Online Route Building? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:49 am Thread Starter

Online Route Building?

I am planning to purchase a GPS, but for now, I am without. Meanwhile, I am also planning a trip for August and need to communicate possible routes with the other two guys I am traveling with.

Is there any online resource for building trip routes? This resource needs to include Canada, because that is a big part of my plan. North from Michigan, Southeast to Ottawa, Northeast to Qebec City, Southeast into New Brunswick, continue into Nova Scotia, ferry ride to Maine, through New Hampshire and Vermont to upstate New York, and then find a way home.

I hope to have the GPS before I leave, but we are working out routes next week.

Thanks,
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 1:10 pm

<Snip>I am planning to purchase a GPS, but for now, I am without. Meanwhile, I am also planning a trip for August and need to communicate possible routes with the other two guys I am traveling with.

Microsoft street and trips $ 30. I am sure each in the group can afford great tool. Then get the garmin 2610
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 2:08 pm Thread Starter

I didn't realize Streets and Trips was that cheap. I could buy it and use it at work, but fortunately I use Mac at home.

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 2:41 pm

Try this one out.

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...lannerMain.jsp

its not great, but people have used it and sent me links to their plans. It seems to be ok.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 2:56 pm

If you buy the 2610 and the Map software, you can "share" Map files which can include specific Waypoints and Routes. Those files can be shared/transferred, etc... if they have the SW, too.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 2:57 pm Thread Starter

Bummer, doesn't look like the Harley Ride Planner goes into Canada! At least it won't let me put in a Canadian address.
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 2:59 pm Thread Starter

I don't think that the other two will be stepping up to the GPS. I'm not positive of that, but I will soon find out. The first meeting to discuss ride plans is next week and we are supposed to bring printed copies for everyone. Doesn't seem too high-tech at this point.
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 3:20 pm

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecirwin
I don't think that the other two will be stepping up to the GPS. I'm not positive of that, but I will soon find out. The first meeting to discuss ride plans is next week and we are supposed to bring printed copies for everyone. Doesn't seem too high-tech at this point.
You can install mapsource or streets and trips on your friends computers and exchange maps.
Streets and trips is very use friendly , and waypoints transfer to mapsource with the use of GPSU allows compatibility between both applications.

PeteM aka Murray
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 9:22 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecirwin
...but fortunately I use Mac at home.

Route USA by Route 66 works on the Mac and includes Canada, but it isn't the best software for this kind of thing. Kind of clunky & cluttered, very un-Mac-like.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 9:36 pm Thread Starter

I have been playing with Google Earth tonight. Very interesting, but I don't think I can do intermediate destinations.

It sounds like Streets and Trips is the better option at this point, even better than upgrading to Google Earth Plus. I will have to use it at work, but I will have to use the work computer for the GPS anyway, since Garmin hasn't released their software for Mac yet.

MapsOnUs.com is good for U.S. maps and allows up to 5 intermediate destinations. So you can kind of force it to go where you want. At least for a start point, then 5 more points, and an end point.
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 5:37 am Thread Starter

Google Earth doesn't seem to have an intermediate destination or "way point" type of function. I have been able to force it to go where I want by creating multiple short trips.

Fairly easy to use, but not very powerful. I think you can do some actual file editing and piece multiple routes together, but I haven't looked too deeply into that yet. Something about editing KML files.

Having some fun anyway!
Eric
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 6:50 am

Online Route Building

The Michelin site does routing software:

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...MaHomePage.htm

If you have access to an iPaq or similar device I could let you keep an off site back up Tom Tom for me. Enjoy your trip.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #13 of 14 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:36 am Thread Starter

Seems that Via Michelin only allows 3 intermediate destinations, unless there is routing somewhere else that I am not seeing. They also don't seem to have many cities that aren't right along the border with the U.S. in their database.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't have an iPaq or similar.

Google Earth is still leading the way for free solutions. It is time consuming, but I am getting what I want. I may still order Streets and Trips, but I need to have some maps printed for next week. Google Earth will also be good for exchanging with the guys between meetings too. Of course, if we all had Streets and Trips we could do that too.

Eric
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 12:12 am
RMW

I found V7 of mapsource will allow you to view your route on Google earth. Has a drop down menu selection under VIEW. Shows waypoints etc. very cool.

There are several save options that look like they will allow you to save it for web viewing. I haven't played with it much but I will give it a try when I get a chance to see what the save options are.

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in