Saltburn by the sea (same as last year) 10 58.82%
Inverness 4 23.53%
1 treffen next year 4 23.53%
2 treffens next year 12 70.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old Aug 8th, 2010, 6:17 am Thread Starter

2011 Treffen.

As this years treffen seemed to be a complete success like last years are we going to do it again next year.How about having 2 next year any idea's for a venue.
You may think its a bit early to be talking about it but getting these things booked ahead of time is a must.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old Aug 8th, 2010, 6:25 am

Re: 2011 Treffen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philh24
As this years treffen seemed to be a complete success like last years are we going to do it again next year.How about having 2 next year any idea's for a venue.
You may think its a bit early to be talking about it but getting these things booked ahead of time is a must.
I'm with you on that. I'd like to come up to Saltburn again, and this time stay the extra day. As for another location, maybe we should organise a run over and stay with Hartmut in Lindlar. We could go to one of their Stammtisch meets.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #3 of 45 Old Aug 9th, 2010, 8:03 pm

I am all for 2 meets next year - again, think the venue at Saltburn worked brilliantly so would be more than happy to go back.

A jolly jaunt across to Germany would be fantastic.... End of May would be GREAT for me as have a chunk of time booked off then... but open to whatever suits the majority.

post #4 of 45 Old Aug 10th, 2010, 2:57 am

Ireland?????
post #5 of 45 Old Aug 10th, 2010, 6:29 am

Saltburn is a great location and this years venue was superb,well done Phil.Now Ireland that sounds good to me,and all up for a run over to Germany.
post #6 of 45 Old Aug 10th, 2010, 11:59 am Thread Starter

I think we are going to have to get a few locations and then have a poll on them.I would suggest that we have suggestions until the end of the month and then a poll until mid september so that we can vote.
Ideally it would be good if we could all be staying in the same venue like this year or like at cookies last year where we all had a central meeting point (cookies house).
The venue this year was easily sorted because i new that they could and would cater for us quite cheaply.Rick (cookie) last year did his groundwork and found several guest houses for us all to stop in we had a great barbie at Ricks so that worked ok.I think some hotels may not like to take so many bikes at one time I am sure it was Keith who said he had tried a venue but they did not want to no, I am sure he will chip in if it wasnt him.
I think before you suggest a location in your area find somwhere that will take us all for a block booking and that you are prepared to do the legwork to get it sorted.Unless like at cookies you find some guest houses close together preferably with secure parking and a meeting point for us all to congregate.
Suggestions so far.
Germany.
Ireland.
Saltburn.
post #7 of 45 Old Aug 10th, 2010, 5:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmoloney
Ireland?????
yes, another great place to visit, loved Cork area and Kerry. Was there for a week, and found it about 10 weeks too short a break. the people we met were the greatest. One guy Mick McCarthy, who was a Champagne drinker, spent the whole night telling us stories, jokes and having a great crack, And he wasn't doing it for the drink. He had something to do with the theatre, so was used to working with an audience, and we were willing one.

Thanks for bring those memories flooding back, was a great week.

Rgds
Mike

post #8 of 45 Old Aug 11th, 2010, 2:54 am

It was me, Phil. I contacted a conference venue at Castleton in the Peak District and they said they couldn't help but I discovered last weekend that the Buxton Festival takes place throughout July and that attracts a lot of people so I wouldn't be surprised if they are already booked for that month. I'm still looking but I'm not sure now where to look. We visited Bakewell last weekend and there's nothing suitable there. The one hotel that could have accommodated us doesn't have a car-park! It must make its living from coach trips.

How wedded are we to July? Would anyone object to late June. for example? I don't think we want to go into August as we're then into school holidays = peak season prices.

The only downside to Ireland is the cost of the ferry. The BMW Club National Rally is at Coleraine this year and it's too dear for us even with a discount the Club has negotiated. I'm certainly not suggesting that Mark can't arrange a Treffen but I'd think it would always be a smaller gathering than if it were over here. Going to Smutje's isn't quite as bad because we can use Tesco vouchers to get cheap tickets for the Chunnel.

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #9 of 45 Old Aug 11th, 2010, 10:13 pm

Personally, I would need to avoid the weekend of the 18th June as doing my second Iron Butt Rally SaddleSore 1000 for the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal over that weekend -one or two others I spoke to in Saltburn were potentially interested in doing it with me so that weekend may be best avoided...?

