UK Treffen 2012 ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Aug 4th, 2011, 8:35 am Thread Starter

UK Treffen 2012 ?

I no some will think it early to be thinking about next year but if we are to get booked in somewhere we have to start thinking now.
Where do we want to go?
Do we still want the same weekend?
Do we want 2 events next year it was talked about last year but never happend.If we have 2 do we need to alter dates earlier and later in year?
Is there anything that we could do to improve the meeting for next year?
If we leave this to run until the end of the month then have a poll on where we want to go and then take it from there.Please post your ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Aug 4th, 2011, 1:05 pm

Re: UK Treffen 2012 ?

I don't think we should go to Saltburn three years in a row, for the main event at least. I've enjoyed the two stays but I'd be in two minds if it was chosen again.

Oorty thought we ought to move it to the south next year to be nearer the Channel ports in the hope of attracting more Continental riders. Some options off the top of my head that aren't too far from Dover or Folkestone:
  1. Kent: Canterbury; Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway; Chatham Historic Dockyard
  2. Sussex: Battle/Hastings; Brighton
  3. Hampshire: Portsmouth; Isle of Wight; HMS Victory; HMS Mary Rose
  4. Dorset: Weymouth; Lyme Regis (Jurassic Coast - fossils everywhere)
  5. Wiltshire: Stonehenge; Salisbury; Bovington Tank Museum; Winchester
All these areas are within a short run of London for those who'd want to visit there. For more ideas try these links:

South East Tourist Board

South West Tourist Board

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #3 of 30 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 9:20 am

I suggest we have two events per year. One main Treffan, location to be decided as well as a Saltburn reunion weekend independent of the Treffan.

post #4 of 30 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 6:11 am Thread Starter

I would also like to put this down to be considered http://www.motorcyclescotland.com/bu...hotel.asp?id=1 its in Moffat Scotland.They cater for the sort of meeting we have and could fit us all in if booked early enough.
I stayed here earlier in the year and the cost is very reasonable.The bikes are all kept in a very large rear garden area which is kept locked at night.
The owners are both bikers with bmw's and will even plan out your routes so that you visit some great places via scenic routes.
post #5 of 30 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 9:55 am

Hi all just had a look at there website and it looks like a good place for a meeting. Would the rain be included lol.

Paul
post #6 of 30 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 3:46 am

Since I am without a bike for this year, I had to give the Meeting a miss.

Keith, I do like your idea to get some people from the mainland over to the Meeting.

Why not celebrate a Meeting on the "Mainland".

From September 12th - September16th, 2012 our Club will celebrate his 1. MTCG tourer Meeting" - what will be a highlight in every year.

We got a 4 star rated hotel. Normal price is 83,- incl. breakfast.
http://www.hotel-alpenschloessl.com/...days-in-tyrol/

Our price is 54,- incl. breakfast buffet, dinner buffet and a lunch pack.

Why not combine the two groups since our club is LT focused anyway.

The hotel is located in the Austrian Alps.

Just an idea?

best regards from Bavaria

Rudy
"Winghunter"
Administrator and Chairman of the MTCG
The European Motorcycle Touring Community
Motorcycle Touring Club Germany

- Forum

Last edited by Winghunter; Aug 8th, 2011 at 3:59 am.
post #7 of 30 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 4:48 am

hi folks
austria is a great place and nice to be there. but a uk treffen? let us search for a nice place in the uk. i d like to see some historic castles or museums. i was impressed by beamish. so if you know a place in the uk that is a must see, tell us.
regds oorty
post #8 of 30 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 8:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oorty
hi folks
austria is a great place and nice to be there. but a uk treffen? let us search for a nice place in the uk. i d like to see some historic castles or museums. i was impressed by beamish. so if you know a place in the uk that is a must see, tell us.
regds oorty
Take a look at this route oorty its from the motorcycles scotland website and its a rideout visiting several castles. http://www.motorcyclescotland.com/sc...ycle-route.asp
post #9 of 30 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 11:19 am

