GPS Advice Needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 1st, 2014, 12:23 am Thread Starter

GPS Advice Needed

Let me start by stating that I think MC GPS units are over priced. I have used my Nuvi on my bike and I have used a GPS app on my smart phone on the bike but neither is a perfect compromise. I would also like to start making custom routes which means I would need something I can download from a program such as Base Camp. I found that the GPS Store has the Zumo 660LM on sale for $499 and can get free shipping. The price still seems steep but starting to look more realistic. Knowing the 66x series is the older unit in the Garmin Zumo line, would you buy one for this price if you were in the market for a new GPS? Would you wait to see if the price comes down more? Or would you spend more money for one of the newer 390 or 590 series Zumos and why? Keep in mind I would BT everything to my helmet via a Sena SMH10. All advice is appreciated and welcome all opinions.

Thanks-John

2007 BMW R1200RT
2005 SV 650 "nekid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 1st, 2014, 3:33 am

Garage
Re: GPS Advice Needed

I have a BMW Nav IV (rebadged 660) & also use a Sena SMH10.

The 660 is certainly a capable machine, though it is a "legacy" product, meaning Garmin will not provide any more updates. Also the memory size and clock speed are not as good as they should be. Certainly the latest European maps do not fit on the device, and occasionally I get a white out where all roads are blanked out wil the processor catches up. This makes navigating "interesting!"

My opinion I would go with either the 390 or 590. If you listen to music then the 590 would be the choice as the 390 does not have an MP3 player.

The 660 likes to take all the BT protocols so trying to do a selective pairing can be problematic.

Also another reason both the 390 & 590 work better with the latest Basecamp than the 660. You can select a "Do not announce" on the shaping point which is ignored by the 660 (unless you select a cross roads) but apparently works with the latest devices.

I cannot comment as I have not upgraded.

If I were to replace this device I would either choose the 590 (I listen to music) or the latest BMW Navigator V, which is very similar to the 590.

Caveat - I have read on the Zumo Forums that people are not happy with the 590. However people are also not happy with the 660, and their BMW in this forum. So you pays your money and take your chances.

Good luck with your decision!

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 1st, 2014, 5:41 am

Welp ... I'm going to throw in my 2 cents. Maybe this "route" (pun intended) won't be for you, but it might make sense to another reader.

I whole-heartedly agree with your first statement ... "Let me start by stating that I think MC GPS units are over priced.". In fact, you left out the word "RIDICULOUSLY". I will NEVER pay that kind of money for another GPS. Garmin is raping the motorcycling community. And as long as we keep buying them, they're going to keep charging the high dollar.

Option B: Buy something like this Garmin model. No, it isn't waterproof. But for under $350, you can buy TWO of them. If one fails, you have a spare in the tankbag as a back-up. And you'd be surprised how much water these non-waterproof units can tolerate. A few years ago, I bought a Nuvi with Lifetime Maps off CraigsList for $65. After many many miles (and rain storms) on my Concours14, it is still working.

I bought my 2 kids their own Nuvi's off eBay ... each for around $60 delivered. They both work great and have lifetime maps.

- Joe

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 1st, 2014, 5:32 pm

If you depend upon good information about food, lodging, gas, places to buy items like Walmart etc Garmin products are NOT reliable!!

for that reason when I travel I rely upon internet connection of some type. i'm still using my garmin 665 but would love to replace it with a good cell phone and aftermarket software for GPS routing.

you can use Mapquest to make a route or routes and down load them into recent and current Garmin products. I find it is more reliable and easier to modify routes in Bing maps, then jot down the major points constituting the route and then go into mapquest to input the salient points. Its easier to spot dirt road in Bing maps than mapquest.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 1st, 2014, 10:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa View Post
If you depend upon good information about food, lodging, gas, places to buy items like Walmart etc Garmin products are NOT reliable!!

for that reason when I travel I rely upon internet connection of some type. i'm still using my garmin 665 but would love to replace it with a good cell phone and aftermarket software for GPS routing.

you can use Mapquest to make a route or routes and down load them into recent and current Garmin products. I find it is more reliable and easier to modify routes in Bing maps, then jot down the major points constituting the route and then go into mapquest to input the salient points. Its easier to spot dirt road in Bing maps than mapquest.

Bob
I agree with you. I would love to do it all with my smart phone but the GPS apps I have used are still a bit lacking, although some of them do offer off-line maps so you don't need a cell signal to use them. I wonder how good Garmins new phone app is working or how much the in app purchases cost to get a fully functioning GPS and if you can download routes to the phone? I may just stick with my phone & Nuvi 2455 between the two and a sandwich baggie I got just about everything I need. Someday I would like to wrap it all into one device.

2007 BMW R1200RT
2005 SV 650 "nekid"
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 12:37 am
Cat Herder

Garage

Do Not buy anything that has BMW printed on it. The Nav 4 is a 660 and it is a POS. The Nav 5 is over kill for your bike. Unless you have a newer bike you can't take advantage of the cool features.

I would get a 665 with the XM puck or any of the newer units. Its very nice to have the XM feature and live weather updates .

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 2:39 pm

Google maps or GPS lets you down load portions of the USA, what is necessary for at least a day's ride. the android cell I bought to experiment with, a cheep Tracfone, the display is to small to see for use as a gps. I still plan on trying it out using the voice directions.

Unfortunately it looks as if I cannot use this cell under voice "command" unless I initialise Voice first via a "button" and then mount it or plunk it in my pocket.

"google Play" on the web has a few options for GPS software, one of which is from Garmin USA and another from Garmin europe, plus I believe also Tom Tom and Magellin?

At least one of them can be run in constant contact via ur cell--I assume that is handy in traffic jams or in large cities, or looking for a specific place while riding.

the processor speeds, like those of desk top computers keep increasing with multiple processors. so off hand they might be able to keep up with the speed necessary to function as a good GPS?

Once i'm done playing around with other projects I plan on buying a used GPS for an auto with voice commands and see if there is any way to disable the built in mic and attach a blue tooth receiver in its place? A lot will depend upon the input impedence and relative volume necessary, something past my present understanding. but some one some where on the net can solve that problem or has already done so.

bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in