First use of Garmin 2730 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:43 am Thread Starter

First use of Garmin 2730

Thought I would report on my first impressions of the 2730.
I have a 2610 and a 2620 and like the Garmin product line as a whole. The 2730 is un-believable in comparison (IMHO) There is a bit of a learning curve because it's controls are slightly different but nothing major. The physical sizing stays the same so I can still use the same Tourtech locking mount. The screen resolution is quite a bit better.
The 2 biggest improvements are the XM radio (built-in) and the FM transmitter. I have resisted (up till now) going the XM route but after using it with this unit I am a convert. I think my CD player is pretty much retired ! The FM transmitter, although I have heard complaints about it's reception capabilities, works flawlessly on both my LT and my cars. I use 100.1 as my receiving channel but that would obviously change for different areas of North America if that channel was already in use. It allows for listening to music which cuts out when GPS voice direction is being given.
My only complaint would be that Garmin keeps coming up with "newer and better" products and that means we have to keep pulling our wallets out. At this rate the "add-ons" for the LT will out-pace the initial purchase price .
A friend of mine recently explained to me that he justifies his "extra" purchases for his HD as "safety chrome" and his wife accepted this explanation. I'm checking to see if she has a sister .
For any-one who is contemplating the purchase of a GPS unit I would strongly recommend looking at this model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:00 am

Roy,

I have been an XM subscriber for 6 years. I subscribe to the US XMRadio even
though I live in Canada

A couple questions....

Did you buy the GPS in Canada?

What XM do you subscribe to? If Canada XM do you know if you were able to
subscribe to the US XM

I was basicaly wondering if the unit was bought in Canada, if XM has some way
of blocking the activation process so that you can only subscribe in Canada with that unit

Thanks
Ed

Ed Bruce
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 12:45 am Thread Starter

Purchased the unit at GPS Central in Calgary and signed up to Canada XM. I'm new to the XM thing (and enjoying it) so I didn't really look to see if the U.S. version was an option.

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 5:08 am

Take the XM away...

Any major benefits over the 2610?
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 7:24 am
Bouncer

The user interface on the 27xx/28xx is light years ahead of the 26xx series.

I think Garmin figured out all the weaknesses of the previous version of the user interface and made some fantastic changes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 6:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
The user interface on the 27xx/28xx is light years ahead of the 26xx series.

I think Garmin figured out all the weaknesses of the previous version of the user interface and made some fantastic changes.
Thanks for spending more of my money Jeff. You're really getting good at this lately!
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 9:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Thanks for spending more of my money Jeff. You're really getting good at this lately!
I agree with Joe. STOP IT! All this GPS talk is driving me nuts - Zumo, SP2730, SP2820, yada, yada, yada. Now if I could only figure out if I can take the 2730 or 2820 and replace my Nav II and interface it with my Beahr.

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
'05 K1200LT - '02 Suzuki V-Strom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in