Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lakewood (Denver), CO, USA
Basically, this was just a trial and error fit kinda thing.
1. You pull the top cover off the handlebars (2 screws from the underside).
2. I had to open the ubolt for the mount a little to fit over the handlebars. It is probably about 1/16" to narrow as it comes, but the part with the ball has fairly generous slots.
3. Experiment with the proper positioning of the mount. You might even want to leave the cover off for a few days and make sure you are happy with the position. Mine is just at the end of the section that comes left from the risers.
4. This is the hard part. Where to put the holes. I just did my best to line everything up, and took my time widdling away with the Dremel. Once you've got a hole big enough for the ball to fit through, then just keep timming and marking and trimming and marking and trimming until it all fits.
5. Run the wires, put the cover on, and mount the GPS.
How close does it come to anything? Not very close at all. It easily clears all the dash stuff. Doesn't come into contact with the windscreen (pretty much follows the contour of the dash as you turn the bars. By the time I pushed the unit back far enough to hit anything, it would be pointed up so far that I couldn't read the screen.
In the lowest position I have shown it above, it blocks the fuel gauge. It the upper position, it blocks a little of the speedo. The good news is that there is a speedo in the display of the unit. I can pretty much use either one. Then you could put it just about anywhere in between.
I think I could have moved the unit further out on the bars, but it would have required more cutting on the cover. I tried to make sure I didn't just slice a big chunk out of the cover so that it was so weak it would just break easily. I left a little connector between to maintain some structure to it.
It is not hard to do, but does require patience.