Garmin Zumo 665 - Avoid it & why - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DanDiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Mar 4th, 2015, 3:17 pm Thread Starter

Angry Garmin Zumo 665 - Avoid it & why

I looked for posts regarding this particular GPS unit and found none on the first page of posts, so there must not have been many recent ones anyway, so here goes.

IF you want to pay Garmin $1000. plus for the GPS and a decent lockable mount for your ride, and pretend you really like it, then be my guest. However, if on the other hand you feel this would be a complete rear-screwing with no kissing, you'd be right.

Overview: The Zumo 665 is probably the worst design for a GPS that I've seen. The processor is extremely slow, the "touch" screen has to practically be pounded to get it to recognize your touch, and the worst part of it is, it is not even compatible with either Mapsource OR Basecamp. Oh, it looks like its connecting and seemingly going along just fine, but when you try to download anything other than waypoints to it from your computer, it only SEEMS to download it. Now, downloading to a Streetpilot 2820 or Nav II was a straightforward process. You downloaded it, and it was immediately usable by the unit. Not so with the Zumo. After downloading, it only becomes usable AFTER you import it. Why the extra step? Beats me. I know the incompatibility exists now. A Garmin tech sent me an email telling me this. The design doesn't look bad, but who would design a unit like this and put the USB mini-connector underneath the battery compartment door which has to be removed, laid aside and if you happen to tip the unit the wrong way, the battery falls out and the unit will not work until re-inserted, which of course, causes a re-boot.

1. I used a Nav II which I added to my new 2005 K1200LT and later two different 2820s for over 8 years. Up until 2013. I debated long and hard over purchasing the Zumo 665. Had everything you could ever need on a GPS. And, to be fair, if you have a route in it, and follow the directions from it, you'll get there, which is all you could ask of a GPS. It's use "on the bike" is not at isssue although the display could be a lot brighter and why don't they sell a sun blocking visor of some type? No, it's the preparing for the ride that is the real problem.

2. Incompatible with either the MAC or PC software? Why didn't they follow their own requirements for software compatibility/connections during the design? I'm totally at a loss as to why they would put out a product with such a glaring deficiency.

3. I had been using PCs and Mapsource to do all of my route planning and in 2008, switched to a Macbook pro laptop. I had to switch to Basecamp since the Mapsource program was for PC only. I went through a learning curve, but gradually grew to like Basecamp. When I purchased the Zumo 665 and tried moving all of my waypoints and routes to it from my Mac was when I encountered the "download" process for it. It "kinda" works, but doesn't really. You wind up getting the message, "maps don't match, do you want to recalculate?" every time you try to use a "custom" route. Not what you want to see every time you start your engine is it?

4. The unit's cpu or chip must have been some mfr's rejects, because the Zumo is slower than my old Streetpilot. I used my smartphone and Google maps and entered a route that was on the Zumo and the smartphone was much faster. I actually entered a new route directly on the unit (which took forever because of having to pound the screen for every entry), and the route from San Ysidro, CA to Key West, FL was too long for it. Popped up the error, "route too long, instructions will be given as you approach the end point".

5. Search functions on the Zumo must have been programmed by a complete novice. For it to work, it has to be exactly what the unit has in it. No "close" or multiple possibilities come up. Just "results not found".

The unit looks good on my LT. And, I doubt that it could be ripped off by someone who was not a lock picker (those kind can always do it). But without the ability to plan my routes on my computer, download them and then use them makes the unit almost useless. The one thing I've always liked about the Garmins was the speedometer function and the fact that I know where I am. Other than that and searching for a restaurant (not heaven forbid a McDanolds [deliberate mis-spelling] which it would NOT find) or gas station, it's just a hood ornament so to speak.

If anyone wishes to rebut these remarks, please feel free, I will not be offended and if perchance, you have solutions I've overlooked, please by all means let me know. Or, if anyone would like to buy the unit, it's definitely available

Oh, and by the way, I have a super powerful iMac running Parallels and Win 7 Pro and using Mapsource to try and plan routes. It doesn't work either. It will only import one route before telling me the next route is "too long" and takes anywhere from two to five minutes to do whatever to load it and then I certainly don't trust that one and previewing it on the unit would take way too long.

Triker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Mar 4th, 2015, 5:22 pm

Re: Garmin Zumo 665 - Avoid it & why

I'd give you $25 Cash for it.

Ride Safe,

Bob

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"
Dean Moriarty - On The Road

'12 R1200RT
post #3 of 21 Old Mar 4th, 2015, 5:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Triker,

Wow seems you are having more issues than most people that i konw that have the Zumo 665.

Try going to this basecamp site there is a series of lessons on basecamp ther that might help you.

Delphi Forums Login*-*Welcome! Please log in.

