Navigator V SD card - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By 12R12RT
  • 1 Post By 12R12RT
  • 1 Post By cws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 10:53 am Thread Starter

Navigator V SD card

Can anyone tell me what size Mico SD card I can put in my Nav V? Alls do I need an SD or a SDHC?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 1:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Re: Navigator V SD card

As you know, the Nav V is a Garmin zumo 590. According to Garmin, all the current (not 400 or 500/550 series) zumo series, including the 590, can accept a 32 Gigabyte card. All speeds are supported.

See here: http://support.garmin.com/support/se...-000000000000}

I have heard that some users are having success with 64Gb cards, but that is over what Garmin says will work. If the unit will not read it correctly Garmin will not stand behind the problem.

If you use a 64Gb card and have a problem, proper formatting may resolve the issue. Rather than go into that, I would refer you to this: SD Memory Card Capabilities for Navigator V - BMWSportTouring Forums.

Remember that "being able to read a card" and "being able to read the card in a reasonable period of time" do not necessarily go hand-in-hand.

I believe that the Nav V has 16Gb of internal storage. At present that is enough to store the 2015.3 North American maps with a half Gig left over. If that remains stable, then the SD card need be only big enough to store your music and perhaps routes (though a half Gig is quite enough for route storage on the device). Deleting unnecessary voice files from the device is not a bad memory management technique, as most of us would only want one or two voices in one or two languages; it frees up a bit of internal memory.

Tom
I.Willis likes this.

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650

Last edited by 12R12RT; Dec 22nd, 2014 at 1:42 pm.
post #3 of 7 Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 2:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12R12RT View Post
As you know, the Nav V is a Garmin zumo 590. According to Garmin, all the current (not 400 or 500/550 series) zumo series, including the 590, can accept a 32 Gigabyte card. All speeds are supported.

See here: What is the largest size Secure Digital (SD) card that an automotive device can accept?

I have heard that some users are having success with 64Gb cards, but that is over what Garmin says will work. If the unit will not read it correctly Garmin will not stand behind the problem.

If you use a 64Gb card and have a problem, proper formatting may resolve the issue. Rather than go into that, I would refer you to this: SD Memory Card Capabilities for Navigator V - BMWSportTouring Forums.

Remember that "being able to read a card" and "being able to read the card in a reasonable period of time" do not necessarily go hand-in-hand.

I believe that the Nav V has 16Gb of internal storage. At present that is enough to store the 2015.3 North American maps with a half Gig left over. If that remains stable, then the SD card need be only big enough to store your music and perhaps routes (though a half Gig is quite enough for route storage on the device). Deleting unnecessary voice files from the device is not a bad memory management technique, as most of us would only want one or two voices in one or two languages; it frees up a bit of internal memory.

Tom
Hi Tom Thanks that's a big help.

Ian

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 3:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

You're welcome, Ian.

I did misspeak on on issue, though in a good way.

I said that it is my understanding that the Nav V has 16Gb of internal memory and that was enough for the maps with a little bit left over. I don't have one in my hand, but I believe that there should be a lot left over! Probably on the order of 12Gb, not a half Gb.

You see, my zumo 660 has 4Gb of internal memory and, with 2015.3 North America installed plus all the other Garmin files, a few pictures, many waypoints, and a handful of routes and tracks, I have half a gig left. Stands to reason the Nav V should have 12Gb left. Perhaps someone who has one in hand could clarify.

Tom
I.Willis likes this.

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650
post #5 of 7 Old Dec 26th, 2014, 8:28 pm

i am pretty sure my Nav V only has 8 gb internal storage, I have a 32 gb card installed as well. I think the 32 gb limit has to do with how the cards are formatted, if you need a bigger card there are probably ways to format them that aren't totally official.

Gerhard
post #6 of 7 Old Dec 26th, 2014, 9:45 pm

I'm have the 64 Gig card in mine. No problems so far but you do need to format it with second party software. M$ does not recognize 32 bit format over 32 gig.

Greg
2014 R1200RT
South Central California
post #7 of 7 Old Dec 26th, 2014, 9:49 pm
cws

Garage

From zumoforums.com
No problem to get a 64GB SD card from SanDisk card to work fine in the 590LM. However you must reformat the card to FAT32 (using the MS-DOS FAT setting), add a subdirectory, as example for music call it MP3 then add your music.

Running a 32GB in mine (590LM), that's way big enough for my music... don't have the issue here (Australia) with needing an huge memory for extra maps.
Another Zumo forum user stated a 128GB is also OK... however I think the critical point may be the FAT32 formatting..
the main issue with that is limited to a 4GB max file size.... but that's really only an issue for video in my experience which is overcome by having multiple files within the upper folder (think GoPro and other video cams).. unless your maps are over 4GB per file.. and I'd doubt that.

SD v SDHC.... the HC just means High Capacity.... more GB. and you don't need high speed (eg Class10) cards for music, and I'd assume maps. Class 4 or 6 will be cheaper and plenty fast enough.
I.Willis likes this.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in