2610 & condensation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 1:04 am Thread Starter

2610 & condensation

I recently purchased a 2610 and it suffered from condensation on the inside of the screen. I returned it to the dealer and got a replacement.
This new one is doing exactly the same.
I contacted Garmin and they told me it was a problem with the mount not allowing the viewing angle adjustment slider on the back of the 2610 to open. Apparently this 'must' be open to allow air into the 4 tiny holes at the rear, to allow the unit to 'breathe'.
I am using the proper Garmin motorcycle cradle, mounted on a BMW mount on the top of the CD player housing, the Garmin cradle forces the vent closed when mounted. I put this to Garmin and they replied, 'not a very good design is it' I tried a RAM mount specifically for the 2610, it also forces the vent closed when in use.
Garmin's only answer was 'buy a Touratech mount'.
I get a feeling I'm being fobbed off here, I've never heard any mention of problems of this nature caused by the mount.

Anybody had a similar problem, or know of a fix for this, other than returning the unit again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 1:23 am

I have 12K miles on my Ninja...all with the 2610 and the Garmin Motorcycle cradle. No fogging here. And I've ridden through a lot of extreme conditions.
Sounds like a crock of to me!
post #3 of 15 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 1:28 am

Happened to me, too. Twice. But the third 2610 to arrive from Garmin works great.

The condensation on my 1st one grew so bad that I couldn't see the center of the screen in daylight.

These are supposed to be watertight, so the airholes line sounds fishy to me.

I'd suggset you keep getting it swapped out until you got a good one. Don't mess with "airholes" or whatever. Just get a properly functioning unit and be done.

BTW, do not send you CF card to Garmin when you swap the unit out.

HTH

post #4 of 15 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 5:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malki
Garmin's only answer was 'buy a Touratech mount'.
I get a feeling I'm being fobbed off here, I've never heard any mention of problems of this nature caused by the mount.

Anybody had a similar problem, or know of a fix for this, other than returning the unit again.
Tell Garmin to buy you the mount if thats their position on a fix.
I went thru two 2610's before I got one that didnt fog up. Its their problem as long as its under warranty.

Mike
IBA #433

Last edited by mjac; Jun 16th, 2006 at 5:44 am. Reason: Spelling
post #5 of 15 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 9:56 am

My Nav II has done this in the past but to me it's been only a minor annoyance and it has cleared up quickly when it occured. As of late I have not experienced the fogging and I just returned from a 3,600 mile trip through all kinds of weather. Crystal clear screen the whole way.

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
'05 K1200LT - '02 Suzuki V-Strom
post #6 of 15 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 1:45 pm Thread Starter

This condensation is more than a minor annoyance, it is 2.5 inches across and 1 inch high, blocking most of the map. It never cleared in over 300 miles on each trip. Only clears when I turn it off..
That is 2 x 2610's I've installed and not seen the map for any trips.
Dealer has offered me a full refund regardless of what Garmin say, or an upgrade to the new 2820 when its available later this month in the UK. Having now been disallusioned with the unreliability of the 2610 I might just go for the latter option. First unit had touch screen and power cable problems as well. Wishing now I had never sold my trusty SPIII.

Guy at RAM UK confirms that Garmin are talking thru a hole in their head about the vents although he says it is not the first time he has heard this explanation for the condensation.
post #7 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 5:45 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Fogging and Time Check.

Having had a similar but smaller (10mm x 25mm, centre of screen) fogging in the Nav II on "Jenna, examined the mount system and vent holes in the GPS. The 4 very tiny holes (0.3mm) are covered by the BMW mount but I don't think it would be an air tight seal. I carefully drilled a 1mm hole in the center of the plastic moulded button inside the hinged mount attatched to the GPS (after unscrewing the retaining screw and letting the mount extend) This "extra" hole vents exactly in the centre of the 4 existing ones. Also removed the CF card and let Rena's hair dryer (lowest heat setting) blow over the open slot and the rear of the GPS for about 30 mins. The fogging has completely cleared now, but it may just have been the humidity on the day? I'll see what happens on our next outing (tomorrow).
Question about the GPS time and the onboard clock. Are they linked in any way or is the onboard clock just damm accurate. The time changes on both to the second! Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nav II Fogging.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	4460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back of Mount.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	4461   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Existing Vent Holes.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	4462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Center of Plastic Molding.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	4463  
post #8 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 6:54 am

Same story with the 2730....

Hi Hilton,

Just pulled the BMW GPS system off my 2003 LT and replaced it with a Garmin 2730. Guess what....same problem as you.

As there is no card slot in the 2730 the hair dryer idea is out of the question....

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway…..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....
post #9 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 7:02 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile

Hi Daza, just sent you a mail and then read this list again. DOHH.
The warm air may still work if that unit vents to the surrounding air as per the 2610. Guess you just have to reduce the humidity inside the GPS to a lower level. Seems odd though in units that are supposed to be water resistant, (not water proof as per the hand held portable ones) that any vent holes are there. May be worth a go. Cheers
post #10 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 9:07 am Thread Starter

@ Hilton
I was toying with the idea of drilling a hole same as yourself, but I'll hang off until I see if your cure works
As far as I was aware, the SPIII, 2610, 2720, and 2820 are all water submersible to 1 metre for 30 minutes, not that I would try it.
post #11 of 15 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 4:49 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Clear Screen

Hi Malki, just back from a day trip after modifying GPS. Clear screen all day, but as I'm sure the weather will also be a factor, can't give you a definitive answer yet. I do know that under similar conditions as today, I have experienced the fogging issue before. $64 question, is the extra vent hole working or is this due to the hair drier treatment. I'll report further.
Also the GPS clock and the onboard clock are NOT interlinked. Simple to check that one.
Question about removing CF card. (removed for about 30 mins to assist drying) Down loaded our planned ride today before departure. PC couldn't find the Nav II. (has been fine until this time) requested to re-load initial Garmin software CD. Placed in CD drive and about 5 seconds latter all was well again.Don't think it actually had time to download anything, maybe just checking unit/map set/serial numbers etc. I have heard that Garmin are very protective of their software/hardware. Any experience with this issue?
Cheers
post #12 of 15 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 7:32 am

Add the 2720 to the list

For what it is worth my 2720 is doing the same thing. So far it is a minor fogging and clears after about 30 minutes of riding. So as many other I am watching this thrread with interest.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #13 of 15 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 9:45 am

Home Remedy v. Factory Remedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwilshire
I'd suggset you keep getting it swapped out until you got a good one. Don't mess with "airholes" or whatever. Just get a properly functioning unit and be done.
I still agree with this guy. He sounds smart.

And I'm pretty sure that drilling holes in your GPS will void the warranty.
post #14 of 15 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 9:53 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the updates - I held off drilling the hole, thinking, why should I modify it and as you say it will invalidate the warranty. I'm just digging out the hair dryer to try that on its own as a hopeful cure. Failing that, it will be going back. Still not sure whether to opt for the same or hang off for the 2820 due later. A mate suggested taping the bean bag mount onto the tank, and trying it with the vent open, but i'm not so keen on losing it at speed.

I might try that if the hair dryer fails, but at the mo it chucking it down with rain here.
post #15 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:11 am

My 2610 was doing the fog thing to so I called them and they gave me a return number and said they would cover it under warranty even though it's been out for a year. I just got back from a 5 day trip and it was fine, no fog but I think I will still send it in.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in