New Member - First Ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 11:22 am Thread Starter

Smile New Member - First Ride

As a new member I would like to say a big hello to all!
I bought my 2001 K1200LT SE (20,600 miles on it - Colour Mauve/Silver) in Cheshire UK last Wednesday (21st Aug 2013) and proceeded to ride it home. Nothing special in that I suppose, except that I live about 2,700 km away in Almerža, Spain!
22.45 Thursday night ferry to Calais. Friday taking in the sights of western France and Saturday through Spain to home for 16.45 - Slept for 2 days after!. The bike behaved very very well with the exception of a sticking rear brake for the last 500km - is this a common problem or just one of those things? I also found the front seat a bit uncomfortable after a while and by the time I got home it was sheer hell! Any recommendations on improving this? Other than that, the bike behaved superbly. I have never had cruise control on a bike before but for that journey I give it a big thumbs up!!
I have never owned a Beemer before. 3 big Triumph's, 3 Harley's, 1 Honda, 2 Yamaha and 1 Kawasaki are on my list of previous. (I still have a HD V-Rod Muscle.) The original owner (I'm the 3rd) put a tow bar and electrics on it. I will be taking it off because i) I don't want it and ii) it is illegal to tow with a bike here. Any offers are welcome.
Any general tips and things to watch for on the bike will be welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 12:20 pm

Re: New Member - First Ride

Welcome to the forum/community.
Sounds like you had a wonderful initial ride for the LT. The sticking brake isn't normal. I imagine your brake caliper and/or fasteners need some attention. If you don't like the front seat, then try the back seat! just kidding. I find the stock seat on my '99 to be tolerable, but each rider has their own level of tolerance. If you haven't found out already, there's several aftermarket seat makers mentioned on this site, but most, if not all, are located here in the USA. There's bound to be someone there in Spain or UK, depending on what you're willing to spend. Some riders like an add-on try product called the Airhawk. Maybe you've heard of them.

BTW, that's interesting to hear about m/c not allowed to pull trailers. Is that just in Spain, or a lot of Europe? Seems like I read of one couple's adventures through Europe, and I'm pretty sure they were pulling a little pop-up camper behind them.

Oh, regarding what to be aware of, since you have an '02 w/ only 20K (miles?), you'll want to read up on the final drives. Also, read up on the weep-hole modification for the slave clutch cylinder? This is preventative medicine. Others talk about replacing the brake lines. And there's another pro-active type modification you might look into, which is for the top case trunk latch assembly. It seems to be a weak design, and everyone swears it's not an "if" but a "when" it breaks. Lots of ideas for farkles/upgrades. One will be regarding the lighting. the LT has crappy headlights, at least before the '05 model.

You're at the right place for all these mods and repairs. This forum will fill you in on more than any other source, including the manufacturer. Just have to use the search feature, which is probably the weakest feature of this site.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bikerj; Aug 27th, 2013 at 12:29 pm.
post #3 of 3 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 4:28 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: New Member - First Ride

Thanks for the welcome and the heads up. So far as I know the 'no tow bar' is just a Spanish thing. For example, when I was travelling down through France I noted a bike with sidecar AND trailer behind. I'll now proceed to checkout and read up on the pointers you gave me. Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in