Certificate of conformity - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 5:38 am Thread Starter

Certificate of conformity

If someone from the UK wanted to register a bike in europe (say Germany) would they need a "certificate of conformity" and if so, where are they available?
Thanks
Simon

2006 k1200LT........my 13th!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 6:44 am

Re: Certificate of conformity

Yes you would need that certificate in order to register your vehicle in the country you live in. Normally, the vehicle's manufacturer (i.e. BMW) should provide you with said certificate for a fee (anywhere from free to 300 euro).
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 6:52 am

Been looking onto this myself as well

It will depend on the following:
Where you are perminantly living (UK/Germany etc.)
Where you are going to insure your bike
The age of the bike
If there even is a CoC available

If you live in the UK and want to insure from a UK insurance, you only have 90 days insurance (usually) for travel abroard. You can obtain green card insurance from ADAC for limited periods - up to 6 months I think. It's expensive and I'd advise you to confirm that it provides adequate cover before relying on it, but it might meet your needs.

If you want to live in Germany, the bike must be insured there (and registered there) and you will need a TuV cert. I have been told by a mate who has done this that getting this via a CoC is OK but without is too expensive to make it worthwhile - he ended up selling his bike and buying new. Getting a CoC on a 3 year old bike is easier than a ten year old one (get them from the bike manufacturer). If you have modified it, you may have more problems. You will have to change the headlight for it to pass the tests whatever. book the the TüV, get the paperwork and take it to the local zullassungsstelle, along with V5, passport, your address registration and get the German plates. Insure

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 1:23 pm Thread Starter

BMW told me they don't supply a CofC for pre 2003 bikes!

2006 k1200LT........my 13th!
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 24th, 2010, 3:57 am

Its been four years, so my memory is hazy, but...

I got a COC for mt 03RT when I moved to Holland. It didnt appear to be needed there- just the V5 had to be exchanged. Im not sure about Germany. In either case, the bike should have to be inspected (like the MOT) before its allowed to be registered. You'll need to change the headlamp... You may also have to be registered first as living in the country, then hold a local bank account and be registered locally for tax so their system can keep track of you.

The German TUV site may be a good place to begin looking for import info. Alternatively, if you can get 6 months insurance from the UK, just go and sort it out in person...

Good luck with you rmove!

James
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 8:41 am

Garage

I wish I could help you regarding Germany, but I have imported two bikes to Belgium in recent times.

The first was my K100RT which I had bought the year previously. Due to its age The CoC was not available, I had to take it to the Belgian BMW importer, not a dealer but to BMW Belgium itself! I paid 100€ and was presented with a certificate that was the equivalent of a CoC. I was then able to register this with the DVLA equivalent and things were ok.

For Foreign Exchange reasons it was cheaper to buy the 2010 RT in England than in Belgium (3000€ cheaper on list price!) A CoC was provided and we had to try and get it registered. After handling the importing documents, I had to take it to the DVLA equivalent for the stamp and official registration.

A very good place for discussing the procedure is BMW itself. They should be able to give you valuable advice. They were the ones that told me that Belgian officialdom now recognised a European CoC. Previously, I would have had to have paid 100€ to get a local equivalent of the CoC, or sent it in for confirmation - which would take up to 6 months! I would be very suspicious what the authorities tell you. I received conflicting advice, which led us to ask BMW Belgium.

Hope it all goes well with you, it is worth it in the end.

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2020 R 1200GSA Ice Grey (Not yet received)
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey (Used in Part Exchange)
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in