Speedo / Rear ABS Sensor K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 28th, 2011, 8:52 am Thread Starter

Speedo / Rear ABS Sensor K1200LT

Dear all - advice needed
My 2000LT has developed a speedo fault. ITs needle started acting strongly a few weeks ago (Moving / bouncing up and down while bike moving) then it stopped working altogether

Common opinion / advice on the forum was its a common problem and the fault most likely would be that the speedo / rear ABS sensor playing up.

1/ Taken to a local BMW dealer ,checked out and the sensor was cleaned and refitted by them - unfortunately still not fixed

2/ Then they replaced the sensor unit and tried it agin......still not fixed

3/ Now they think its a cracked wire somewhere between the main loom and the speedo clocks !!!!

Im not entirely convinced and they don,t fill me with confidence thus far
So before all the Tupperware has to come off and I have to sell a kidney to pay their hourly rate, does anyone have any ideas / experiences
Cheers
Gerry Mc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 28th, 2011, 9:09 am

Re: Speedo / Rear ABS Sensor K1200LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMmer123
Dear all - advice needed
My 2000LT has developed a speedo fault. ITs needle started acting strongly a few weeks ago (Moving / bouncing up and down while bike moving) then it stopped working altogether

Common opinion / advice on the forum was its a common problem and the fault most likely would be that the speedo / rear ABS sensor playing up.

1/ Taken to a local BMW dealer ,checked out and the sensor was cleaned and refitted by them - unfortunately still not fixed

2/ Then they replaced the sensor unit and tried it agin......still not fixed

3/ Now they think its a cracked wire somewhere between the main loom and the speedo clocks !!!!

Im not entirely convinced and they don,t fill me with confidence thus far
So before all the Tupperware has to come off and I have to sell a kidney to pay their hourly rate, does anyone have any ideas / experiences
Cheers
Gerry Mc
Click here for a read on the common solution to the crazy speedo problem. This also affects the Cruise Control, until the break in the speedo wire is found and soldered. Good luck.
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 28th, 2011, 2:30 pm

I dealt with this problem on mine last year. I'm pretty sure the speedo sender is not the same as the abs sender. Anyhow, like the posts in the link above, I was able to solder the broken wire, heat shrink it and it has worked flawlessly up til this point. If I recall, the BMW part was around $170.00 Cdn., but was not stocked at the dealer, so it was to be 7 -10 business days for shipping from Germany. On mine, there was 6 - 8 inches of extra wire looped where it ties to the frame where it crosses under the seat, so you should be able to have enough wire to cut out enough to stagger the joints if you have to repair both wires.
The break was in the first couple of inches behind where the line is zip tied to the frame mounting point for the rear brake caliper flex hose. On mine, it was from flexing, not abrasion. The only clue to the location was a crack in the outer casing of the wire at this point. I had the tupperware off to do this and took the wire out to solder. If you are creative, you might be able to get enough access from both sides by taking off the pillion seat and fishing the wire out. Going from rear to front, the first factory join in this wire is actually on the left side, under the pillion seat, where the wire turns toward the front of the bike. By the way, mine is a '99, don't know if that makes any difference. Hope this helps.

Ross
K1200LT (99)

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 28th, 2011, 3:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcclure
I'm pretty sure the speedo sender is not the same as the abs sender.
This is a key point -- the '99 and '00 bikes (and '01s??) have separate ABS and speed sensors and wires. IIRC, the '02's were the first year the wheel speed sensor was deleted, leaving the ABS sensor to provide a signal for both functions (pretty sure it was '02, as the sensor change happened when the new Integral ABS ("whizzy") brakes were introduced).

On the early bikes the wheel speed sensor is on the outer face of the FD; on later bikes the boss is still there in the casting, but no hole for a sensor is drilled.

So, assuming your '00 has two sensors on the FD, you have to trace both lines -- from your description, I suspect that the dealer's tech only checked/replaced one sensor. There's nothing to stop you from undoing the death-strangle zip-ties and feeling about the harnesses to track down the wire break.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 5th, 2011, 11:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMmer123
Dear all - advice needed
Gerry:
this may be completely off-base, but worth a try.

I had this issue on one of my previous bikes; it was either the K100RS or K1200RS. On the one that failed, there was a tooth ring pressed onto the crown wheel in the final drive - the teeth of the ring passed under the speed sensor to drive the speedometer.

The tooth ring slipped of the crownwheel a bit and was not turning. Actually, the viscosity of the fluid was making it turn a bit - thus, speed indication was erratic, either zero or jumping, always below real speed.

I detected it by pulling the sensor out from the FD housing. The teeth of the sensing ring are visible with a strong light through the sensor hole. They may still move with the wheel being rotated - I gently stuck a thin screwdriver and tried to prevent the ring from rotating: it did stop, proving that it got detached from the crown wheel.

The diagnosis was very simple, the fix a bit more involved. I opened the final drive, cleaned the mating surfaces with solvents and used one of these ultra-strong epoxies (like J-B Weld) to reattach the tooth ring to the crown wheel - it was spun free and would not press-fit anymore.

Now, it is a few years since I had a K1200LT final drive apart. I do not remember how this is set up internally. If it has similar construction to the older RS bikes, you could have this issue.

So, if I were you, before spending more money chasing electrical gremlins, I'd pull out the speed sensor and have a quick look inside the FD. All it'd cost you is a little bit of time.

Good luck. Robert.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in