tyre options - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jun 15th, 2011, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

tyre options

Hi there ,just wondering if there are any other tyre options for an Lt other than bridgestone and metzeler?
Cheers Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jun 16th, 2011, 6:20 am

Re: tyre options

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis
Hi there ,just wondering if there are any other tyre options for an Lt other than bridgestone and metzeler?
Cheers Dave
Metzeler is out at the moment I am waiting on a rear metzeler for my bike.I had a puncture and the dealer said they are on back order and cant even give me a possible date for a new tyre.I not sure if thats just for certain tyre sizes though.
post #3 of 14 Old Jun 16th, 2011, 6:40 am

this is what I installed on mine last year. They work and seem to grip a little better in the rain than Metzlers, but as we've had so little rain I could be wrong.
AVON STORM 2 ULTRA 120/70R-17 FRONT

AVON STORM 2 ULTRA 160/70R-17 REAR

post #4 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 2:55 am

Avon do not list a tyre for the LT in the UK so fitting one may invalidate your insurance, Dave. It would seem that plenty of people on here have fitted them without problems from reports on here but I'd contact the firm first.

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #5 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 3:02 pm

I am a Storm two man as well but I understand your reservations regarding them not being listed by Avon. Having said that many tyre fitters suggest them.
Rain, we know a little bit about rain here in this part of the world and they perform very well.
post #6 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 8:32 pm

Maxxis? Never heard of them but they say it is for k1200LT
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Maxxis-120-70-...item4aa97c7e56

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #7 of 14 Old Jun 20th, 2011, 10:43 am Thread Starter

Hi all just spoken to a technical guy at avon tyres about using avon storm ultra2 tyres on an lt, they are suitable and the rear one is reinforced as are bridgestones
Hope this helps. Now just got to afford them as well as a diff rebuild
Cheers Dave
post #8 of 14 Old Jun 20th, 2011, 11:53 am

That's good news, Dave. I'd heard that Avon were working on a tyre suitable for the LT but hadn't heard that they'd launched it. Their website still doesn't list a tyre via the model selector so have they given you reference numbers for the front and rear? How do they compare on price with Bridgestone or Metzeler?

Keith

post #9 of 14 Old Jun 21st, 2011, 6:23 am Thread Starter

Hi rockdoc
My local bike shop is an independant one man place, he quoted 240 fitted and balanced and to dispose of the old tyres. I have looked on the internet and have found them for 220 but I would still have to get them balanced which would take away any saving. I have looked at bridgestone and metzelers and there is not a lot of difference in prices.
post #10 of 14 Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 9:12 am

I've had Bridgestone BT-020s on mine since new - Very pleased with them, especially in the wet. I get about 6K miles out of the front and 11K out of the rear. I currently need a new front and the best price I've come across is 83 from HERE.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #11 of 14 Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 9:31 am

I had to swap to Bridgestones a while back when Metzelers were on back-order with no projected supply date. I found the Bridgestones handled a bit better but not enough to make me worry about swapping back if the need arose. I also get about 6k on the front but I'm getting well over 12k out of the back. I use 42psi front and 48psi rear, btw.

Keith

post #12 of 14 Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 9:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdoc
I had to swap to Bridgestones a while back when Metzelers were on back-order with no projected supply date. I found the Bridgestones handled a bit better but not enough to make me worry about swapping back if the need arose. I also get about 6k on the front but I'm getting well over 12k out of the back. I use 42psi front and 48psi rear, btw.

Keith
The metzelers are still on back order Keith and I have heard that the bridgestones are going the same way as the bridgestones are made in Japan. Bmw have bought up all the stock of the metzlers and are buying as many as they can make.
post #13 of 14 Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 7:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by philh24
The metzelers are still on back order Keith and I have heard that the bridgestones are going the same way as the bridgestones are made in Japan. Bmw have bought up all the stock of the metzlers and are buying as many as they can make.
You better believe there is a shortage of BT020s. We needed tyres in Europe on our trip - FIVE tyres in the whole of Germany!! Just 5 and we had to wait a fair while to get any delivered.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #14 of 14 Old Jun 24th, 2011, 3:42 am

That's bad news for us LT riders, isn't it? With the need for special rear tyres we'll be off the road if the tyre companies stop making them. I hope things ease before the Autumn because I want to have a week on the Continent and I'll need at least a new front by then.

Keith

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in