Anyone else fancy doing 1000miles in 24hrs or less for charity? - would be FANTASTIC to have more than one K1200LT on the event - this year saw a contigent from the NW UK GoldWing club ... I would love to emulate that with a little group of LT's in 2011....
post #10 of 45 Old Aug 14th, 2010, 12:35 pm

HI....just been reading in Ride magazine about the BMW Motorrad Days - next year it will be from July 1st to 3rd in Garmisch -Partenkirchen.... sounds excellent! How about we ride to that ? Anyone up for that? Its a free, 3 day festival laid on by BMW ....Ompah bands, rockbands, food, beer, exhibitions, stunt shows etc etc ....free camping or hotels nearby.... could be fun! And would be cool to have a whole entourage of K1200LT's from the UK making it across there... just a thought!
post #11 of 45 Old Aug 14th, 2010, 12:49 pm

It's quite something, Andy, but our Treffen would get lost in the melee. It's an enormous event with thousands of bikes so we'd be lucky to find each other, believe me! The whole town gets taken over and you find examples of BMWs in the oddest of places, such as at the top of the local mountain. We've been twice and wouldn't mind going again but I don't think that it makes a lot of sense to combine it with the Treffen.

Keith

post #12 of 45 Old Aug 15th, 2010, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

I think Keith is spot on there we would never be able to find each other,thats not to say a few of us could not go over anyway.
I go to mcn live every april for a long weekend and would recomend that its reasonably priced and there is loads to do.We could actually use butlins pontins as a place for a venue really all book for the same long weekend.There are some great cut price offers to be had early and late season and plenty of entertainment for free and they dont discriminate against bikes (just a thought).
If we went down that route we could hold meetings in many different parts of the country without anyone having to organise them.
MCN live last year cost me £150 per person for 3 nights including breakfast and dinner not everybodys cup of tea but might be woth a thought.
post #13 of 45 Old Aug 16th, 2010, 4:24 am

We have to think about the type of event we want to have. I know that's trite but it's the starting point. Last year we could get away with having people spread around because we had Cookie's place to act as a focus. I thought this year was, well, not better exactly but I thought it was good that we were all together because that helped people organise themselves into groups, whether that was to go up to Lindisfarne or just down to a local pub at night.

Trying to find somewhere in the Peak District is proving difficult. There are only a few places where you're likely to find hotels that can offer 20+ rooms. Buxton is out for July because of its Festival. Then you're pretty much left with the fringes of the Peak, which are not so good aesthetically at least: Derby, Nottingham, Chesterfield or even Stoke on Trent. Go north and you're hitting the fringes of Manchester, like Stockport. East and you're looking towards Sheffield. The hotels aren't in the pretty bits so we then have to decide how much riding we're prepared to do in order to reach the nice places.

Many seaside towns will certainly have hotels that can cope with the numbers, whether or not we look at a Butlin's or Pontin's. Not everywhere is top-notch, though. A group I'm in had their conference at one of the bigger hotels in Southport this year and aren't going back because, despite a lot of eye-to-eye contact with the staff, they felt let down. I've never been to a holiday camp but I'd expect they'd have a reputation to keep up and hope for returnees, which hotels perhaps are less bothered about.I think it's got to be worth a gamble for one year. Not Skegness, though. There's not much decent riding round there and the roads to and from Lincolnshire aren't great.

I think we've got plenty to chew over in the next few weeks.

Keith

post #14 of 45 Old Aug 18th, 2010, 12:55 pm

Hi Phil,
In regards of a venue to use next year.
I do know that the Laverda owners club are using Baskerville Hall, Hay on Wye for their international rally this year so they are not averse to bikers.
I have stayed there at a previous rally some years ago and it is wonderful riding country.
I have had a quick chat with the Hotel and all they ask re bookings is a £20 ( per night booked) non returnable deposit.
If you look at their site www.baskervillehall.co.uk you will see that they have everything from en suite rooms to camping available.
Unfortunately its not exactly near me so its not practical to pop in and have a word with the manager re any deal that could be struck.
One thing to be aware of is to steer clear of the Hay Festival at the end of May beginning of June as it gets full up well in advance.
Regards Ron
post #15 of 45 Old Aug 18th, 2010, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

Looks nice Ron I will add it to the list of possibles good they have a website so people can go have a look.
Germany.
Ireland.
Saltburn.
Baskerville hall.

Last edited by philh24; Aug 18th, 2010 at 6:01 pm.
post #16 of 45 Old Aug 19th, 2010, 2:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronslaverda
Hi Phil,
In regards of a venue to use next year.
I do know that the Laverda owners club are using Baskerville Hall, Hay on Wye for their international rally this year so they are not averse to bikers.
I have stayed there at a previous rally some years ago and it is wonderful riding country.
I have had a quick chat with the Hotel and all they ask re bookings is a £20 ( per night booked) non returnable deposit.
If you look at their site www.baskervillehall.co.uk you will see that they have everything from en suite rooms to camping available.
Unfortunately its not exactly near me so its not practical to pop in and have a word with the manager re any deal that could be struck.
One thing to be aware of is to steer clear of the Hay Festival at the end of May beginning of June as it gets full up well in advance.
Regards Ron

