vacation to Ireland, March 23-29 2011 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 21st, 2010, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

Question vacation to Ireland, March 23-29 2011

planning on flying into Dublin (from Maine).
any input on hotels, car rentals, "must sees"?

There will be three of us, myself, wife, and my daughter (the chef!)

any and all info will be appreciated.

-Mark

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 21st, 2010, 7:47 pm

Re: vacation to Ireland, March 23-29 2011

Mark............I am jealous...........do have fun and B-Safe.................

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 21st, 2010, 10:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Mark,
I've been a couple of times. The last was a few years ago renting a car in Dublin and then touring for two weeks.

Get out of Dublin ASAP and make a counterclockwise trip end back in Dublin but stay in the burbs and take a train in. The traffic is nasty. Be sure to visit the Guinness Brewery in Dublin and also the Jamisson Distillery.
You should also visit Kylemore Abby & Gardens in Connemara on your way to Galway.

What are your interests: castles, history, Cliffs of Moor, Dingle Peninsula relatives, etc? Pass on the Blarney Stone. It is rumored that it is peed upon each evening!!!

Perhaps some of our Irish lads will speak up. My grand dad was born in Ballisodare, County Sligo and I found some related cousins!

Get a good guide book and then see what is of interest. B&B's are great and very hospitable.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 4:21 am

March, so you are coming for the rainy season then. Well in fact the rainy season lasts most of the year anyway. There are far too numerous places to see here in such a short time so you are going to have be specific with what you want to see. Cities?, coast?, remote areas of natural beauty?, small rural towns with character?
Me, being from the Dublin on the East coast I would avoid most of this part of Ireland and head West and south. By far the best bit. If you are flying into Dublin car hire is relatiely cheap and the road system out of Dublin has improved a lot over the years.
Tell me what you would like to see or experience and I (and I am sure the other Irish here) can suggest some itineries etc..

Mark
post #5 of 13 Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 8:53 am

Oh, man, that's 'going to be a wonderful trip... Y'all have fun and drink up a few pubs for me, wouldja?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 13 Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 5:47 pm

You have a bag big enough for me to stow away in ????
Have fun.... wish i was going too
post #7 of 13 Old Nov 4th, 2010, 5:36 am

Hi Mark

Dublin has some "must see's" but only a days worth. Drop us a line closer to the rime with what you'd liek to experience and we'll sort you out! Are you planning riding whilst here?

Cheers

Brian

post #8 of 13 Old Nov 4th, 2010, 3:52 pm

If you are planning to ride here I have a R1150GS you can borrow. You will have to organise your own insurance however.

Mark
post #9 of 13 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 11:44 am

Whatever you do don't forget to come to Northern Ireland to the home of road racing at the North West 200 races which are held on the north coast on ordinary roads and they happen in May. 120,000 people attend and speeds are 200mph +.

Paul
post #10 of 13 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 3:22 pm

Good for you! We took a 15 day tour in the spring and loved every minute. Got lucky, I mean with the weather and had only one afternoon of rain. We went to Brunratty Village,
Limerick city, Adare, Killarney, just to name a few. Spent too much time in Blarney,
especially the Blarney Woolen Mills after which we needed another suitcase to get
everything home, coat, scarf, waterford glasses(draft of course), jewellry and on and on
and on. We were also trying to find some roots to the O'Brien name, but quickly found
out every fifth person also has that name.
All kidding aside, a great place to visit for something unique.
Enjoy
post #11 of 13 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 3:33 pm

You will enjoy Ireland. I`ve been there in 2007. A must see is for sure the Ring of Kerry, Gap of Dunloe and the Dingle Route. If you have a chance take a boat ride that will take you on a lake (forgot the name) to the "Queens View". Amazing landscape and scenery around!!!

best regards from Bavaria

Rudy
"Winghunter"
Administrator and Chairman of the MTCG
The European Motorcycle Touring Community
Motorcycle Touring Club Germany

- Forum

post #12 of 13 Old Mar 21st, 2011, 5:25 am

Hi Mark

Be prepared

www.visitdublin.ie
ww.visitireland.com
www.discovernorthernireland.com

Dublin can be expensive due to the economic downturn and the poor exchange rate of the Euro
While there go and see Temple Bar area (on the South bank of the river Liffey in Dublin - Redeveloped) but dont eat / buy / stay there ....its very touristy and costly
While In Dublin...
Do the Jamesons distillery
Do Killmanian Jail tour
Do St.Michans Church (Nr The fruit market / OConnel St) for the mummified Crusaders
Get a good secondhand guide book from any of the local bookshops....we like our cafes / bookshops / pubs

Try to get out of the city and explore the country

Central Ireland
Town of Kells (Nice stop over) on way to the West Coast - The cliff of Mohar / Sligo / Galway

N Ireland
Belfast - The crown bar on Gt Victoria Street
Antrim - The gaints causeway / Carrick a reid rope bridge - Bushmills Distillery (Free samples on tour)
Visit Joey Dunlops cafe /pub Dunloy Co Antrim -
North Antrim coast road -
Co Down - The mountains of mourne - Silent Valley Dam
Co Armagh - Lough Neagh Discovery Centre
Navan Fort
Donegal.....if you can

DO Drink Guiness / Murphys Stout / Jamesions / Poteen lol eat Soda farls and Wheaten bread

Enjoy the climate / the craic and the people
Listen to some live music / sing along ....no one cares if you cant
Be careful of the car drivers, especially in southern ireland......loons
Indicating / braking for them is optional
Ignore mileage markers and time tables / deadlines ....its IRELAND
Weather check....
if the rains vertical and warm its spring / summer
if its horizontal and cold its autumn or winter
The wind is an optional extra....why do you thing warm dry pubs where so popular lol
post #13 of 13 Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 7:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansmiker
Whatever you do don't forget to come to Northern Ireland to the home of road racing at the North West 200 races which are held on the north coast on ordinary roads and they happen in May. 120,000 people attend and speeds are 200mph +.

Paul
I attended the 200 while working over there, what a rush! Definitely spend a few days in "Nor'n Iron" exploring the Glens and the coast road, There's usually local racing going on around the Antrim airport on weekends that great craic.

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in