Texan after 34 years 'In State'.
BMW 2003LTC
IBA 21743 & 23281
AMA 278337
BMWOA 26977
Corvette National Museum Life Member 941
ARRL Life Member
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 7:42 pm

I have a 2610 and a buddy let me use his 2720 for a few weeks and I really like the 2720's better screen and 3d view. I use the Touratech locking mount on a ram ball and both the 2610 and the 2720 mount the same way.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in