GPS Factory mount issue - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 3:34 pm Thread Starter

GPS Factory mount issue

I didn't want to put my Garmin GPS unit on the factory mount where there is also a unit wiring termination protruding. I'm using the Pilot shelf with a TouraTech mount.

My dealer said the tank mount has to stay in place because it's part of the radio cover. I don't think that's correct but I wouldn't know. The service manager said that I would have to replace the entire top unit of the radio assembly for several hundred dollars or just live with the unused mount.

Is the dealer right??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 4:46 pm

Can I safely assume that you have an '05 or '06? IIRC, that mount is installed by the dealers after they take delivery of the bike. Therefore, it seems to me that removal should not be a problem.
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 5:21 pm

Removing the GPS mount

The problem you'll have is holes for the mount and a hole about an inch in diameter for the cables. You can remove the mount but you'll need to come up with an idea to cover the holes and make it look good. I'd give it a try if I were you.

Bruce Hodges

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

You're correct, it's a new 2006 with Voice II. The dealer's solution included trying to craft something to cover the four screw holes and the larger cable hole in the middle. Maybe I could employ the services of a metal fabricator to make a cover plate that has the very slight concavity formed to the tank surface, then have it chromed and glue weld it to the tank. That would look pretty nice!
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 5:32 pm

I concur with Bruce, I fitted this mount myself and there are four holes, plus the huge 1" hole as mentioned. Even removing it involves removing most of the tupperware. I'd be tempted to mount something else in place of the GPS rather than remove it.
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 7:52 pm

I just seen a person buy a 06 that was prewired for the GPS system. He didn't want the GPS system so the dealer removed the wiring and used a BMW emblem to cover the holes. I thought it came out pretty nice.
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

I'm going to ask my dealer if he got the LT from a warehouse with the current setup or did he add the mount and wiring. If he did, then he should still have the original cover sans mounting holes.
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:36 am

The dealers just drill holes in the plastic cover per the install manual for the factory GPS bracket.

So many toys out there, so little time!
2015 BMW K1600GTLE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Piaggio 250 Betty's toy
2001 HD FLSTSI
1957 BMW R60
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA #26695
RA #39456
MOA #150880

Always looking for more...
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 11:58 am

Try to find someone to swap with you, I used that mount on my 02, worked great.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 15th, 2009, 6:13 pm

Re: GPS Factory mount issue

I'm looking for information about this factory installed mount. I just bought an LT and it came with the factory mount. It's got two wires hanging out of the hole behind the mount.

When I rode the bike off the lot, I was aware that there was a cover of some sort for this mounting bracket. It was in the left saddlebag. I saw it there, wrapped in bubble wrap. But what I didn't know was, it really isn't a cover intended to fit over the mount when not using a GPS. It's a plastic accessory, painted to match the color of the plastic around the radio. It fits over the factory installed bracket, but with the cables in the way, there is no way to use this cover. I tried to tuck the wires down in the hole is far as I could, but there's just no way to make this thing fit. So, I'm not really sure what this "cover" is for. Perhaps it's actually an adapter that is installed when used with a certain type of BMW Navigator GPS. I don't really know.

I have learned that the BMW Motorrad Navigator III is actually a Garmin Street Pilot 2620, sans the BMW "Advanced Mounting Cradle". In theory I should be able to take a generic Garmin 2620 and plug it straight into the BMW connectors and mount it to the mount. But that's not exactly the GPS I want to use.

I would prefer to mount a Zumo 660 on this bike as soon as that GPS hits the street. I am trying to find some information on converting the cables that came with the factory mount so that they can be used with other GPS untis. The factory mount has two cables. Just thinking logically about it, I think that one of the cables is the power cable, bringing juice to the GPS from the bike without having to mess with batteries in the GPS. I believe the other cable is an audio-out cable, allowing the GPS to route its voice commands to an external audio system.

Can anyone point me to some info on these wires, if there are any cable converters, adapters, etc that will allow me to use any GPS of my choosing with this BMW factory mount on my beautiful shiny new 1200 LT???
post #11 of 12 Old Apr 16th, 2009, 11:48 am

The small cover you found in the bag is part of the mounting system for the factory GPS. The cradle and cover attach to the mount with the 4 bolts/nuts you will find with the cover. The cover is not intended to be used by itself I don't think. The cable with the round end attaches to the cradle to allow the 4 buttons on the cradle to work. The other other cable attaches to the GPS. I have the Nav 3 so I don't know if the power cable would fit other models. BTW the hole on the little cover is only big enough for one of the cables. I used a Dremel and cut a hole the same size on the other side of the cover for the cable that connects to the cradle.

Scott
2009 LT
post #12 of 12 Old Apr 16th, 2009, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerdad
The small cover you found in the bag is part of the mounting system for the factory GPS. The cradle and cover attach to the mount with the 4 bolts/nuts you will find with the cover. The cover is not intended to be used by itself I don't think. The cable with the round end attaches to the cradle to allow the 4 buttons on the cradle to work. The other other cable attaches to the GPS. I have the Nav 3 so I don't know if the power cable would fit other models. BTW the hole on the little cover is only big enough for one of the cables. I used a Dremel and cut a hole the same size on the other side of the cover for the cable that connects to the cradle.
The OEM power cable works with my Garmin Streetpilot 2820. That same cable also provides the voice output (in mono) to the Voice II intercom installed on my bike.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in