Garmin 590LM - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 30th, 2014, 6:09 pm Thread Starter

Garmin 590LM

Anyone using the Garmin 590LM? Looking for any hands on experience with it. Thanks

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jun 28th, 2014, 7:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Garmin 590LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasnRacin View Post
Anyone using the Garmin 590LM? Looking for any hands on experience with it. Thanks
I'm curious to hear any 590 experience as well. I need a Nav 3 replacement and it appears that neither newer Nav interfaces to my VOICE II. So no reason to pay the BMW tax for a Nav. And the 590 gives me TPS capability.

The Garmin web site is very sparse regarding technical information, with no description of the 590 cable other than the hard wired power connections. I think it has wired audio output so I may attempt to interface to the Intercom since I have an extra interface cable with the 3 pin connector. I am pretty sure I have the power and ground pins identified and figure the 3rd has to be the audio.

Should be able to make this work as I suspect Garmin has used standard audio output drivers, but who knows what strange things BMW may have requested for the Nav line.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #3 of 4 Old Jul 9th, 2014, 9:45 am

I'm also interested in the 590LM. I had my 665 stolen and am looking for a replacement. I liked the 665 except for the display in sunlight. Is the 590 much better?

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 9th, 2014, 11:08 am

I'd suggest you guys head over to Zumoforums and poke around.

The response to the 590 has been very positive. As always with a new product, some people want a specific behavior they're used to on their old unit, and it's not there; so they are either unhappy or recognize the need to adapt as the case may be.

But the vast majority are very pleased.

I have the Nav V, which is a different piece of hardware but has very similar software. I am very happy with it. There are some software differences here and there between the Nav V and the 590.

The viewability/readability is clearly improved from most of the older Garmins...in my case the Nav IV/660. As to whether it's "a little better", "much better", or "still sucks"...you'll get different opinions on that. I suspect the evaluation there depends on mounting location and angle, preferred dashboard, eyesight, level of expectation, and on and on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in