HTH

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

post #4 of 21 Old Mar 4th, 2015, 7:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

While I have the 660, I was a bit confused how to make it work with basecamp but figured it out and never had an issue with map source. It is by far better than the old 2720 and 2820 I had before. At least it does not get flaky below 45 degrees and lock up the screen like my 2820.

Sounds to me like you got a bad unit. Warranty??

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 21 Old Mar 4th, 2015, 7:17 pm

I am definitely not a heavy user and most of the time, I use my IV to get me home, BUT, what I really don't like is that, most of the time, it is so hard to see. The sun really does wash out the screen.

I am dependent, most of the time on the audio feature. I do download waypoints and occasionally routs and have found that Mapquest is a lot easier to use than the software that came with it. If an address you are looking for is not exact, as you said, it doesn't exist.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 21 Old Mar 4th, 2015, 8:14 pm

How much ? Age ? Still under warranty?

2002 K1200LTC Pacific -Blue moon Beemer

2007 VFR800 RWB Interceptor -current
84 Yamaha Venture Royal -departed
84 Honda 750 Interceptor- departed
76 Honda 750 four-departed
65 Pan head (gone)
72 Rickman 6 day Enduro

Too many farkles to list, if you can thinkem they maybe on it

BMWMOA # 189093
BMWBMW LOCAL CHAPTER Member
BMW MARS CHAPTER Member
BMWRA # 41568
post #7 of 21 Old Mar 4th, 2015, 8:34 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

The older StreetPilot units are completely different beast. The newer technology has a learning curve. Old route are no good anymore. I have issues from one software version to another.

A simple way to fix the waypoint issue is to load the current maps and remake the waypoints you need. Don't remake all of them until you need them. It is a PITA for sure. The new software versions work on any computer. If you know someone local that has the 665 or a 660 see if they can give you a hand.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #8 of 21 Old Mar 5th, 2015, 7:30 am

For what it's worth my 660 works better with Basecamp when I have it connected so that they're both working from the same map. I also use an SD Card so as not to use too much memory on the GPS itself. That helps when you load new maps.

The Import Route bit does seem redundant, but once you know that you have to do that to see the Route it is what it is.

The GPS Tutorial listed above will help, but I still found it difficult to plot routes. I now just keep adding waypoints at the intersections of roads I plan to use along the ride until I get the Route I want.

Ride Safe,

Bob

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"

'12 R1200RT
post #9 of 21 Old Mar 5th, 2015, 3:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
I am definitely not a heavy user and most of the time, I use my IV to get me home, BUT, what I really don't like is that, most of the time, it is so hard to see. The sun really does wash out the screen.

I am dependent, most of the time on the audio feature. I do download waypoints and occasionally routs and have found that Mapquest is a lot easier to use than the software that came with it. If an address you are looking for is not exact, as you said, it doesn't exist.
Dan,

Try one of these GlareStomper - GPS Visors | Shades | Anti-Glare Hoods. I actually use two, one on the top for the sun and one on the bottom for the reflections from the tank.

works for me.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #10 of 21 Old Mar 5th, 2015, 4:13 pm

Hi John - I have mine mounted in the K1600 console and that prevents any type of accessory shading. I did use a hood on my LT and it helped a lot, along with being able to change the position and angle.

Unfortunately, on the K1600 the position is fixed and it's not just the GPS. The console also gets washed out in heavy sunlight, what we are noted for in FLATlorda! A good solution, but it only worked temporarily was a ride back home to WV. Milage improved too...

Seems like a lot of my riding keeps the sun overhead or behind me. Can't find those grey clouds....
johnbaker15 likes this.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 21 Old Mar 5th, 2015, 7:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15 View Post
Dan,

Try one of these GlareStomper - GPS Visors | Shades | Anti-Glare Hoods. I actually use two, one on the top for the sun and one on the bottom for the reflections from the tank.

works for me.
Sorry to throw this off in another direction, but do you think one of those gps visors would help with the glare that I get off of my high viz jacket?

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #12 of 21 Old Mar 5th, 2015, 7:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
Hi John - I have mine mounted in the K1600 console and that prevents any type of accessory shading. I did use a hood on my LT and it helped a lot, along with being able to change the position and angle.

Unfortunately, on the K1600 the position is fixed and it's not just the GPS. The console also gets washed out in heavy sunlight, what we are noted for in FLATlorda! A good solution, but it only worked temporarily was a ride back home to WV. Milage improved too...

Seems like a lot of my riding keeps the sun overhead or behind me. Can't find those grey clouds....
Dan,

Sorry forgot you got that 1600 a couple years ago.. This shade is mounted with velcro, I wonder if you clipped the corners you could fold the edges out to fit it??

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #13 of 21 Old Mar 6th, 2015, 7:53 am

Question Re: Garmin Zumo 665 - Avoid it & why

Don't mean to hijack this thread but have a ZUMO question. I've been debating for a couple of weeks which model I should purchase to replace my old 2820. I have probably 100 routes, all created with MAP SOURCE, on my PC. If I read it correctly, one of the posts in this thread suggest that those routes are not compatible with the new ZUMO series and will not load or run. Is that correct? If so, other than recreating them with new software, is there a work around that will permit them to work?

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #14 of 21 Old Mar 6th, 2015, 5:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
Sorry to throw this off in another direction, but do you think one of those gps visors would help with the glare that I get off of my high viz jacket?
The reason I use one for the top and bottom is just that, the top one mostly is a sun shade and the bottom one is for reflections like the one off your jacket. Save a couple bucks and just make one out of black paper, tape it to the bottom. If that works go for the real thing.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #15 of 21 Old Mar 6th, 2015, 6:21 pm

Lynn,
There is a Zumo specific Forum over on Delphi where I'm sure you can get an accurate answer to your question. I don't know enough to help but I've found good info there.

Ride Safe,

Bob

'12 R1200RT
post #16 of 21 Old Mar 7th, 2015, 6:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15 View Post
The reason I use one for the top and bottom is just that, the top one mostly is a sun shade and the bottom one is for reflections like the one off your jacket. Save a couple bucks and just make one out of black paper, tape it to the bottom. If that works go for the real thing.
Thanks for your reply John. I will try a couple of different approaches. I did have one of those anti glare things that go onto the screen. I just have to find where I placed it in the garage.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #17 of 21 Old Mar 7th, 2015, 7:25 am

I'
m pretty sure Lynn that when I bought my first 665 it came with map source? first thru 4th were all "remanufactured", none of which were reliable.

When I discovered I could use mapquest for routing I never looked back at map sources since I didn't want to learn, on my own, a programing language to make it work.

I tried the base camp tutorials with wore results than mapsource, and never looked back.

Last fall I masde the mistake of buying a lap top. I charged her up while I was staying at a hotel and tried to get on line via WiFi???!!!!!???!!!!!#[email protected]!%@#%[email protected]#

win 8!!

I didn't want to learn a new programing language to get it to work, so back it went to Walmart!!

for me, GPS, computer, Unit to record sat TV broadcasts, all are appliances. I turn 'em on and they should work. Ifin they don't, back they go!!

bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #18 of 21 Old Mar 7th, 2015, 8:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
Lynn,
There is a Zumo specific Forum over on Delphi where I'm sure you can get an accurate answer to your question. I don't know enough to help but I've found good info there.
Thanks for the suggestion. Will check it out.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #19 of 21 Old Mar 10th, 2015, 7:50 pm

This thread reminds me why I like my Zumo 550

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #20 of 21 Old Mar 10th, 2015, 9:23 pm

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm happy with my Zumo 665. It serves my needs well. Granted, I have not used it for routing multi-day trips nor have I had a previous motorcycle GPS to compare it to.

For my daily commute, the satellite radio linked to my helmet works great. Also, the phone link works good too. If I need to enter an address I am not familiar with in Portland, OR it works well in guiding me there.

After reading the OP's review, I paid particular attention to the amount of pressure needed to push the touch screen. Today I was using Gerbing gloves and after it warmed up, BMW brand gloves. I found no issues and it required very little pressure to make an entry or select an option. The turn by turn directions seem quick enough so I can't complain about the processor speed either.

I do have glare issues at times where the screen is difficult to see, even with an aftermarket sun shade. I'm not sure if that is unique to this model or if most of them have this issue when in direct sun light.

As for security, I have the device mounted on an aftermarket shelf next to my Iphone case and heated gear controller. I remove it when parking my bike and lock it up.

Having purchased Zumo 665 used (at a great price on Ebay), I am satisfied for what I need it for. Had I paid a grand, maybe my opinion would be different. This summer I will be doing a multi day camping trip to Tahoe so I will see how I like the routing function using Basecamp.

Chris

2003 K1200LT
Washougal, WA
post #21 of 21 Old Mar 11th, 2015, 7:50 am

I agree Chris. I was wearing my thicker winter gloves on Monday and still had no trouble keying my Zumo 600. Routing works similarly to the Nuvi in my truck and so far I haven't noticed any calculation speed issues.

I've got to experiment with the mounted angle, but I find any of these screens tend to wash out in the sun. I will try one of those shade cover screens as I can see my boat dash and GPS better with the Bimini up so it might help with the sun wash on the bike.

It is what it is, I think it works pretty well really and combined with my Tankbag map will really be an asset touring this season.

Ride Safe,

Bob

'12 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in