Ireland in September - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 7th, 2012, 11:44 pm Thread Starter

Ireland in September

My wife and I are coming to Ireland in September for 4 weeks. Where is a good place to rent a bike? Also want suggestions to a good week route around Ireland. We would also like to stay a week in one place and rent a room. We enjoy history and the country, small towns, old pubs. Any suggestions? Thanks and cheers.

Greg and Melanie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 2:44 am

Garage
Re: Ireland in September

I'm originally from Co Mayo. From your post it appears that the west coast of Ireland would suit best. Follow the coast and see all that you can from Kerry to Donegal. Spend a night in Galway City. Keep in mind that any one county could take a week or more if researched in-depth.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 7 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 4:18 am

I agree, hug the North West, West and South West coasts. Stick to the small (and they are small) coastal routes. Just what you are lookin for, small villages, good friendly people and pubs. My favourite place to stay for a week is always Kilrush in county Clare. Good central location between Kerry and Galway. I know someone there who rents houses (much cheaper than a hotel) at at a very good price.

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 4:24 am

Re: Ireland in September - Bike Hire

http://www.motorental.ie/

Not much of a choice in the Republic I am afraid. This is the only one I know.
If you are stuck and can arrange the insurance I may be able to loan you one of my bikes.

As far as the route is concerned there are a few "Micks" lurking on this site. We can propose a good itinerary nearer the time.
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 11th, 2012, 11:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmoloney
I agree, hug the North West, West and South West coasts. Stick to the small (and they are small) coastal routes. Just what you are lookin for, small villages, good friendly people and pubs. My favourite place to stay for a week is always Kilrush in county Clare. Good central location between Kerry and Galway. I know someone there who rents houses (much cheaper than a hotel) at at a very good price.
I have a R12GS rented from Celtic Riders. If the person you know would rent a house for a week I would be interested in seeing what he has available.
Thanks.

Greg and Melanie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 3:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWWANDRR
I have a R12GS rented from Celtic Riders. If the person you know would rent a house for a week I would be interested in seeing what he has available.
Thanks.

Good, I know Paul from Celtic riders. They are a good outfit. Here is the telephone number for a lady who has houses for rent in Kilrush in county Clare, my favourite part of Ireland. Good base to see the West and South West coasts. I use her several times a year, very friendly and accomadating. Tell her that I , Mark Moloney gave you her number she will look afrer you.
00353879047787, her name is Ann.
post #7 of 7 Old May 22nd, 2012, 9:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmoloney
As an Ulsterman by birth, can I put in a good word for the North, please... Do some riding in the Mourne Mountains, think of doing a round trip of the Ards peninsula down the sea coast and up the Strangford Lough side, and take in the Old Coast Road in Antrim.

Slarti

2008 K1200LTLux

Four wheels good
Two wheels better

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in