Visiting Dover UK - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 20th, 2011, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

Visiting Dover UK

Need some help here.
Daughter in law is swimming the Channel in September 2011.
www.swimthechannel.net
We plan on spending a week in the town of Walmer or Deal near Dover. Looking for suggestions for places to stay. Looking to stay a nice place but don't want to break the bank either. A B&B or extended stay type places where we could do a bit of our own cooking we are open to.

Thanks in advance for your help

Mike Gore

Mike G
Northen Illinois Packer Fan
K1200lt 2002
LT Trunk Latch Maker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 21st, 2011, 3:24 am

Re: Visiting Dover UK

Dover and Folkestone tend to be quite expensive across the board because of the cross-Channel ferry and Tunnel traffic so you may need to look a bit further afield, probably inland rather than the coast. I can't help with specifics but I use booking.com when I'm looking for hotels at home and abroad.

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #3 of 9 Old Mar 21st, 2011, 8:21 am Thread Starter

thanks for the lead on booking.com We will check it out. Wife found some places in Deal that were not to bad compared to this side of the pond. It seems as if this area is not a super heavy tourist destination. Or am I wrong? Seems like a place to stop & stay a day or so, check out the White Cliffs and some Castles then move on. Is this the correct take on the matter?

We will not be motorcycling but interested in some day or 2 day trips from this area.

So we are looking for suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Mike G
K1200lt 2002
LT Trunk Latch Maker

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 21st, 2011, 9:16 am

Kent has a lot of history so you don't need to go far to see good stuff. Canterbury is well worth a day trip. You'll enjoy wandering its mediaeval streets and the Cathedral is very fine. Dover Castle has recently been partially restored and is supposed to be excellent. You won't be a million miles from Hastings, although the site is at nearby Battle, where William the Conqueror built an abbey. If you've not been, London is a must but, for goodness' sake, take the train. Buy all rail tickets at least a week before you want to travel or the prices will shoot up. You can do that on-line at National Rail Enquiries. Buy a day-ticket for the Underground, probably for Zones 1 to 4. That should let you go anywhere in the central area.

For something a bit quirkier, take a ride on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway. It's a steam-powered narrow-gauge line that runs services like a full-sized one.

The former Royal Navy dockyard at Chatham is good for a full day.

The Kent Tourist Office will give you all the details you need.

Keith

post #5 of 9 Old Mar 21st, 2011, 10:24 am

Hi,
Have a look at www.smoothhound.co.uk you will find everything from B&B to 5 star hotel.
I have used this site over the last 10 years and have been pleased with the result.
Regards Ron
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:44 am Thread Starter

Thanks so far for the info.... very good suggestions.

Now on to more info requests

We are planning on renting a car to use. I know we drive on the wrong side of the road an all on this side of the pond. But I am not un comfortable with the idea of driving on the left side of the road. Should we pick up the car near Heathrow or should we take a train to Deal and rent a car there?

On a side note the wife would like to visit some of the attractions of London. Such as the Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey etc.... So the big question is how many days should we allow? I know one day will only allow for so much.

We are both fans of Gordon Ramsay. So we would might want to take in a lunch or dinner at one of his places. Yes I checked the menu 18 pounds for lunch is more than I typically pay for a plate of dinner and all but.... Or is there some place else that is better for lunch or dinner and a good drink.

Thanks

Mike G
K1200lt 2002
LT Trunk Latch Maker
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 4:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrider79
We are planning on renting a car to use. I know we drive on the wrong side of the road an all on this side of the pond. But I am not un comfortable with the idea of driving on the left side of the road. Should we pick up the car near Heathrow or should we take a train to Deal and rent a car there?
Either way will take quite a long time. It would probably be a bit cheaper to hire a car but you then have the prospect of driving right round London on the M25, which is always busy and often slow, and then a trudge down the M20. I find that motorways can be very boring. Depending on how long your travel time to London will be, you could be tired and you really need your wits about you as you'll be getting used to our traffic. I'd be tempted to take the Heathrow Express into London Paddington, which is far quicker than using the Tube, and then use the Tube to go to whichever station you need for the Deal (or wherever) train. That way you can snooze if you need to. If you want to have a couple of nights in London I suppose there's an argument as to whether to do that at the start or end of your trip to maximise your time and save on train fares. Either way, if it were me, I'd take the train to and from the airport and hire a car close to your hotel in Kent.

Quote:
On a side note the wife would like to visit some of the attractions of London. Such as the Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey etc.... So the big question is how many days should we allow? I know one day will only allow for so much.

We are both fans of Gordon Ramsay. So we would might want to take in a lunch or dinner at one of his places. Yes I checked the menu 18 pounds for lunch is more than I typically pay for a plate of dinner and all but.... Or is there some place else that is better for lunch or dinner and a good drink.
You need two full days to see that lot and do them justice. The Houses of Parliament (Big Ben is at one end of it), Whitehall, Horseguards Parade, The London Eye, Trafalgar Square and Westminster Abbey are all within easy walking distance of each other. There are tours of parts of Buckingham Palace at certain times of the year but not always so you may end up just seeing it from The Mall and St James' Park. The Changing of the Guard is well worth seeing. An open-topped bus tour would be a great taster and give you a feel for the place. Some use DUKWs and take you along the River Thames part of the way.

If you stay overnight then do take in a show. There is something for every taste and every pocket. Ticketmaster and SeeTickets will help there. The West End theatres have a well-deserved reputation. Some places have arrangements with restaurants to dine after the show, which could make a very romantic evening for you both.

Eating out is not a problem in London. There is everything from a KFC to 5* Michelin places that need a mortgage to eat there! Take your pick!

Keith

post #8 of 9 Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 4:13 am

My advice to you is DO NOT rent a car at Heathrow airport or in London, you will pay double, travel out and get one, not only that you will have to use the M25 Motorway, as Chris Rea called it in his song "The road to Hell"

Westminster Abbey is well worth a visit, tho last year it was 10 per person entry. London aint cheap. As for eating why not use a pub, the pub grub is far better value.

If you have time try and visit Harrods the world famous department store, the prices will make your eyes water, and the food hall will make your mouth water. if you want to eat there is a place in Harrods called the Green Man you can get a pint in there as well, its down stairs in the mens clothing section, well worth a visit. I used to go there when i worked in Knightsbridge

Any other info give us a shout

Regards

Mike

Last edited by mikebridle; Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:44 am.
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 24th, 2011, 3:30 pm

Hi,
Depending on what time you are getting to Heathrow it may be OK to take your hire car from there.
But ! the motorway (M25) is not a place where I would choose to learn driving on the wrong side of the road.
You could get a train to perhaps Ashford International Railway station which is not to far from where you are staying and get a more gentle introduction to driving on the left then at the end of your Holiday drop the car back at Heathrow.
For meals at a very reasonable price I suggest you try a Toby Inn Carvery ( www.tobycarvery.co.uk), plenty of food at a reasonable price.
There are Toby Calverys all over the UK.
As far as visiting London I would do it over 2 Days and plan to get into London after 9.00am to miss the worst of the rush houir which is awful and try to leave before 4.30pm or after 7.00pm.
Big Ben and Westminster Abbey are next to one another and Buckingham Palace is about 2 Miles away.
A very good way of getting to see London is to go to the London Eye which is 10 Minutes walk from Waterloo Station and catch a river Bus you can get a fare reduction if you produce a london Travel Card.
The river Bus runms alday every 20 Minutes and goes from Waterloo Pier to The O2 Millenium Dome and if you by a rover Ticket you can get on and off as many times as you like. There web site is www.thamesclippers.com take a look.
Contact me if you need any other information.
Regards Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in