Germany Motorcycle Storage - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 8:37 am Thread Starter

Germany Motorcycle Storage

This is a survey of sorts, and I believe this is the right place to put this thread. But if it is not, please advise.

I am a retired US Army Officer living and working in Northern Bavaria, some of you who where in the US Army or other services may have been to Grafenwohr Training Area before. Last year, upon my decision to buy a house and stay here, I purchased a Hof(German for Farm) here in Bavaria. With my Hof, came 1 large house, a 4 car garage, and 3 massive barns and the land. Recently, I began storing a couple of bikes(1 Harley and 1 BMW) for buddies of mine deploying down range to Afghan or Iraq. I had cleaned out my big barn and after a ride this spring, my buddy with the Harley was over after a ride, and he asked, "what would you charge for storing my bike-I dont trust my wife to take care of it".
So I thought about it, came up with a price and within the week, another friend asked the same. Last week I got an email from a K1200 forum member looking to buy my K1200(which was sold) then he asked about buying a bike here in Germany and shipping back. We went back and forth and I mentioned storing a couple of bikes for friends here. So then he came back and said "what if I where to buy a bike and keep it in Europe with you, then I could come anytime I want to ride".
So we talked more, and now I am looking into getting a proper storage contract in place, insurance, Battery Tenders, covers etc, and even buying a GS and an RT for rentals.
Then he asked if I was willing to pick him up at the airport if he paid me too, so we came to an agreement on a fair price(about 1/2 of what a taxi costs) to pick him up, get him oriented, help him register the bike locally, get his TUV inspection done, and help program all the fun rides and places in the GPS he has and even stay at my house for a couple of days(It is a really big old farm house).
At first I was just offering to do it for free, but he is a business man, and said "Jack, you can offer a great service for an awesome price, you live and work there, know all the inside stuff, you need to charge for you services, as they are very unique and are much more friendly than your typical tour operator, much less, the uncertainty of coming on your own and renting and learning all the painful lessons of traveling Europe".
So my poll is this,

Is there anyone out there interested in storing bikes, whether they ship a bike over for semi permenent or permenent storage, or purchasing here and storing for future trips?
I have a very large, weather tight Dairy barn, a great location near both the Nuremberg or Munich airports, it is safe, clean, and well cared for.

I guess this might be a way for me to fulfill my dream of completely retiring(for the second time) and leading affordable tours, and hunting when I want to if I could get enough bikes in storage.

I have a German Lawyer as a riding partner, he is translating a couple of US storage contracts, and insurance policies and comparing them to German ones, and shoreing up that end for me.

I would buy more 4 station Battery Tenders as needed, offer covers for sale if needed, set up a website, etc etc.

My goal is to provide a service at a reasonable price to fellow riders, and a nice second income for me, with not that much expenditure of effort(ie not backbreaking work--I already did 21 years in the Infantry).

So please, provide some feedback, what you guys think, etc.

I have many websites for bikes for sale here in Germany, and would also offer a service to help in the purchase, paperwork and inspection process here; all at a very reasonable rate.

Thanks,
JackinBavaria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 28th, 2009, 6:39 pm

Re: Germany Motorcycle Storage

Hey Jack!

It sounds like a dream retirement job. I want to take my GSA to Europe some time next year, store it and then every three months come and ride for a couple of weeks. This sounds ideal. I will e-mail you when my plans are a little more solid. Ron
post #3 of 13 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 8:43 pm

Sounds like a good idea, Jack.

When I moved from Heidelberg to Mississippi I left one of my bikes (a European-spec R1100RT) with a friend of mine there and the following summer (when it was too hot to ride in MS) I came back to Europe and spent a couple of months touring.

In a couple of years time (when my wife retires - again) we will spend the summer in Europe and the winter in Florida. I will keep the R1100 (it's getting 'long in the tooth', but there's still a few years life left in it) over here - either at my house in Oberau, at a friend's garage in Mittenwald or at my son's house in the UK.

For ronk1200lt: It might be cheaper (and far easier) to sell your bike in the US, buy a bike in Germany and store it with Jack. If Jack can arrange TÜV (vehicle inspection) and maintenance for you, the bike would be ready to go whenever you wanted it. I don't know how much it would cost you to ship a bike, or whether you would encounter difficulty in registering a non-EU spec bike here - worth looking into, perhaps.

Manuel

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 4th, 2009, 7:24 pm

What a great idea. And not just for the Americans. I have had enough of riding for 4 days before getting to somewhere I have not been to before. If my bike was with you, I could fly out and spend 2 weeks going east, see far more.
Keep me in the loop, and I will try to work out the legality of keeping a UK bike in Germany.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 4:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
What a great idea. And not just for the Americans. I have had enough of riding for 4 days before getting to somewhere I have not been to before. If my bike was with you, I could fly out and spend 2 weeks going east, see far more.
Keep me in the loop, and I will try to work out the legality of keeping a UK bike in Germany.
That's a tricky question! As I understand the law, if you move to Germany (live here) you are obliged to re-register any motor vehicle you bring into the country within 6 months of arrival.