Thats MKY's & cookie's neck of the woods,
Unfortunately, if its a BMW Treffen 2011, I will not be attending, as for now at lest,
I don't own a BMW.
post #17 of 45 Old Aug 19th, 2010, 8:55 am

Where is your BMW gone ?
post #18 of 45 Old Aug 19th, 2010, 9:48 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear-KLT
Thats MKY's & cookie's neck of the woods,
Unfortunately, if its a BMW Treffen 2011, I will not be attending, as for now at lest,
I don't own a BMW.
I am sure that you would still be welcome you have had an lt for a few years and we all no each other now,I cant see you not being allowed.I went on an RT and nothing was said yes I no I organised the last one but even if I had'nt we all met up on the 1st year and became firm friends.
We may have to park at the back out of sight but we will cope lol.
post #19 of 45 Old Aug 19th, 2010, 7:49 pm

Thought you might like to see her..

With the box's
post #20 of 45 Old Aug 20th, 2010, 8:38 am

Location: Lindlar, Nordrhein Westfalen, Deutschland / Germany
Thumbs up Re: 2011 Treffen.

Ich helfe Euch auch gerne mit meinem Trailer aus )........
Wir freuen uns Euch wieder zu sehen - in UK oder hier in Lindlar !

Monique und Hartmut der Smutje

post #21 of 45 Old Aug 20th, 2010, 9:40 am

Since I am from Holland, I vote for Lindlar
post #22 of 45 Old Aug 20th, 2010, 4:49 pm

hi folks.
First my congrats to carl and his kasawa no, kakawa no, kakasa, (bmw is so easy!!!) if it is a motorbike you are welcome friend!

Have we thougt about visiting Scotland, or isnt it worth it? (are there some real men in kilts driving a bavarian toy?)
On the other hand i think Ireland is very nice and has wonderful roads (Arround Skegness).
Jürgen

Sorry, it isnt Skegness, what i wanted to mention, but Skeries (or so) north of Dublin.

Last edited by oorty; Aug 20th, 2010 at 5:06 pm.
post #23 of 45 Old Sep 5th, 2010, 12:23 pm

Hi folks ,

when is the date from the "Treffen" 2011 exactly ?
You now where ?
I must planing in my calander !

Hartmut the smutje

post #24 of 45 Old Sep 5th, 2010, 2:50 pm

In 2009, the MTCE celebrated his Midsummer Meeting in the Inverness area.

Overnight ferries left from close to Amsterdam. I need to check my papers from last year and I can let you know the prices for the ferry. This part of my info is just interesting for the guys from the Mainlands

I can also privde you a link of the campground. We rented mobilehomes at that time. they were nicely equipped, had 2 double bedrooms, a shower and toilet, living room and kitch. Was pretty spacy for 2 couples.

IF you are interested, I can provide you more infos.

The daily trips we made, were just amazing!! Stunning landscape and great riding area!!!!

best regards from Bavaria

Rudy
"Winghunter"
Administrator and Chairman of the MTCG
The European Motorcycle Touring Community
Motorcycle Touring Club Germany

- Forum

post #25 of 45 Old Sep 5th, 2010, 3:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winghunter
In 2009, the MTCE celebrated his Midsummer Meeting in the Inverness area.

Overnight ferries left from close to Amsterdam. I need to check my papers from last year and I can let you know the prices for the ferry. This part of my info is just interesting for the guys from the Mainlands

I can also privde you a link of the campground. We rented mobilehomes at that time. they were nicely equipped, had 2 double bedrooms, a shower and toilet, living room and kitch. Was pretty spacy for 2 couples.

IF you are interested, I can provide you more infos.

The daily trips we made, were just amazing!! Stunning landscape and great riding area!!!!
Thanks for the above the info would be very useful if you can post it then we can put it as one of the options for people to chose.No dates have been set yet Hartmut dont even no where we are going till probably end of the month.I think we should have a poll next week so that things can be sorted with the choices we have so far.If there are anymore sugestions please post them before we have the poll.
post #26 of 45 Old Sep 6th, 2010, 11:57 am

Here is the link.

http://www.auchnahillin.co.uk/

Very helpful and nice owners. I am sure we can get a discount there. Just mention my name or the MTCE.

Great pub close by. It is the Tomatin Inn Pub.
http://www.tomatininn.co.uk/

Very good food and fantastic service

best regards from Bavaria

Rudy
"Winghunter"
Administrator and Chairman of the MTCG
The European Motorcycle Touring Community
Motorcycle Touring Club Germany

- Forum

post #27 of 45 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 5:58 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winghunter
Here is the link.

http://www.auchnahillin.co.uk/

Very helpful and nice owners. I am sure we can get a discount there. Just mention my name or the MTCE.

