K1200LT advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

K1200LT advice

I'm an aspiring K1200LT owner. Currently using an 89 K100LT but hoping to upgrade for next summer.
Love the look and luxury of the 1200 but curious about real world use in the UK and, particulary, Ireland. I can see the logic in the States but how does the concept work here?
I use my present bike all year round, except for snow or ice. I'm not that keen!
I enjoy just getting up and driving for two or three hundred miles for fun. Have done the Highlands on the K100 and fancy a trip to Europe in the future. You don't know how lucky you are on the mainland UK are. Its a major trip just to get to France from N Ireland and costly.
I'm also short in the leg (29") and do struggle with the K100 occasionally, although I have sat on the 1200 and the seat height seems to be lower.
Any advice from any former K100 owners or other shortarses?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 7:37 pm

Re: K1200LT advice

Hi ya
Not ridden in Ireland yet, but my legs are shortish.
Touching the floor on a K12 is more about balance than flat footed strength. Once it is past a certain point, you cant stop it, so keeping it balanced with toes is the aim.
Once it is over 5mph - the weight becomes your best friend, it is so stable and is a breeze in corners.
I commuted on the K12 for years before working from home. It does motorways of course, but you would be surprised at how nippy it is when you get the revs up. The forst time I saw a K1200lt was when I was commuting into london on my other bike (ST1100) and these 2 guys slipped past and through real conjested traffic - they looked so cool
If you look at the vids in my signiture you will see that hairpins and alpine mountains are all possible as well!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 3:15 am

Been riding here in Ireland on the K1200lt for the past 5 years. I also have a 29 inch seam.
No problems whatsoever. Tried all the other bikes and wont change the LT for any of them.

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 4:40 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys. It helps to hear how someone else similar size and on similar roads manages the K1200.
Know what you mean about the balance. The K100LT is the same past a certain point but fine on the move. I am guessing that the K1200 has a slightly lower centre of gravity, even though its a good bit heavier, as I can get both feet flat on the ground.
Was looking at the photos of your rally in Wales. Funny how they don't look as big after a while.
I think that I need to try and blag a test ride from a dealer. Not easy, as there aren't many around in NI. Ah, the price of exclusivity.
I am expecting to have to go across the shuck (travel to mainland UK) to get the right bike.
Was looking at your clip and a few others about K1200LT's on 'you tube', Cookie. I see what you mean about throwing them about. They looked like they were going fast enough for me anyway!
Just need to get the readies now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in