Visiting Munich in June - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 29th, 2013, 10:38 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Visiting Munich in June

Heading to Munich first week of June with my 13 year old son, Considering Renting a Bike while I'm there to travel around the area. Anybody have any suggestions for rental companies you've worked with? I've been looking at AdMo-tours they have a location in Munich and looks like they may have a R1200CL for a reasonable cost, but I would appreciate any input that can be offered.

My second question is what will the roads be like the first week of June, will I be limited to where I can ride in the Alps? Thanks for any feed back!

-Preston
‘02 K1200 LTC | ’94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 1:57 pm

Re: Visiting Munich in June

Preston, I can't help w/ your particular questions, but if you haven't been, you gotta go see Neuschanstein. It's the most photographed castle in the world, and my favorite. It happens to be the one Walt Disney modeled their castle after. It's about two hours Southwest of Munich, not far from Austrian border. You should be able to find some wonderful mountain roads to ride after you cross into Austria.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #3 of 11 Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 3:02 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Jeff, that stop is already on the list, one of the few things we know we will do for sure..

-Preston

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 4:04 am

Fussen is nearby. It's a pretty little town and has some good street cafes. You're also close to Oberammergau, where the passion play is staged, and Garmisch-Partenkirchen, where BMW hold their Biker Days meetings each July. At Garmisch you can take either a funicular railway or a conventional railway - to the Zugspitze - to explore the Alpine meadows, which is well worth doing. I'm not a mountain person but it really is spectacular up there.

Keith

UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #5 of 11 Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 5:21 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Keith I appreciate the suggestions.

-Preston

post #6 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2013, 9:01 am

I have used the rental desk at the main BMW Motorrad showroom at Frankfurter Ring in downtown Munich. They have the benefit of all new bikes each season, easy accessibility, and reasonably long hours. The rental rates are posted on the website, link is below.

http://www.bike-travel-service.de/
post #7 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2013, 4:03 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerStar
I have used the rental desk at the main BMW Motorrad showroom at Frankfurter Ring in downtown Munich. They have the benefit of all new bikes each season, easy accessibility, and reasonably long hours. The rental rates are posted on the website, link is below.

http://www.bike-travel-service.de/
Thanks I had not found that

-Preston

post #8 of 11 Old Apr 6th, 2013, 5:53 am

Preston,
I found this website: http://qrental.com/

They're a third party whereas they show you the different bikes available by different rental agencies w/in a selected radius. I tried Munich w/ 25km radius, and they seem to have a decent selection of BMWs. You don't need to enter a zip code, unless you know one. The down side is most seem to limit you to 300 km per day included with the rental. I haven't found any info re: how much extra km will cost. Looks like the rental can be made thru the website.

I plan to be in Frankfurt towards the end of this coming week. If I get there early enough, I'm going to try renting something and cruise over to France, then the American Cemetery in Luxembourg, and then over to Bastogne. According to google maps, a straight thru round trip could be done in less than eight hours, not including any stops. I just need to figure out if my regular m/c license will do, or if I'll need an international driver's license. I guess I need to check on their policy about taking the bike out of the country. These last two things could be a big wrench in my machinery.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #9 of 11 Old Apr 6th, 2013, 10:50 pm

It is still early in the year but I bet if the weather is good the passes will be open. 300km per day is fine in Europe, especially the Alps. Everything is much closer than in the USA. Besides so much to see. If you plan on riding the Alps a lighter bike is best. I rented a 700 GS and it was perfect one up. A gps is a must for worry free travel. I bought the Europe maps for my gps and brought it with me. You will love i
t over there.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #10 of 11 Old Apr 7th, 2013, 4:14 pm

Can't help with the bike but here it the site I use to see what pass is open and when
http://alpenrouten.de/alpenpaesse-ve...ersperren.html
Gives some great info on the route, map reference and the road conditions also links to hotels, sadly it is in German so you may wanna run it through the translator.

Without men civilization would last untill the oil needs changing.
post #11 of 11 Old Apr 9th, 2013, 9:14 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Ray and Brian, Appreciate the additional info. Jeff. from what I've found international drivers licence is not required but makes life easier especially when riding between countries because it has everything translated. Let us know if you end up getting a ride in while your there..

-Preston

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in