BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   GPS (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/gps/)
-   -   What to do? (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/gps/10227-what-do.html)

REWDOC Jun 15th, 2006 9:56 pm

What to do?

I have a BMW Navigator (Street Pilot III, 4 years old) which has been working just fine, but on my recent 5300 mile trip to Utah, it began doing strange things. Worked fine when working, however. Something is going on the power relay between the bike's 12V system and the battery system in the GPS. While on aux power it will occasionally turn off and will not turn back on without disconnecting the power supply. Then sometimes it will not turn on using the batteries, unless I hook it to the aux power supply. Then it will turn on and can be disconnected and run on batteries (brand new, so batteries are not the problem). Garmin website says there is a $225.00 flat repair fee. Anyone have any idea what's going on? It's slow but when working is just fine. It would be expensive to replace it with a 2600 series, plus would required complete rewiring on the bike's harness. What should I do?

messenger13 Jun 15th, 2006 11:52 pm

I'd keep using it until you've decided enough is enough. Then you need to get one of them there $400 2610s off of eBay. There's a thread on how to make a simple conversion cable so you wouldn't have to rewire the bike.

$400 for a 2610 is better than putting $225 into a dinosaur. My $0.02

McAllister Jun 16th, 2006 6:52 am

I was having power troubles something like that with mine and sent it back to Garmin. The repair sheet Garmin sent back said they reseated a power supply in the unit. If you are game and since it's out of warrenty you could open the unit and check to see if there is a card or component loose. We've done simular "repairs" on avionics boxes and computers; open them up, reseat the cards, close them up , and they work OK.

REWDOC Jun 16th, 2006 1:34 pm

Thanks,

I don't know if I'm that brave. I'd hate to screw it up for good. Just guess I'll follow Joe's advice. When I can't stand it anymore or it dies for good, I'll get a newer model.

jackd Jun 18th, 2006 8:05 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by REWDOC
Something is going on the power relay between the bike's 12V system and the battery system in the GPS.

Make sure that not only the batteries are good but that all the contacts are making good on the batteries. Like good battery tension and no discoloration on the contacts on the battery and the plug from the bike. I would ride for a while looking at the page that shows the power source and see if it goes from external to battery as you ride.

Sounds like you have a flaky power connection and I would not invest any money in an SP III vintage GPS. Probably the best thing you have with that unit is a software license for another GPS. You get to run the software on two GPS units by default.

If it becomes unreliable then you can buy another unit and if that ones comes without software you are slightly ahead. If you have additional memory chips you can upgrade to a 276C or 376C and still be able to use them... That is my plan.. One final act of desperation would be to take it apart and reseat everything a couple of times after all you can't make it worse.. Broke all the time is better that broke when you need it.. ;).

REWDOC Jun 19th, 2006 3:53 pm

Wiring harness

Does the 376C use the same wiring harness as the BMW Navigator (Street Pilot III)?

REWDOC Jun 19th, 2006 3:59 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by messenger13
I'd keep using it until you've decided enough is enough. Then you need to get one of them there $400 2610s off of eBay. There's a thread on how to make a simple conversion cable so you wouldn't have to rewire the bike.

$400 for a 2610 is better than putting $225 into a dinosaur. My $0.02

Joe, I can't find the conversion thread. Would lead me to it?

Thanks,

REWDOC Jun 19th, 2006 10:03 pm

Too easy, you will not believe this.

Today, I decided to remove my BMW Nav from the bike to load the SE data on my chip after my return from Utah. The GPS would not turn with battery power (batteries are new and last time it was on had solid bars all the way). While taking it into the house, I shook it and low and behold there was are rattle from inside. Hum, it's not supposed to rattle. :eek: Since it would not come on, I thought what the hell, all I can do is break it for good. I took it apart and a small chrome screw fell out. I started looking around and notice the are 2 major circuit boards. One in the unit and one on the back. All wire appeared secure and I notice that the board on the back had 2 mounting screws, one of which was missing. I screwed the screw back where it was supposed to be and put the unit back together. Pushed the on button and it turned on! :) I'm going to use it in my car for the next week to see if it shuts down again. That was just way too easy! ;)

McAllister Jun 20th, 2006 7:58 am

Yes, that is what was wrong with mine. I had the same rattle from the screw being "adrift" in the unit. Garmin said they reseated the card on mine. Plus they loaded up the current software and it looked like they cleaned the connector pins and screen. So far it's working like a new one.

Steve_R Jun 20th, 2006 11:05 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by REWDOC
That was just way too easy!

There you go thinking like a doctor again. ;) :p

REWDOC Jun 20th, 2006 4:35 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R
There you go thinking like a doctor again. ;) :p

Hey, I respect that statement. :) It was waaaaaaay to easy though. Thought I'd be out another $1100.00 bucks. I just don't get many breaks like that. ;)

ljjohns Jun 11th, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: What to do?

Unbelievable!! The BMW Garmin guy was useless, able only to give me the cost for opening it up.
But then I found this series of posts, opened it up, shook out the screw (and spent twenty minutes looking for it on the floor through bifocals), got it back in place and the case buttoned up--and it works!

If you folks are still around, thanks!

REWDOC Jun 11th, 2008 5:18 pm

Re: What to do?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljjohns
Unbelievable!! The BMW Garmin guy was useless, able only to give me the cost for opening it up.
But then I found this series of posts, opened it up, shook out the screw (and spent twenty minutes looking for it on the floor through bifocals), got it back in place and the case buttoned up--and it works!

If you folks are still around, thanks!

Yup, it's just way too easy to fix when that happens. In fact, I'll fix um all for 1/2 of what Garmin charges. :rolleyes: :histerica :rotf: