Garmin Base Camp - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old May 29th, 2014, 11:24 pm Thread Starter

Garmin Base Camp

OK, I have been trying to learn this program to no avail, I have spent hours trying to make sense of it and I just don't understand why its not more user friendly, you have to be a computer geek to make a simple route, I even went to a couple of websites purportedly showing how to use it, hours later I'm convinced it ain't gonna happen, I just came to the conclusion its not worth the aggravation and time required to learn it, why can't they simply show me a map, then I will draw on said map where it is I want to go, then transfer that over to my Nav V, nope, that is asking to much. I wish I had those hours back, thank you Garmin for selling me a GPS that can not be simply programmed to go where it is I want to fucking go. You have the technology to produce all kinds of GPS devices but not able to produce a website showing how to simply program the device to go where the owner wants to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old May 30th, 2014, 12:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Re: Garmin Base Camp

Hi -

Try this:

Click on the New Route tool - it should be in your toolbar and looks like three green boxes connected together with lines. If it's not in your tool bar you can select it from the Tools Menu or simply type "r".

A box will pop up. Close it, it's useless as boobs on a boar.

The cursor will turn into an icon that looks like a pencil. Find a spot where you'd like to start the route, position the pencil over it and click once; try the intersection of Jamboree and McArthur.

Now move the cursor to someplace you want to go. Let's say the park at Imperial Beach Blvd and 9th down in Imperial Beach. Click once.

There, you've made a route that you can send to your Nav.

But wait, that's a boring ride down the freeway. Let's add some fun.

Highlight the route if it is not already highlighted (by clicking on the Select tool in the toolbar or choosing it from the tool menu or simply type 's') by double clicking on the route.

Now select the Insert tool from the tool menu (or simply type 'i'). A heavy gray bar will connect the start and end points, and the cursor will look like a pencil with a plus sign.

Scroll up to about Carlsbad and click on the route. A fine line will appear, connecting the start point, the cursor, and the end point. Move the cursor over to Julian and click on Julian.

The route will change to include Julian and will take you on 78 and 79.

You can use the Insert tool as many times as you want to shape the route.

BaseCamp is a really powerful program and once you click with it you'll be amazed at what you can do with it, how many different ways there are to do things, and your skills will build quickly.

I hated the sumbitch when I first started using it but one day the lights came on and I really enjoy using it.

If you need help, holler.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650
post #3 of 16 Old May 30th, 2014, 4:22 am

Good instructions there - I get on well with Basecamp now, but it took a while to grow on me

You can also look on the ZumoForums, they have a section dedicated to Basecamp.

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?board=44.0

Jon
2017 R1200RT

So many places, so many roads, so few days off work.

post #4 of 16 Old May 30th, 2014, 5:16 am

Also you can do a search for post's by Jim Puckett. He and a fellow rider have some utube tutorials.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #5 of 16 Old May 30th, 2014, 6:12 am

Can you use Basecamp on older StreetPilot 2820 models? The existing software is very cumbersome. I use the Mapquest and download-very easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200RT
post #6 of 16 Old May 30th, 2014, 10:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

When all is said and done, the output from BasCamp is a .gpx file that you send to the unit.

BC will work with any unit that can accept an upload of a .gpx file.

The biggest impediment to this will be whether or not the unit has routable maps in it and whether or not the mapset on the computer and the mapset on the unit are the same. If they are different the routing may not match between the computer and the unit. It not really a serious issue, but it does happen.

That can be overcome by plugging the unit into the computer so that BaseCamp uses the mapset that is on the unit.

MapQuest upload is limited to only the start and end points; it's not possible to upload intermediate via and shaping points.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650
post #7 of 16 Old May 30th, 2014, 12:48 pm

Come on Google, buy out Garmin so we can have sensible mapping software!

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." - Declaration of Independence
<center>
post #8 of 16 Old May 30th, 2014, 5:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by numnuts View Post
OK, I have been trying to learn this program to no avail, I have spent hours trying to make sense of it and I just don't understand why its not more user friendly, you have to be a computer geek to make a simple route, I even went to a couple of websites purportedly showing how to use it, hours later I'm convinced it ain't gonna happen, I just came to the conclusion its not worth the aggravation and time required to learn it, why can't they simply show me a map, then I will draw on said map where it is I want to go, then transfer that over to my Nav V, nope, that is asking to much. I wish I had those hours back, thank you Garmin for selling me a GPS that can not be simply programmed to go where it is I want to fucking go. You have the technology to produce all kinds of GPS devices but not able to produce a website showing how to simply program the device to go where the owner wants to go.
I hear you. I've been using and developing software and user interfaces since 1978 and BaseCamp is on my Top Ten List of hated interfaces. I quit trying to learn it; I'm sure if I spent more time with it I'd "get it", but really - it should be a LOT more intuitive. To me it looks like a first-generation Windows product that never got better, like every other freaking application. Ever.

Maybe I'll give it a go with the instructions listed above. I'm due for another try.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #9 of 16 Old May 30th, 2014, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you and especially 12R12RT, I actually made some progress today with BC, although I find my Mac BC version 4.2.4 does not have a "insert" tool that I can find anywhere, just a hand/magnifying glass/arrow/ruler, these are marked "map tools", then another section to the right consisting of a flag/creation tool/foot tracks, these are labeled "creation tools". Why is my BC different? I watched some you tube lessons by a slow talking southern gent but his map looked all different, maybe he was on a PC? he didn't say, anyway the "insert tool I can't seem to find.
So here are my questions:
1.) where is the insert tool found on a Mac?
2.) how do I erase sections I decide later I don't want? I can't seem to figure that out either.
Thanks again everybody!
post #10 of 16 Old May 30th, 2014, 8:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Aw, geez, yeah. The Mac version is a bit different than the PC version. I think they are finally getting closer; you might want to look at updating to the latest version. The latest version is 4.3.1.

There should be an insert tool somewhere, though the functionality may be different as well as the name. Hopefully someone with Mac expertise will come along and advise. BTW, is there no Insert tool in the Tools menu? Also, did you try typing "i" while the cursor is positioned over the map?

There is another way. That way is to create a waypoint to use to shape the route and then insert it into the route. It's actually a decent way to go if you have a destination.

Go look at downtown Julian and find 'Julian Cafe and Bakery'. If you click on it with the select tool a wee balloon will pop up that has some icons. One is a flag; clicking on that will create a waypoint that will be added to the list you're building your route in.

You can add this waypoint to your route by double clicking on the route to bring up the route pane. By clicking on the green cross you can insert a waypoint and then use the arrow buttons to move it up to where it belongs (or use the 'Optimize' button if your version has it) and hit recalculate. The route should show you going from Irvine to Julian (where you will enjoy a delectable lunch at the cafe) and then on to Imperial Beach.

There are other, more elegant, ways to achieve the same results but this one works well as it employs the "I got a bigger hammer" approach.

Once you've created a route with shaping points or way points and you wish to remove a point, there are two tools you can use. There is an Eraser tool and a Move Point tool. You should find them in the Tools menu or be able to bring them up by typing "e" or "m" when the cursor is over the map. I keep saying "when the cursor is over the map" simply because if it is anywhere else you can't see it change until you move the cursor over the map.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650

Last edited by 12R12RT; May 30th, 2014 at 9:00 pm.
post #11 of 16 Old May 30th, 2014, 10:31 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Tom, I will start working on it some more tonight. Richard
post #12 of 16 Old May 31st, 2014, 6:50 pm

Unfortunately all the aids and videos available are using windows version of BaseCamp. The Mac Version is similar but different and the tools and menus do not transfer well in the instructional material.

I would suggest that you install Basecamp from the APP store so you will get timely seamless updates when they are available. You will be a little behind from the Garmin download page but it is easier.. IMHO.. Yes, 4.3.1 is available and better than what you are using.

However, once you get over the initial learning hump you will find that it gets much easier.

If you want to freelance a route select the 'center' icon in the creation tool list.

Then move the mouse to where you want to start from... Say your home address and select that 'place'...

Then move your map to a next place and select that place with the mouse. At first try something maybe 50 miles away on a route that you are familiar with.

Now hit ESC

Go to the top bar and select the 'arrow' again and you are started...

You should have a route generated that covers roads that match your profile under preferences 'routing'.

Now you can move the colored route on your map using drag and drop... Select a portion on the route with the mouse and drag the route to the road you want to use and the program will ask you if you want to move... select move and the route will move. I suggest that you do not change the default 'always ask.. before moving' until you are more 'experienced... then you won't need to edit 'undo' so much...

Once you are a little experienced with simple routes you can make 3, 4 or 5,000 mile routes using the same technique. Just remember to zoom in on your route to view where you placed the drag/drop shaping points. You may be off road a few hundred feet and it will route you there. If you pick the southbound lane and you are northbound it will loop you back through the next exit, through the southbound lane then back northbound....

That should get you started..

Using the waypoint tool create a waypoint somewhere near your route..

Then open the route you created and select the waypoint from the list in the left margin and drag it to the route list between your two points.

In the extreme left lower of the route select 'recalculate'.. and your new route is available..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #13 of 16 Old Jun 1st, 2014, 8:48 am Thread Starter

Jackd,
Thank you very much for that info, yes my view of the BC tools bar is totally different then all of the BC videos and articles I have been reading, there's no "insert" tool and no "eraser" tool I see on the videos, to make matters more frustrating, I noticed that none of them even mention the small fact that they are using a PC version of BC, I thought that that must be the difference but could not confirm it till now, again thanks, I will do as you suggest. num
post #14 of 16 Old Jun 1st, 2014, 4:51 pm

Glad you think it will help.

Try it and if you need some additional help let me know and I will attempt to assist by creating something that you are trying to do on my Mac and sending it to you so you can import it and see what it looks like. I am not an expert by any means but I had done quite a few long trips and I am getting more familiar.

The only really good thing about the windows based basecamp tutorials is that you know it's possible, you just have to figure out how.

I use a trackpad instead of the mouse so maneuvering is even more complex because everything is hand gestures.

Jack

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #15 of 16 Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 6:42 am

Huh, so the version on my Mac is why all those tutorial instructions haven't seemed to match what I've been seeing... I've managed to learn enough thru trial-and-error but still don't feel like I know it all that well. I'll just keep using BC and adding more bits to my understanding, but I don't think I'll ever feel like I know it inside and out.
post #16 of 16 Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 8:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopaca View Post
Come on Google, buy out Garmin so we can have sensible mapping software!
+1

Motor On ,/'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in