Great pub close by. It is the Tomatin Inn Pub.
http://www.tomatininn.co.uk/

Very good food and fantastic service
Thanks for the link another possible to chose from.
post #28 of 45 Old Sep 9th, 2010, 7:28 pm

Hi all
Sorry i have been off the radar for so long - loss of job and other priorities unfortunately.
But now all sorted and rolling again!!

So
Just to add to the mix - the local town here has just been blessed with the reopening of the Knighton Hotel, Powys - 15 on-suite rooms and of course, someone on the ground to do all the leg work and some really good new ride outs.
BBQ at mine one evening (maybe without a force 9 gale!)

BUT is 15 rooms enough? Mind you, some people may prefer the local B&Bs they used last time.

How many rooms were used this year?

Worth me asking the hotel for further details?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #29 of 45 Old Sep 10th, 2010, 5:54 am Thread Starter

Hiya Rick sorry about your demise but glad your all sorted again.We had 22 rooms available to us and we used about 19 of them.I think like you having organised one its important to have someone that can do the legwork because there can be a bit of running around involved.
I think it would be a good idea to see what the hotel says anyway going to start a poll on sunday on the various places thats been suggested.I will add it to the list because even if its a no go we have the bed and breakfasts by you if thats ok with you.
I think we need to get a destination sorted as soon as possible and also if we are having 2 next year.
post #30 of 45 Old Sep 10th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Quote:
Hiya Rick sorry about your demise but glad your all sorted again.We had 22 rooms available to us and we used about 19 of them.I think like you having organised one its important to have someone that can do the legwork because there can be a bit of running around involved.
I think it would be a good idea to see what the hotel says anyway going to start a poll on sunday on the various places thats been suggested.I will add it to the list because even if its a no go we have the bed and breakfasts by you if thats ok with you.
I think we need to get a destination sorted as soon as possible and also if we are having 2 next year.
Just a thought on the poll, perhaps the option of 1st choice,2nd choice etc, that way if there is a chance of two, we already know which is most favoured?? Just a thought.

Rgds
Mike

post #31 of 45 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 1:53 pm Thread Starter

I have started the poll and set it to run for 10 days I think I have included all the options and it is set so that you can choose 2 locations and how many treffens that we will be haveing.
post #32 of 45 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 8:04 am

I have just joined the forum and I have been looking at the posts for this years treffen, is next years treffen still only open to K1200lt's.I ask because I have just taken delivery of a new RT and dont want to vote on your poll if its for lt's only.
post #33 of 45 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 11:08 am

As I have just changed my Lt for the 1300Gt I hope they will still let me in!!! I have voted and hope to go, as long as it is during school holidays and I can get away from school.
post #34 of 45 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 2:27 pm Thread Starter

Well i went this year without an LT on my Rt although I had organised this one so would have been a bit hard to say I couldn't come. I dont think that we would ever get enough LT's together to fill a venue we had a few rooms spare this year so I would say go ahead and vote.
Like Chris says he will be going and he is the third member that went this year that has not got his lt anymore.I am sure that there will still be enough LT's go for them to be the majority.
Welcome to the forum Dave notice that was your 1st post enjoy your Rt I am.
post #35 of 45 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 5:37 pm

Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to meeting you all at the treffen or before.
post #36 of 45 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 3:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveywright
Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to meeting you all at the treffen or before.
Hi, and welcome to the Forum. You have a couple of LT's not far from you. Me in Glos, Cookie, not far in Wales, and not a member of this board, another guy just south of me.

I can feel a tech session coming on. Update your profile with you bike details, just coz we are a nosey bunch

Rgds
Mike

post #37 of 45 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

Before I book the venue for next year are we all happy with the same weekend in July if I can get it booked for that weekend.
post #38 of 45 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 5:59 pm

Definitely!! Sounds really good and it fits in with our school holidays so I will be able to come!
Chris
post #39 of 45 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 6:33 pm

Quote:
Before I book the venue for next year are we all happy with the same weekend in July if I can get it booked for that weekend.
I'll be there, but 3 nights this time.

Rgds
Mike

post #40 of 45 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 6:52 pm

July is fine for me also put me down for 3 nights aswell looks a nice area to stay in better than camping anyday.
post #41 of 45 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 7:45 am

We'll be there for all three days.

Keith

post #42 of 45 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 4:40 am

Wir kommen natürlich auch !

We are of course!

Monique und
Hartmut der Smutje

post #43 of 45 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 2:08 pm Thread Starter

Started new thread now as its all booked.
post #44 of 45 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Hi Phil we are hoping to come, July is fine with us for two nights
Cheers
Bren
post #45 of 45 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 5:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smutje
Wir kommen natürlich auch !

We are of course!

Monique und
Hartmut der Smutje
Wunderbar!

Rgds
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in