Mac and Garmin - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 11:09 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Cool Mac and Garmin

Now that the Intel Macs have arrived and can run Windoze has anyone loaded Windoze and then loaded the Garmin software and see if there are any issues. Issues would be:

1. Can you run Mapsource?

2. Can you communicate with the GPS unit directly and perform
a. Uploads
b. Downloads

3. Can you communicate with the Memory Card directly and perform
a. Uploads
b. Downloads

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 7:29 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile I'll Let You Know

Dan, sorry I can't answer your specific questions right now, but in about two weeks picking up a 13.3" model. Perfect size for touring long term, and as I understand it, will run a proper version of windows (plan to use XP-Pro as per our current PC) The only issue I have regarding that particular model is the absence of a express card/34 slot. Also buying now, I think I have to buy "Boot Camp" the software that starts up the windows PC, latter on I heard it will come supplied. Oh well, such is life. Cheers

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 8:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton
Dan, sorry I can't answer your specific questions right now, but in about two weeks picking up a 13.3" model. Perfect size for touring long term, and as I understand it, will run a proper version of windows (plan to use XP-Pro as per our current PC) The only issue I have regarding that particular model is the absence of a express card/34 slot. Also buying now, I think I have to buy "Boot Camp" the software that starts up the windows PC, latter on I heard it will come supplied. Oh well, such is life. Cheers
You can get boot camp for free here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 8:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
Now that the Intel Macs have arrived and can run Windoze has anyone loaded Windoze and then loaded the Garmin software and see if there are any issues. Issues would be:

1. Can you run Mapsource?

2. Can you communicate with the GPS unit directly and perform
a. Uploads
b. Downloads

3. Can you communicate with the Memory Card directly and perform
a. Uploads
b. Downloads
My understanding is Mac will run windows better than a PC. Should be able to everything you do on PC. Looking at gettting a MacBook next month.

post #5 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 9:16 pm

I can't comment on this specific issue, but I don't think that Macs run Windows better than PCs. At this time, it is very capable of running Windows, but there have been issues reported with peripherals. The GPS may be one of those peripherals. The issue is in the drivers for those peripherals. All of this is going by what I have read. Hopefully there will be someone here that will respond with specific experience.

BTW, I am a Mac person. Used to be that I did most of my job on a Unix box, used Windows for email and general office software, and ran a Mac at home. Now Unix is out of the picture and all of my job is done on Windows and all of my personal stuff is Mac. I have used Mac at home for about 13 years, yikes! Bad news is I bought an iMac last spring and they intro'd the Intel machines this year. This bad boy needs to last a few years. The Macs usually do last longer, but the Intel thing might speed up obsolescence.

Eric
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecirwin
I can't comment on this specific issue, but I don't think that Macs run Windows better than PCs. At this time, it is very capable of running Windows, but there have been issues reported with peripherals. The GPS may be one of those peripherals. The issue is in the drivers for those peripherals. All of this is going by what I have read. Hopefully there will be someone here that will respond with specific experience.

BTW, I am a Mac person. Used to be that I did most of my job on a Unix box, used Windows for email and general office software, and ran a Mac at home. Now Unix is out of the picture and all of my job is done on Windows and all of my personal stuff is Mac. I have used Mac at home for about 13 years, yikes! Bad news is I bought an iMac last spring and they intro'd the Intel machines this year. This bad boy needs to last a few years. The Macs usually do last longer, but the Intel thing might speed up obsolescence.

Eric
Hi, Eric. Question (or a thought at least). I'm not a Mac user (run two desktop PCs and a laptop - all Dell), so my thought may not present a problem for Mac users, butt.... I've heard folks in the past say how Macs are essentially free from hackers and viruses, etc., because there just aren't plentiful numbers of Macs out there. Windoze presents more of a target for hackers, due to numbers of programs running and the widespread impact from a 'good' virus. So, my question is: should a Mac user running Windoze now, be concerned about an increase in the possibility of virus attacks? Just curious. A good anti-virus program should solve the problem if in fact Macs suddenly become fav targets for the PC-bored hackers?? You think???
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:20 pm

Eric- OK I got alittle carried away. Should have said runs windows better than a cheap PC. I too am a Mac user, have 5 of them. My son's high school is completely on Apple. Every student has one and all homework, assignments, notes, etc. are all on computer. It had some bugs, but is very cool now.

Dick- It is my understanding that you will need some anti-virus software for when you run windows on the Mac.

post #8 of 14 Old Jul 8th, 2006, 6:37 am

Dick,

What you have to keep in mind is it is not really the computer that is under attack from viruses, it is the operating system. So, any time you are running Windows and you are attached to the internet, you are potentially vulnerable to all viruses written for Windows. Now there may be some specific virus targets that aren't running/working on a Mac system running Windows.

The Mac operating system does have viruses written for it, but so far they have relatively few and far between. Those viruses have also been realatively harmless, required very specific actions to activate them, and/or are easily contained.

Nobody is immune out here, but so far the Mac is the less sickly of these two. Not sure how Linux compares.

Just remember it is the software that is under attack, not the hardware. So it really doesn't matter what hardware you run. An HP/DELL/Lenovo/Sony/Apple all running Windows are vulnerable to the same viruses.

Eric
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 8th, 2006, 6:41 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Will This "Mac" remain virus free?

Thanks for the link to 'Boot Camp" much appreciated.
One other question was what effect on the Mac side of things would a massive "crash" on the PC cause, say caused by a virus. Say something that trashed the drive? I run both Mac & PC and have never had a problem with either, but do run Norton Anti Virus on XP Pro. I was told the average time to catch a virus on an unprotected PC connected to the net is around 12 minutes, That's scarry! Time will tell

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 8th, 2006, 7:52 pm

A PC type virus will obviously only be able to run while you are booted into XP. The scary thing is that if you get a malicious virus that does data damage, that damage could be done to the OSX partition of the drive. Both OS's have access to both partitions.

So, if you are going to dual boot, you have the risks of both OS's. Not just one or the other. Thankfully you don't double your risk. You have to be careful no matter what OS you are running and no matter what hardware you are running it on.

All of this should be fairly obvious, but I hope it helps to clarify things.
Eric
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 8th, 2006, 10:02 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Can't help with the XP/Garmin question, but I'm typing this on a 13.3" Black MacBook. It works well, and is a good balance between screen size and bike portability. The new screens are also sharper and clearer than my old 12" PowerBook. I'm still looking for the perfect case, just barley bigger than the MacBook, but with a few extra pockets and flaps for the necessities.

I'm also waiting for Garmin's Mac-specific software, but no word yet on expected delivery date.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 12:08 pm

Found this on Mac World. Looks like a viable option to Boot Camp.
http://www.macworld.com/2006/06/revi...rc=mwweek-0710

post #13 of 14 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 9:25 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler921
Found this on Mac World. Looks like a viable option to Boot Camp.
http://www.macworld.com/2006/06/revi...rc=mwweek-0710
I saw that, too. Much better than Boot Camp, as it allows you to run both Mac & Windows simultaneously. If forced to use Windows software on a Mac, then this seems like a great solution.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 5:25 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Prefer a clean break between OS's

Interesting option to boot camp, but I still wonder if the "virtual" issues, re USB drivers etc, especially to garmin, will work. Although reluctant to buy a PC, so far I've no issues with it, and if boot camp only allows XP that's fine, as that's all I know. Next year, the native mac software from garmin should be more convenient, providing it works well. Thanks for the links to the software. Cheers

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in