Steetpilot - Handlebar Mounting - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 4:32 pm Thread Starter

Steetpilot - Handlebar Mounting

Just thought I would share the mounting position that I finally decided to use. I like it. It gives me some flexibility on position. It did require some fiddly work with the Dremel. I test fit countless times, with a little more trimming each time. It is a pretty cheap mount too, about $27.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0678.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	5436   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0679.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	5437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0680.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	5438   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0681.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	5439  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 11:43 am

I like it. Mine is mounted to the top of the brake res., but I think I like your's better.
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 7:50 pm

I like that! I have my 2610 on a Ram ball with a Touratech mount on the clutch res cover but it's to close for my eyes. Could you explain how you di this and how close it comes to anything? Thanks

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

Basically, this was just a trial and error fit kinda thing.
1. You pull the top cover off the handlebars (2 screws from the underside).
2. I had to open the ubolt for the mount a little to fit over the handlebars. It is probably about 1/16" to narrow as it comes, but the part with the ball has fairly generous slots.
3. Experiment with the proper positioning of the mount. You might even want to leave the cover off for a few days and make sure you are happy with the position. Mine is just at the end of the section that comes left from the risers.
4. This is the hard part. Where to put the holes. I just did my best to line everything up, and took my time widdling away with the Dremel. Once you've got a hole big enough for the ball to fit through, then just keep timming and marking and trimming and marking and trimming until it all fits.
5. Run the wires, put the cover on, and mount the GPS.

How close does it come to anything? Not very close at all. It easily clears all the dash stuff. Doesn't come into contact with the windscreen (pretty much follows the contour of the dash as you turn the bars. By the time I pushed the unit back far enough to hit anything, it would be pointed up so far that I couldn't read the screen.

In the lowest position I have shown it above, it blocks the fuel gauge. It the upper position, it blocks a little of the speedo. The good news is that there is a speedo in the display of the unit. I can pretty much use either one. Then you could put it just about anywhere in between.

I think I could have moved the unit further out on the bars, but it would have required more cutting on the cover. I tried to make sure I didn't just slice a big chunk out of the cover so that it was so weak it would just break easily. I left a little connector between to maintain some structure to it.

It is not hard to do, but does require patience.
Eric
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 8:52 pm

I'd like it a LOT better under two conditions...
  1. The wires were both hidden inside the handlebar trim.
  2. You cleaned up the hole with a big rubber grommet.
Otherwise...great job!

My
post #6 of 13 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 5:27 am Thread Starter

Both wires are hidden inside the trim, but they have to come out to connect to the unit. Actually, it is only the one wire that needs to come out, but the pigtail for the audio connection is so short it has to tag along.

As for the rubber grommet, knock yourself out. The holes aren't round and they are about as small as I could get them. Chances are the grommet would be difficult to keep in place and only add a small aesthetic value. It would also take up space underneath the trim piece and you don't realize how tight of a fit this actually is!

Eric
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 5:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecirwin
Chances are the grommet would be difficult to keep in place and only add a small aesthetic value. It would also take up space underneath the trim piece and you don't realize how tight of a fit this actually is!
You obviously have no idea just how many wires I had running threw my left handlebar.
post #8 of 13 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 6:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecirwin
Just thought I would share the mounting position that I finally decided to use. I like it. It gives me some flexibility on position. It did require some fiddly work with the Dremel. I test fit countless times, with a little more trimming each time. It is a pretty cheap mount too, about $27.

Eric
Hi, Eric - great job. Love these ghetto mod projects!

Lissen, I'm not being critical - just offering a suggestion to folks who may follow your lead in this. Is it possible to locate the position of the vertical slot you dremeled below the circular cutout, and then rather than make a cut, instead, heat the bar cover to soften it enough that you could push that area outward to provide clearance for whatever is inside that needs the room? Might lessen the opportunity for moisture encroachment. Just a thought, Eric.

Thanks for sharing your 'fix' on a mounting location for the GPS unit.
post #9 of 13 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 8:20 am

Previous responses have me wondering (because I'll be going down this road some day): Are there any issues with water getting beneath the handlebar trim?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:43 am Thread Starter

I can't think of anything that would be damaged by getting wet under the handlebar trim. There is the hydraulic line for the clutch and some wires, but all can get wet without any problems.

Eric
post #11 of 13 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Is it possible to locate the position of the vertical slot you dremeled below the circular cutout, and then rather than make a cut, instead, heat the bar cover to soften it enough that you could push that area outward to provide clearance for whatever is inside that needs the room?
The only problem with that is the covers are painted. If you get it hot enough to deform the plastic, you are going to burn the paint off too. If you don't mind repainting when you are done, then no biggie. I'm not sure what kind of plastic it is either. If it is PVC, I don't think you're going to have much luck in softening it. You will probably end up burning it instead.

There really isn't anything you need to worry about getting wet under there. Not much on a motorcycle that can't get wet. Anything that can't get wet is generally sealed up pretty tight. I don't think the handlebar covers fall into that category.

Eric
post #12 of 13 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 8:09 pm

Eric, Nice job.... an original thought also!.. I never gave that area much respect as a landing zone for anyting much less a GPS.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

I can't take credit for this being entirely original. I did see another LT on a site selling GPS mounts, that used this same method, but up closer to the clutch. When I pulled the cover off and started experimenting with positions, this one seemed to be the natural choice for me. I wish it were a little further left, but the clampy thing on the RAM mount doesn't let you tilt much out of plane. That may be another mod I attempt someday, notching the clamp a little. Another 10-15 degrees and it would be perfect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in