Impulse Buy - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

Impulse Buy

At the ripe old age of 69 I have just purchased a 2002 K1200LT with a mileage of 14200.
I am selling a Laverda 3C as I wanted something smaller !!!!
I saw the BM on Ebay and it was very near me and when I saw it I had to buy it.
I hope to pick it up this Saturday, I am not particularly big and any tips on what to do on my first ride would be helpfull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 4:38 pm

Re: Impulse Buy

Well, we can empathize...

Welcome.. misery loves company.. hahaha.. welcome to the asylum!

Bike doesn't have many miles.. but a couple things need attention... if tires over 3 years.. replace.. if battery over a year.. replace it... have brakes flushed... etc...

We'll do our best to help you survive... =)

Welcome aboard!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 4:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ron,
Lots of sage advice in the Hall of Wisdom
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...hall_of_wisdom

Especially read from the misc. section the slow speed issues . . .

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...ow_faq_mistips

Here's another good section.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...0lt_faq_common

You are going to enjoy your new ride & new friends!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #4 of 18 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 4:47 pm

Ron, You bought bought best year! Key to this bike is to think about what you are going to do at very slow speeds and look ahead. Don't turn the wheel ( in the beginning) as you come to a stop as the forks won't absorb your momentum. Search "slow" in reference to this bike and you'll find numerous hints.

Tons of great information on this forum, and welcome!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 18 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 5:33 pm

Welcome to the nut hatch,

If you read through some of the wise words here about slow speed handeling, then I'm sure you will enjoy the beast.

If you find yourself in the Gloucester area, drop in for a cuppa.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #6 of 18 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 4:08 am

If you are a little short in the leg department, put the seat in the lower position, at least until you are more confident at stopping. If you find that uncomfortable on long runs, you can always raise it again.

Welcome

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #7 of 18 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 5:58 am

Welcome and best wishes for lots of safe and fun riding on your new toy.

Kevin.
post #8 of 18 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 6:54 am

Welcome indeed! The LT is a great bike but, as has been said, can be a real handful as you come to rest. Think about where you're going to put your feet down, keep the bike upright and in a straight line and you should be fine.

Are you able to join us at this year's LT Treffen at Saltburn by the Sea next month? It's great value for money and there are a few places left.

Keith

UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #9 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2010, 12:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronslaverda
At the ripe old age of 69 I have just purchased a 2002 K1200LT with a mileage of 14200.
I am selling a Laverda 3C as I wanted something smaller !!!!
I saw the BM on Ebay and it was very near me and when I saw it I had to buy it.
I hope to pick it up this Saturday, I am not particularly big and any tips on what to do on my first ride would be helpfull.
Thanks to all that replied.
Drove the Bike home today, didnt drop it ! everything seems to work.
The screen seems to be a bit cloudy and there are a few noises which seem to be panel vibration possibly ? no strange engine noises.
The black rubber each side of the rear speakers seems to have perished a bit no tears or holes just a perished look.
Now I just have to find time to clean it and ride it.
Anyone got suggestions about screen?
post #10 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2010, 1:01 pm

Cloudy screens aren't that uncommon. Do a search on here and there are suggestions on how to treat it.

Keith

post #11 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2010, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

Hi Keith,
I have to do a proper check over of the bike before I take on any long runs yet but if all is ok then I might take you up on your invite.
I have to do something about the screen to as the view through it is not very good.
The ride home was interesting if a little nerve racking as I live in Epsom and it is Derby day there was a lot of traffic and it is also very hot here today which didnt help.
Regards Ron
post #12 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2010, 1:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdoc
Welcome indeed! The LT is a great bike but, as has been said, can be a real handful as you come to rest. Think about where you're going to put your feet down, keep the bike upright and in a straight line and you should be fine.

Are you able to join us at this year's LT Treffen at Saltburn by the Sea next month? It's great value for money and there are a few places left.

Keith
Hi Keith,
Still not got the hang of using the website so you might get two replies!
I have got to check the bike over properly before any long runs and I also have to do something about the screen which seems to be a bit cloudy.
If all is well then I might take you up on your invite.
Regards Ron
post #13 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2010, 1:21 pm

I did get two replies. Just click on Reply or Quote (preferably the former for my two penn'orth) and you'll be fine.

There's a wealth of information on here that should get you and your LT on the road in tip-top condition. It's possible to do your own maintenance if you're that way inclined - I'm not - but please ask anything. Somebody, somewhere will have had the same problem - and the natives are friendly.

I do hope we'll see you at Saltburn. With the LT being such an unusual bike, it was something else to see 13 on the sea-front at Aberystwyth last year. I'm hoping we'll get even more this time. Here they are at the Elan Valley Visitor Centre earlier in the day.

Keith

post #14 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2010, 1:21 pm

There's several threads here about using alcohol to take the fog off your windshield. Check first, cause I can't remember which one. Also, mine was a little fuzzy and several people suggested using Plastic-X or Plexus.
I used Plastic-X and it cleared it right up. Plexus is even used on military aircraft and highly recommended, but I haven't found any of here locally.
Oh, and welcome aboard.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #15 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2010, 4:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
There's several threads here about using alcohol to take the fog off your windshield. Check first, cause I can't remember which one. Also, mine was a little fuzzy and several people suggested using Plastic-X or Plexus.
I used Plastic-X and it cleared it right up. Plexus is even used on military aircraft and highly recommended, but I haven't found any of here locally.
Oh, and welcome aboard.
Hi Thanks for the tip will see if I can get some in the uk.
Regards Ron
post #16 of 18 Old Jun 12th, 2010, 2:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronslaverda
Hi Thanks for the tip will see if I can get some in the uk.
Regards Ron
Hi Ron, Welcome,
If your still looking for a link to Plexus; Plexus
I found it to be fantastic on my screen,
Hope you can make the Treffen in saltburn next month, you'll pick up a lot of info on the LT,
There are others travelling up from from the south, you could join them?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #17 of 18 Old Jun 16th, 2010, 12:46 pm

Hi Carl Hi All
I just saw that the dont send it of the island, may be it is not waterproof LOL .
MY Windshield is also a bit cloudy. So i ask you to buy one bottle for me and you get the 15 Island euros
from me in Saltburn..
Rgds Oorty

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/QUOTE]
post #18 of 18 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 7:01 am

The usual advice is not to use booths at the airport or at tourist traps as their rates are generally higher but other than getting an idea of the exchange rate before you go I'm not sure. I can use my debit and credit cards to get money abroad from ATMs but they carry a transaction charge that tends to mean it's not worth it unless you need a real wad of cash.

Keith

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in