Anyone up for a ride? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 5:54 am Thread Starter

Anyone up for a ride?

Just (at long last) finished the winter bike project. So the ramp is free for the K12 to work on. But after I dropped it it seems to be spluttering a bit. So best give it a quick ride to make sure it is OK. BUT however many times I clear the drive of snow - it keeps filling up again!
Can anyone think of a reason for the bike to be spluttering, that is easy to check for?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 7th, 2010, 3:21 am

Re: Anyone up for a ride?

I could not believe the amount of bikes in London yesterday! Snow, sleet and ice, yet they were still riding. I was following one guy on an R600 who was all over the place, I hope to god he got home ok.
Who in their right mind would ride a bike in the snow, it's just an accident waiting to happen!
If you rode to work and it snowed, would you ride home? I bloody wouldn't. I'd rather walk.
Do I sound like an old fart or is it just common sense?
Simon

2006 k1200LT........my 13th!
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 7th, 2010, 4:48 am Thread Starter

I used to commute from Colchester to the City, never had a car. Only once did I borrow a car (and that was because the bike had a flat). It was lucky I did as the A12 froze after rain before I got home, it was corrugated ice, I followed a biker till he fell off and gave him a lift home.
I have ridden on fresh snow quite a few times, not much of a problem. Ridden on compacted snow - nasty. And sheet ice - VERY scary.
Try the Elefantentreffen rally for reall snow nutters (planning my trip there on a sidecar outfit with 2 other guys and the sidecar heated.)

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 8th, 2010, 4:32 pm

Now here is one guy who did the SS1000 just before the New Year: (The text - only in Finnish, sorry - is on page 2)

http://www.alueviesti.fi/pdf_files/2...70929590.4.pdf

A brief translation:

"Markku Niemelä from Sastamala, Finland rode 1627 km in 23 hrs 58 minutes. The weather was +2 c when he started and turned to -20 C when he was up North and during he return leg the temperature was constatly at -10C. He was the second Finn to ever finish the SS1000 in this kind of weather. He had to ride behind snow plowing trucks and when the cars were doing only 60-70 kph he had to overtake them constantly in order to keep the schedule.
His tires were equipped with rally car studs (actually illegal on street use) but he would have not managed the trip with regular (legal) type of studs.
He told he felt never cold during his trip, he had heated grips and heated boots and three layers of underwear under his MP-Asu Z-One riding gear.
Also one challenge was the dark time of the year, he had only two hours of daylight during his trip.He had no dangerous events en route, although the whole ride as such was was pretty risky business.
Markku rides constantly year round but not this long trips."

This guy earns my respect..

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #5 of 8 Old Jan 9th, 2010, 4:49 am Thread Starter

Sounds cool Ari
THIS shows what you can do in snow with the right tires

post #6 of 8 Old Jan 9th, 2010, 6:46 am

If you Google "crazy brits" you get 13.200 hits, with "crazy finns" 42.300.

Says it all !.
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 9th, 2010, 8:15 pm Thread Starter

Says they need to try harder!
Being crazy is just the poor mans eccentric.
Google search eccentric Brits - 2,480,000
Google search eccentric Finns 61,600
Still better than the Ozzy - Google search shows a result of only 27,800 Ozzy eccentric, but no surprise with just plain Ozzy mad at 1,010,000
(P.S. don't try Stupid American if you lack a sense of humor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
If you Google "crazy brits" you get 13.200 hits, with "crazy finns" 42.300.

Says it all !.

Last edited by c00k1e; Jan 9th, 2010 at 8:24 pm.
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 12th, 2010, 2:58 pm

Hi!

I`dont get it how these guys take the bike when there is snow! I would not even think about it, and LT weighs a lot when summer... But maybe with a 800GS would it be nice to prove..

Jukka

rides 1200GS -07 (LT -01 sold 22th june 2010)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in