New Michelin Pilot Activ tires...reviews? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:03 am Thread Starter

Question New Michelin Pilot Activ tires...reviews?

Anybody that are using the new Michelin Pilot Activ tires for the K1200LT? According to my dealer they are the replacement for the "old" Macadam 50 tires.

I am about to put on new tires next week and would appreciate reviews, if available.

Best regards,

Stefan

Uddevalla, Sweden

2001 K1200LT
2001 Bushtec Quantum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
Anybody that are using the new Michelin Pilot Activ tires for the K1200LT? According to my dealer they are the replacement for the "old" Macadam 50 tires.

I am about to put on new tires next week and would appreciate reviews, if available.

Best regards,

Stefan
Stefan - I looked at the Michelin website and they don't list the BMW K1200LT under any tire model. At least, under the USA section. I didn't look at worldwide pages, tho. You might check those pages. HTH.
post #3 of 15 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:13 am

Quote:

Best regards,

Stefan
Nice to know Michelin has something else to try. Their previous offerings for the LT have not been very good, or at least not well reviewed by the very few LT riders who have ever tried them.

Well Stefan, everyone is waiting for your report! You get to be first.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 15 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:28 am

Too bad, no sizes needed

Quote:

Best regards,

Stefan
I just checked 5 websites, including the Michelin one, and only the front rated for the LT is available: 120/70-17 58V.

No rear!

They are not radials either, Michelin says they are "Cross ply", which I take to mean "bias".

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #5 of 15 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I just checked 5 websites, including the Michelin one, and only the front rated for the LT is available: 120/70-17 58V.

No rear!

They are not radials either, Michelin says they are "Cross ply", which I take to mean "bias".
David - I checked their Sweden pages and they still list the Macadam 50s for the front and rear tires of the LT. They do have a Michelin pair for the Goldwing 1500s, butt I guess those were rated for a lesser weight, and different tire construction than required on LTs.
post #6 of 15 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

For some reason "their" website does not have the information the dealer gave me. And, it is not a radial, neither was the Macadam 50.

I did send an e-mail to Michelin tonight, just to have them confirm to me directly that this tire is a capable replacement and able to "hold the Weight".

There should be a rear tire available, but I am only replacing the front for now anyway, so it is fine with me. According to Michelin, the major difference in this new tire vs. the Macadam is the contained grip as the tire wears.

The price for the front tire out the door, mounted and balance, here in Sweden is $150.00.

It'll be on next Wednesday and if the darn snow and ice could hurry up and melt, I'll post a report if nobody beats me to it. I really miss San Diego, Dave!! We had -9°C this morning.

Stefan

Uddevalla, Sweden

2001 K1200LT
2001 Bushtec Quantum
post #7 of 15 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:14 pm

My personal experience with Michelin Macadam 50's and 90's is that they are extremely hard wearing but suffer very poor wet weather performance.
They ruined a 6 country tour I was doing of Europe due to their poor grip in less than ideal conditions - scary in fact - I binned them for BT 020's as soon as I got home. Not on my LT but a CBR1000F I had at the time.

Malki

02 K1200LT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mothership
12 Countries and counting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BKS1 - RWP
post #8 of 15 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 8:03 am

Smile Pilot Tire

I just put one on the front of my Trike as they come well reccomended for that with long wear potential and a bias is the best for a trike. I loved the Avons prior to Triking.

John L Bass
2002 K1200lt Triked by Hannigan 2005 now LT stands for Luxury Trike
Carpe Diem <><
"I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God then sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"
Stop Global Whining
post #9 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 7:08 pm Thread Starter

Just a short update on the Michelin front tire I put on earlier this year; so far.....it is the best tire I have mounted on the front.

Previous tires are BT020 and ME880's.

Really smooth, good grip and seems to wear fine.

Stefan

Uddevalla, Sweden

2001 K1200LT
2001 Bushtec Quantum
post #10 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 7:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
David - I checked their Sweden pages and they still list the Macadam 50s for the front and rear tires of the LT. They do have a Michelin pair for the Goldwing 1500s, butt I guess those were rated for a lesser weight, and different tire construction than required on LTs.
Yeah Dick, I knew about the Macadams, but the question was specifically about the Pilot Activs. We have never heard anything good about the Macadams.