If you don't have an address in Germany, I wonder how you would go about registering a bike here? Perhaps you could use the storage address? - But I wonder whether the authorities would want to see your Anmeldungsschein?

You might get away with keeping a British-Registered bike in Germany for a year or two, but if you use it fairly frequently, then sooner or later somebody is going to ask where the bike is kept when you're not here and I wouldn't be at all surprised if you were required to re-register it. - I have a friend who kept a Channel-Island registered car in Cherbourg. He got away with that for a couple of years, but eventually the local plods told him: "We don't mind you keeping a car here, and we appreciate that the car is only used on your (fairly frequent) visits, but it's time you re-registered it with local plates."

When I left Germany in Jan 07 (and left my R1100 with my friend) it had British plates. I'd brought it with me to Germany in 2004 and I'd used it for a few months, after which it spent most of its time in my garage - in storage. It wasn't being used on the road and I don't suppose there would have been any problem with me 'storing' my bike with non-German plates (or with no plates at all) at my own or at my friend's house. When I came back that summer, I took the bike touring (on its UK plates) then re-registered it when it (and I) left.

(I had cancelled the British Registration, couldn't register it in Germany - I didn't have an address here and anyway, I was only staying for a couple of months. I was probably 'taking a chance'- had I been pulled over, then although I did have a Registration document a bit of research would've shown that the document had been cancelled.)

When I came back here in 2008, I went to England and collected the bike from my son. I kept it in my garage here (and used it on the road) on the plates it had at that time. - I hadn't cancelled the registration.) I laid the bike up for the winter (still on its foreign plates), but when I wanted to put it on the road again this Spring, I re-registered it locally.

Even if you don't come under pressure to re-register the bike, there's another potential problem: Insurance.

British insurers are quite happy to cover a bike you take to Germany as a tourist, but you may have problems getting (or maintaining) cover for a bike which stays here for more than 3 months or so. - Even if you don't stay here with it.

(standard disclaimer): "This is not intended as legal advice; you should not rely on it until you have confirmed your interpretation through consultation with a professional legal advisor."

Manuel
post #6 of 13 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 3:58 am

Thanks for the info.
Thinking about it, I like to strip the bike down every winter, so maybe it could be left at the end of the 1st trip of the year and brought back to the UK at the end of the last trip.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old Jun 30th, 2013, 8:30 am

Jack: I think it is a great idea. I am planning to buy a GS in Europe and use it for touring. My plan is to buy the bike in London and move it to Germany. I am seeking advice on whether that is a bad idea. Perhaps it is better to buy in Germany. I would be interested in the websites you mentioned that had access to bike for sale. Any ideas about how to reduce the risk of buying a bike sight unseen? Russ Deane
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 1st, 2013, 4:56 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by russdeane
Jack: I think it is a great idea. I am planning to buy a GS in Europe and use it for touring. My plan is to buy the bike in London and move it to Germany. I am seeking advice on whether that is a bad idea. Perhaps it is better to buy in Germany. I would be interested in the websites you mentioned that had access to bike for sale. Any ideas about how to reduce the risk of buying a bike sight unseen? Russ Deane
If you are going to move a bike from the UK to Germany (and register it there) then you need to be aware that registering should be VAT free if it is older than 6 months and has done more than 6000 miles. If these conditions are not met then you will need to pay VAT at the local rate. (As this is the same for Belgium & Netherlands I would imagine it is a European thing!)

The main trouble about having a UK registered vehicle abroad is the lack of insurance. UK insurance companies only allow about 30 days abroad, and you cannot get insurance locally if it is not registered there. I had this problem when I first arrived in Belgium. I needed to register the bike, but to do that I needed to be registered! It was a close thing, but we managed to get the bike registered within the 30 days deadline.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #9 of 13 Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 3:38 pm

And don't forgot headlamp design issue. In UK they still are driving on the wrong side of the road

R1200RT
Alfa Romeo 159 SW
Volvo XC70 II
post #10 of 13 Old Jul 4th, 2013, 3:26 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niksons
... In UK they still are driving on the wrong side of the road
I disagree, the UK drives on the "correct" side of the road, we drive on the "Right"side of the road! My left handed wife thinks driving on the left is better than on the right. For me I think being on the right is better to acknowledge the other bikers!

You are correct about the lamp directions, and depending on the type of bike, it can be very expensive. When I bought my R12RT from the UK (Due to exchange variations I saved over 2000 Euro.) they threw in the conversion for free. When I brought my K100RT over, it was a simple matter of changing the lens, which was not too expensive.

As with all things find a scout! (Be prepared!)

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #11 of 13 Old May 20th, 2017, 6:07 am

Hi jack, is busines of storage bmw motorcycle still on? Please contact me, i need some help here? ?
post #12 of 13 Old Jan 18th, 2018, 8:21 am

post #13 of 13 Old Jan 18th, 2018, 8:22 am

15!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in