2720 to Autocom - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:17 am Thread Starter

Cool 2720 to Autocom

Looks like I sold the RT so I'm ordering the 2720 for the LT...
Any recommendations on ways of mounting and connection to Autocom system (Active 7 smart) are appreciated.
Thanx

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 9:31 pm

Several of us have opted for the BMR Co-Pilot Shelf; you can either use the (plastic) Garmin motorcycle cradle or the (metal) Touratech GPs mount; either will attach to the BMR shelf. It's a pretty simple matter to power the Garmin motorcycle cable from the map light; the cable has a mini audio jack. Autocom will sell you a patch cable to connect the Garmin audio output to the phone (priority) port on your Active-7.

If you also want to use your phone, you need the "dual audio input" splitter. Autocom will know which cable you need for your configuration.
post #3 of 6 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 8:27 am Thread Starter

Thanx
copilot it is.....................

IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 10:04 am Thread Starter

power ?

So do I still use the lighter plug/speaker provided and patch in a female or cut it off and patch into map light ?
Sorry but I'm not electrically inclined.

IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #5 of 6 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 12:22 pm

There is a Garmin bike specific power lead for the 2720 that does not include the speaker, but does have a lead that allows you to connect it to the Autocom with a patch cord Part 1294 (this is the new part number) Autocom have re-numbered most of their stuff recently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garmin%202720%20power%20cradle.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	4495   Click image for larger version

Name:	2720%20power.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	4496  
post #6 of 6 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 4:27 pm

What Malki said.

The left picture on Malki's post shows the power/audio cable with the Garmin motorcycle cradle. You can buy that from BMR, along with a flat bracket to attach the cradle to the shelf. That's what I did with mine.

I have seen several bikes with the Touratech mount on the BMR shelf. BMR will sell you a horizontal bar adaptor to connect the mount to the shelf. If you go that route, you will need to buy the Garmin cable separately (right hand picture on Malki's post). BMR did not have the cable on their website last time I looked, but you can get it from any one of several Garmin resellers such as www.getfeetwet.com. Touratech makes a locking mount that is really nice and would give a little extra security.

I have read some posts saying that the LT windshield cannot be lowered all the way with the Touratech mount on the BMR shelf but that may only apply to certain GPS models (if at all). The folks at BMR may know about that.

Anyway, the Garmin wire can be connected to the map light with spade connector "splitters". No alteration to the bike's electrical system. I watched Lynn Keen do mine, and it was so easy I helped another list member connect a Garmin cable for his 2720. You can shorten the Garmin cable, eliminating the inline fuse since the maplight has its own fused circuit.

I bet if you bring it to CCR you can get some help with the installation. There are several posts on the subject on this site.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in