For history and museums you really can't beat the south of England and it would be, of course, very close to the Channel. Take Kent, for example. Dover Castle is one of the oldest in England and there is a Roman lighthouse there, too. They've recently done up the public rooms inside the castle to show it as it would have been in its heyday. There are also underground tunnels.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/d.../dover-castle/

There's the Chatham Historic Dockyard, where there are warships and a submarine you can board and explore.

http://www.thedockyard.co.uk/

Canterbury is the major Archbishopric in the Anglican Church and is a wonderful mediaeval city worth exploring.

http://www.canterbury.co.uk/canterbu...anterbury.aspx

For those of a mechanical turn of mind, there's the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, a narrow-gauge line which runs from New Romney to Dungeness and serves the local community as well as enthusiasts.

http://www.rhdr.org.uk/

And that ignores the seaside towns. You have Richborough, where the Romans landed, and nearby Sandwich.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/d...-amphitheatre/

http://www.open-sandwich.co.uk/

And that ignores places like Margate and Ramsgate.

Go a little further west and you have Sussex, with Hastings and Battle Abbey.

http://www.visit1066country.com/

The Isle of Wight is lovely.

http://www.iwight.com/just_visiting/

There's no denying that Scotland is great but it's a long way for many Brits, never mind the Continentals we want to encourage. I suggest we make it easy for them to come to Britain and, with luck, we'll attract them back again to explore further afield in other years.

Keith

post #10 of 30 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 2:48 pm

hi all!
..................that is huge info, thank you keith. i can not open all links with my wii. but i want to see it all on a computer. and that is exactly what i expect from a uk treffen. nevertheless thank you phil for the scottish option, great place to be (i have been there with a truck and loved it)
so if anyone out there has another idea for a treffen in the uk let us know.
best regds oorty
post #11 of 30 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 3:14 pm Thread Starter

That looks great Keith I have opened some of the links looks ideal.I do think we need someone down that end to organise things if we go that way.
We also need some hotels to look at or b&b 's with prices.
If anyone has stayed in somewhere suitable please post a link.
post #12 of 30 Old Aug 15th, 2011, 4:11 am

Isle of Wight sounds good.
post #13 of 30 Old Sep 14th, 2011, 4:07 am Thread Starter

We dont seem to have had any takers to organise an event down the south of the country yet.I was hopeing that we could start a poll and decide where we would be going next year as time will be running out fast to get things all booked up.
We could all just decide to meet up in a certain area and organise our own hotels as one option.I have looked into Scotland and again here but the Saltburn one would just be more a meeting and a chat than the treffen.I went ahead and booked the same venue as last year because I have had a few people ask if we could do it again here.
post #14 of 30 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 5:07 pm

Hi all...

Just been reading this thread and wondered what you guys might think to this place...

http://tortworth-court-hotel.four-pillars.co.uk/

Dont take any notice of the rates published, my partner stays there most weeks and can obtain a much discounted rate for Dinner, Bed and Breakfast...

A possibilty maybe ??

Panman
post #15 of 30 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 5:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panman-Chips
Hi all...

Just been reading this thread and wondered what you guys might think to this place...

http://tortworth-court-hotel.four-pillars.co.uk/

Dont take any notice of the rates published, my partner stays there most weeks and can obtain a much discounted rate for Dinner, Bed and Breakfast...

A possibilty maybe ??

Panman
looks nice ideal location aswell
post #16 of 30 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 8:43 am

The Cotswolds would be a lovely area to explore on two wheels. I'd like more details of what can be arranged on prices, etc, please.

Keith

post #17 of 30 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 8:51 am

I hawe stayed in the Torthworth Court a few times. I just cant see it as a base for a treffan.
Two other places near there I regularly stay in are the Snooty Fox in Tetbury and the Eqypt Mill in Nailsworth which may suit.

www.snooty-fox.co.uk

www.egyptmill.com
post #18 of 30 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 10:55 am

Is it too posh, likely to be too expensive or what, Mark?