I think the Pilot Sport front size is also load rated for the LT. That is what we run into all the time on tires from different manufacturers. Fronts that will fit and be correctly load rated, but no matching rears.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #11 of 15 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 9:23 am

Re: New Michelin Pilot Activ tires...reviews?

Michelins? I contacted michelin about using a tire for my LT, and the response I recieved was that Michelin didn't have a tire that could support the weight of the LT!
However, I have used the pilot on my 07" GT and they worked great!
Good Luck with those Michelins!
post #12 of 15 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 10:16 am

Normally I read every tire thread but try not to post since many folks on here get burned out with the subject.......Butttt

After over 192000 miles I am still in search of the perfect combination of tires.

My history is this:

First LT was a 2000 LTC
Current LT is a 2003 LTE

Both of my LT's were delivered with Bridgestone Exedras. The fronts cupped quickly and the rears had a reputation of coming apart. About 5k miles on a front and 8k on the rear.

I switched to ME 880's and used them for many many miles. They are durable and I got 12k from the rears and 15k on the fronts. I absolutely could no longer stand the howling after about 4000 miles and went looking for radials for better traction and handling. Not only that, Metzeler prices skyrocketed.

Since BS was out of the question at the time I elected to try Avon storms. I knew they would not get the mileage that the ME880's did. I tried 6 sets of these and every front cupped to the point of bar shake after about 4000 miles. I did and do absolutely love the rear Avon and get 8000 miles from them. I continue to use them on the rear.

Since then I have tried the following front radials....all weight rated for the LT with these results.

Me880 radial- Lasted as long as the rear Avon but had an odd profile that didnt match and was very noisy.

BT-021- Handled well all the way to 5 k miles but was worn to the cord on the left side.

Michelin Pilot Road 2- So far...this may be the answer, but I only have about 4k miles on it...very sticky...handles great...and quiet.

All I want is a set of tires that will go 8 k miles and wear out near the same time that do not cost an arm and a leg and handle well with little noise.

Hopefully some of this information will help others in their decisions. We do need to remember that tire mileage depends a lot on riding style and your environment.

Ron

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #13 of 15 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 10:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
....snip....

Michelin Pilot Road 2- So far...this may be the answer, but I only have about 4k miles on it...very sticky...handles great...and quiet.

All I want is a set of tires that will go 8 k miles and wear out near the same time that do not cost an arm and a leg and handle well with little noise.

Hopefully some of this information will help others in their decisions. We do need to remember that tire mileage depends a lot on riding style and your environment.

Ron
Ron, when Stefan started this thread back in '06, he listed the Michelin as Pilot Activ --- would that have been the same as what is now called the Pilot Road 2, or is PR2 a next generation?

I've got two sets of ME880s to use up before I need to re-shoe, and I just may try your suggestion. Course, the way I have(n't) been riding lately, it might be awhile!!! You'll have more info by then!!!
post #14 of 15 Old May 20th, 2013, 9:33 pm

I am a new member but have been riding BMW's for about 25 years. Currently have a 02 K1200LT that sat up for 5 years. Had trouble finding the belted tires that the bike came with, so I bought the Pilot 2 for the front and rear. Only have about 5000 miles on them, but that was put on them in 1 month. I hope they hold up because they handle and ride great. I ran several sets of the Michelin Pilot on my 96 R1150 RS and never had any problems. Thanks, Brad
post #15 of 15 Old May 24th, 2013, 4:21 am

Brad, FWIW, I was just viewing American Motorcycle Tire, thanks to another tire thread, and they have a couple of bias plies, at least for the front; one being METZELER LASERTEC 120/70-17 M/C 58V. They're asking $133 for it. also, AVON ROADRIDER 120/70-17 M/C 58V is a bias ply for only $96. I might give one of these Avons a try.

Dick, these folks do carry the MICHELIN PILOT ACTIV 120/70-17 M/C 58V for $110- it's also a bias ply.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in