NewTom Tom GPS for Bikes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 7:41 pm Thread Starter

NewTom Tom GPS for Bikes

Got this info in an email from Amazon.com today:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...516687-4415900

I'm learning about GPSs, in anticipation of a purchase and installation on my '05 LT. Anyone have the Tom Tom, or know about it/seen it, can recommend or un-recommend it?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 9:27 pm

Wink Gps

I don't know about the specific model you have listed, but I did get to play with a Tom Tom 700 model last weekend. It is a nice unit with all the maps already loaded in, lot of nice features and quick to re-route you when you miss a turn.

But if I were to have to pick a new GPS unit right now, I'd go for the Garmin 376. Reason, it also has the weather and traffic updates built in. The weather function really works, saw the storm coming in on a radar screen on the GPS unit. I thought the sales person was kidding me, but when I walked to the door, the rain was there in less than a minute. You would at least have a heads up to get your rain gear on or find another route.

hth

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

post #3 of 6 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 7:35 am

Thumbs up

I have the Garmin 276C and love it. I move it between the LT and my cars. Maps are great - even lots of backroads that I couldnt imagine would be in there. Spent last week in Ky and WV backroads - it was invaluable. Waterproof (can be used as a marine GPS), great in the sun. Love the unit.

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 8:13 am

I looked at the Tom Tom Rider, Motorcycle version, last year at Heathrow Airport in London. It seemed a little small to me and I didn't see anyway to do routing on a PC and down load it to the unit, doesn't mean it can't be done, I just didn't see it. I'm going to stick the Garmin just because of what I've heard of thier service and support stateside. If Tom Tom's service and support stateside is good, then I don't know why it shouldn't be a good unit. JM2CW

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 8:10 pm

The Garmin GPS' really are still the best for a motorcycle. I like the idea that the Tom-tom is for a motorcycle but you can't load routes from other riders, and the routing is limited to the slab. The funny voice stuff is a hoot, but would probably get old really fast.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks to all for the comments. This thread was intended to be just a "hey, have you seen THIS brand of GPS?" thing, but it rightly evolved into my real question, which is: What IS the best GPS out there?

I won't be going with a Tom Tom, if nothing else because of their annoying TV commercials. I've read a little about the Garmins and they are widespread, which has to mean something. To that end, some new questions:

How does Garmin's 376 differ from the 276?

Do Garmin's 478/378 models replace the 376/276?

I thought the weather service was an extra monthly fee, and pretty expensive? I recall reading a post many months ago about that. It might have been Dave Dragon who has that service on his GPS.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in