Keith

post #19 of 30 Old Sep 26th, 2011, 3:25 am

Too posh for a Treffan in my opinion, Meals and bar prices are expensive. Also nothing around within walking distance.
post #20 of 30 Old Sep 26th, 2011, 7:05 am

It's possible that the prices can be reduced when we negotiate with the hotel. If we take, say, 20 rooms that would be a significant number and if we were to accept a limited menu, like we have at Saltburn, the food can come down, too. Drink may be another matter but, again, if arrangements can be made to put all drinks on the room the charges can be adjusted when we check-out. I'm not saying you're wrong, Mark, but perhaps Panman can get some more details of what we might be able to get from them before blowing it out of consideration.

The other hotels you suggested also need looking at, of course.

Keith

post #21 of 30 Old Sep 26th, 2011, 4:26 pm

I shall ask Julie to ring the manager tomorrow for a rate... Weekend packages tend to include breakfast and dinner. If the price is too high then we just keep looking.

PmC
post #22 of 30 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 1:49 pm

Hi Phil,
As mentioned last year.
Baskerville Hall Hotel, Clyro Court, Hay-on-Wye, Powys, HR3 5LE is certainly a suitable place for a motor cycle treffan.
The Laverda Owners Club have used it for their International Rally a number of times.
www.baskervillehall.co.uk
Have a look at their website.
Very good motorcycling country.
post #23 of 30 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 3:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronslaverda
Hi Phil,
As mentioned last year.
Baskerville Hall Hotel, Clyro Court, Hay-on-Wye, Powys, HR3 5LE is certainly a suitable place for a motor cycle treffan.
The Laverda Owners Club have used it for their International Rally a number of times.
www.baskervillehall.co.uk
Have a look at their website.
Very good motorcycling country.
I remember this coming up last year Ron liked the look of it then aswell looks like they could handle the numbers aswell.
post #24 of 30 Old Sep 30th, 2011, 10:18 am

The area around there is great. Took a nice drive from Bristol to Holyhead the long way yesterday. Bristol- Newport- Brecon-Buith Wells- Dolgellau- Blaenau Ffestiniog- Betws y Coed- Holyhead.

Fantastic run. Somewhere along this route preferaby in a small town with a bit of local life within walking distance would be ideal.
post #25 of 30 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 1:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmoloney
The area around there is great. Took a nice drive from Bristol to Holyhead the long way yesterday. Bristol- Newport- Brecon-Buith Wells- Dolgellau- Blaenau Ffestiniog- Betws y Coed- Holyhead.

Fantastic run. Somewhere along this route preferaby in a small town with a bit of local life within walking distance would be ideal.

What about the Bikers retreat in Dolgellau this is where the very first LT meeting was held http://www.bikers-retreat.com/

Paul
post #26 of 30 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 4:55 am

Sounds good
post #27 of 30 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 3:15 am

Wakey wakey, anyone out there ?. Or are we all too busy installing our Stannah stair lifts ?
post #28 of 30 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 4:52 am Thread Starter

Bit lost aswell Mark we had a vote on where to go next year 9 people voted ,Scotland won but we now have other venue's to consider.Do we need another poll between Scotland and the new suggestions?.
I think we need to act quickly on this and also get a date sorted.
post #29 of 30 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 4:44 pm

Hi all yes I agree a date needs to be sorted and then the venue sourced around it, as all venues might not be able to accommodate the time of year we choose.

Regards Paul.
post #30 of 30 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 9:59 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1200
Hi all yes I agree a date needs to be sorted and then the venue sourced around it, as all venues might not be able to accommodate the time of year we choose.

Regards Paul.
Started new thread with a poll to try and get a date sorted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in