Street Pilot - First Impressions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 9:37 pm Thread Starter

Street Pilot - First Impressions

So, I finally got around to having a Tupperware party in the garage this morning in order to run the wiring for the GPS. Not too bad, but we all know the LT is a monster to work on.

I had created a route the other night to my closest BMW dealer (about 70 miles). I searched for the dealer in the POI index and found them. I have since downloaded the dealer waypoint directory. Building the route on the unit is definitely not an easy or straightforward task. It really isn't that hard, unless you want to define the route yourself. Even by setting the preference to avoid major highways (Interstates), it did not even come close to the way I like to go. I had to add a point in the middle to get it to come close to my usual route.

Adding that point in the middle of the route seems easy enough. Search out a small town along the way and add it inbetween the begining and ending points. The only thing I was missing was recalculating the route. Not entirely intuitive.

Ok, so I had something close to what I wanted. Right away, it did not pick the most traveled road less than 1/4 mile from my house. I am used to that with internet based mapping, but even they get this particular road correct. No big deal, I just went the way I wanted. Got me to thinking about places where I won't know where I am going though.

When I got close to that mid point that I had added, it again wanted me to go off the state highway onto a secondary road. Now this secondary road did not lead directly to the way point I had added, it was a completely wrong turn in the wrong direction. I decided to play along and followed just for the heck of it.

Once I had taken that turn, I knew I wasn't going to go anywhere near the way point I had added. I just decided to use this as a chance to explore new roads. I got pretty tired of it trying to divert me back toward the way point I had added, so I eventually pulled over and removed that point from the route.

I can see where these way points could end up being an issue. I don't really want to go to that way point, I just want it to direct me that way. If I pass it without going directly to it, then I don't care. Is there something different than a way point that I should be using?

Now I had that way point removed and it could just route me from my current position to the dealership. That was going OK, except it kept directing me down dirt roads. I don't think the unit itself knows if roads are dirt. The software on the computer is supposed to, but the unit does not seem to. There were probably a dozen or more times that I did a false slow down at a crossing to determine that the road was dirt. Made me wish I was still riding a GS.

I won't say that I ignored the directions after a while, but I pretty much made my own judgement about whether I was going to turn at the upcoming road or not. We were both happy when we finally reached the dealership (me and the GPS).

On the way home, I turned the unit on and found my home in the Favorites section and pressed GoTo. What I liked about this was that I just decided to wander somewhat on the way and the GPS just always kept updating to find a way no matter what I decided to do. Pretty much the same as on the way up, but I didn't feel obligated to follow any particular path. If the road kinda look good on the screen, I took it. I ended up taking some well groomed dirt roads, just because I got myself into a bind that would have required some serious back tracking if I didn't. The big babe did all right up to about 30 mph on those roads. Mostly good packed dirt, but some sand and some loose gravel.

I hope the route building I have done for my 5400 mile trip coming up pays off better than today's little adventure. Of course I have hand selected just about every road and turn along the way. Today was fun because I knew that I could go any way I wanted and always have the peace of mind that it would be able to lead me toward the house no matter what. The dirt road thing was a little disappointing, but now I know better.

I mounted the unit on the handle bars and plan to post pics of that tomorrow. It is too late now to get a good picture of it. It is pretty versatile and I need to try some of the other positions. I meant to do that today, but I forgot to move it around at my stops.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 12th, 2006, 7:23 am

Thanks for your review Eric.

2002 K1200LT SE
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 2:24 pm

Smile Streetpilot 2610 is great.

Yes your GPS knows if there are dirt roads, however it will do what you tell it to, you need to configure it to avoid dirt roads etc. and do the routing the way you want it to. I don't know what model of Streetpilot that you have but my 2610 with v8 of the North American maps only routes me on to dirt roads and side roads when I have it set to do so. I've use my 2610 for about 140,000 miles and it has led me all over the US and parts of Canada without problem.

You can specify which waypoint is home, and then there is a single button to "route to home".

For your other route for your 5400 mile trip, if it is set to auto-route the first time that you make a wrong turn it will re-route you using the parameters that you have setup in the GPS.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't Panic!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 3:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas42
Yes your GPS knows if there are dirt roads, however it will do what you tell it to, you need to configure it to avoid dirt roads etc. and do the routing the way you want it to. I don't know what model of Streetpilot that you have but my 2610 with v8 of the North American maps only routes me on to dirt roads and side roads when I have it set to do so. I've use my 2610 for about 140,000 miles and it has led me all over the US and parts of Canada without problem.
Well, then it just doesn't know what roads are dirt in my part of Michigan. I have the 2720 with V7 software and it is (and has been) set to avoid dirt roads. So, it just doesn't know the roads are dirt. Something about the area between Saint Joseph and Grand Rapids. I'll assume it is a problem with the base map. This wasn't just one or two roads either, it happened at least 5, but probably closer to 10 times.

It is only as good as the data Garmin gave it.

Eric
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 8:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecirwin
It is only as good as the data Garmin gave it.

Eric
Just wait til it routes you the wrong way on a one way road.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in