Buddy, can you spare a dime? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Feb 28th, 2011, 5:48 am Thread Starter

Buddy, can you spare a dime?

A couple of tips for my fellow Mark II LT riders:
  1. Buy a centre-stand pump and rebuild it yourself, using Ari's guide, and put it on the shelf. They cost 625 pounds from BMW and the fitting is another 100. I kept the old one and that's now on my list of jobs.
  2. Brake calipers are not part of the routine maintenance schedule. I had a front one stick on and it brought the bike to a standstill. It freed off and I managed to get it to my dealer, where they found that both front calipers were in a real state. That cost me the repair time - they needed a complete strip on the bench - plus a refill and flush of the hydraulics. Unless an owner requests it, calipers are not maintained. I was told that BMW policy is that it is unnecessary, even though dealers regularly request that it be added.
The bill, including my MOT test, was 873 pounds! Beware!

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Feb 28th, 2011, 8:49 am

Re: Buddy, can you spare a dime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdoc
A couple of tips for my fellow Mark II LT riders:
  1. Buy a centre-stand pump and rebuild it yourself, using Ari's guide, and put it on the shelf. They cost 625 pounds from BMW and the fitting is another 100. I kept the old one and that's now on my list of jobs.
  2. Brake calipers are not part of the routine maintenance schedule. I had a front one stick on and it brought the bike to a standstill. It freed off and I managed to get it to my dealer, where they found that both front calipers were in a real state. That cost me the repair time - they needed a complete strip on the bench - plus a refill and flush of the hydraulics. Unless an owner requests it, calipers are not maintained. I was told that BMW policy is that it is unnecessary, even though dealers regularly request that it be added.
The bill, including my MOT test, was 873 pounds! Beware!

Keith
A bit steep Keith but nothing else you can really do when your in that situation.I find it strange that they dont test maintain the calipers aswell I had to take my rt for its yearly service today.
Full fluid change and the various other checks came to £308 that included a brake fluid change on a 12month old bike.
post #3 of 4 Old Feb 28th, 2011, 10:14 am Thread Starter

The bill's not too bad if you take out the cost of the pump, leaving a couple of hundred quid for the MOT, stripping both calipers and doing the brake fluid and a couple of hours to actually swap the pump over.

All fluids should be changed every 24 months on an LT, I've been told, but it doesn't come up as a reminder on the mileage-related maintenance schedules so they have to remember to check the date of registration and mine got missed several times. It was five years before they realised they'd not done it and I only triggered that check by complaining that the clutch was a bit spongy. No harm done, thank goodness..

It's ridiculous that they don't include caliper maintenance but BMW won't add it in. All they're supposed to do is check the pads for wear. I suppose seven years isn't too bad. I'm sure most people swap their bikes before that, which may be why BMW don't include it. Who knows?

Keith

UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #4 of 4 Old Mar 1st, 2011, 5:39 pm

If ANY of you guys wants to refurb your brakes or learn how to do it - come on over for a weekend at mine

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in