Ireland in Nov. 1 - Feb. 14 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 19th, 2009, 3:37 pm Thread Starter

Ireland in Nov. 1 - Feb. 14

I could us some help from the people around Adare. I found a good deal on air, hotel and air fare for 6 nights in Adare Manor.

My question is how is the weather at that time of year? If not when would be the best time?
Is there decent (cheap) places to eat, all my cash goes to to the LT.

We would like to see as much as we can in those 6 days. Knowing very little about the country but we are trying to learn, is Adare Manor located in a good spot for day trips?

Any help would be great and add to our trip. If we do this it would be a suprise 30th anniversary gift for my wife.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 19th, 2009, 4:32 pm

Re: Ireland in Nov. 1 - Feb. 14

May be helpful for the weather..
click hear
post #3 of 13 Old May 19th, 2009, 4:52 pm

Steve

Looks like a nice place. I am sure Mark Maloney will be able to give you more info. At that time of year I would not expect a lot of sunshine - there is a reason it is the Emerald Isle. The train is a good way to get around and you could do day trips to Cork and Dublin. There wil be rugby matches on at that time of year.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased

post #4 of 13 Old May 19th, 2009, 6:01 pm Thread Starter

THANKS!!

A little cool is OK but I am hoping we would not get soaked. The weather link was a big help and I had not thought of the train.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old May 19th, 2009, 7:09 pm

hi steve,
Great to see you chose a beautiful place to stay, very centrally located for touring the south and west coast of Ireland, a car or m/cycle is a must as i presume you will be flying into Shannon airport which is 40 minutes away from Adare. Weather in early November can be pleasant, generally a little colder and is more favorable than February which can be wet, windy and bitterly cold.
Food is expensive but quiet reasonable places can be found, mid day meals and pub grub
Places to see I would suggest:-
Kerry. The Ring of Kerry, Killarney, Kenmare, Killorglin [Famous Puck Fair], Dingle and Tralee [home of the rose of Tralee]. etc
Cork. The Ring of Beara, Glengarriff and Bantry etc
Clare. The Cliff of Moher, Lisdoonvarna, Lahinch, The Burren etc..
Galway. Galway City and Connemara etc.
Mayo, Sligo and Donegal.

I like near Cork City and I think touring the south west of Ireland would be achievable and be in your time frame.[Cork, Kerry and Clare]
Hopefully this may answer some of your questions/queries and a nice way to spend you 30 year anniversary.

Slán

Dan.
post #6 of 13 Old May 20th, 2009, 2:43 am

We liked the city of Cork very much and it's well worth at least half a day exploring on foot. Look out for ship's bollards sticking out of the sidewalk in some parts - they're old docks that have been converted to wide streets. If you're going to that neck of the woods you shouldn't miss Blarney, which is just outside Cork, but make sure you get there as early as you can so that you can explore the castle and grounds before the tourist coaches arrive.

The area around Killarney is very nice but, when we were there in the mid-nineties, the road surfaces were not very good away from the main roads. Killarney itself isn't bad but we found the pestering of the horse & carriage drivers tiresome. I doubt if they'll be there in the same numbers in November, though.

Keith

UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #7 of 13 Old May 20th, 2009, 9:14 am Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, The deal sounds too good to pass up.

post #8 of 13 Old May 21st, 2009, 4:16 am

Good part of Ireland to be based. Close to my favourite parts, the South and West coasts. Adare manor has a very good name. Hire a car, reasonable cheap by European standards to ensure the best flexabiity. Some wonderful spots off the beaten track. Previous mails state the obvious like visiting Cork and Kerry but dont forget county Clare, my favourite bit.
Go for it. We always here if you need more advice or help.
Mark
post #9 of 13 Old May 21st, 2009, 4:18 am

Ooops, apologies to champagnecharley, he did in fact mention Clare.

Mark
post #10 of 13 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 12:14 pm

Speaking of Clare, don't miss a Banquet in Bunratty Castle.
post #11 of 13 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 1:22 pm

sounds like an awesome trip..like to see some pics too..
post #12 of 13 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 1:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_Rider
I found a good deal on air, hotel and air fare for 6 nights in Adare Manor.
Mind sharing the costs and where you found the good deal?

Greg and Melanie

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
post #13 of 13 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 8:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Steve,
If you get to Cork be sure and also visit Kobh which was the last port of call for the Titanic. There are great walking tours of this seaport and it's very enjoyable.

Also, even if crystal isn't your bag, do visit the Waterford factory. You walk though the plant and actually see grinding & polishing of crystal by hand with just some lines to guide the artisans.

Also visit the Midleton Distillery near Cork. If you have a designated driver, you get to sample a number of spirits!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in