Fitting spotlights to an LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 7th, 2014, 9:36 am Thread Starter

Fitting spotlights to an LT?

Just wondered if it was possible to fit some spotlights onto my 2004 facelift LT. I have had a look around the frontal area of my bike and can't see where you would attach them. I don't have any crashbars either.

If you have fitted some to your bike, where did you fit them and what type of brackets did you use?

Cheers,

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 7th, 2014, 10:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Fitting spotlights to an LT?

What does a facelift LT look like, and what do you mean it has no crashbars??

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 7th, 2014, 11:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
What does a facelift LT look like, and what do you mean it has no crashbars??

It was what they called them in the UK and they had an electric centre stand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	520.8 KB
ID:	66753  

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 9th, 2014, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

Okay,

I'll ask the question again in a different way.

Has anyone fitted spotlights to their LT's? If so, where did you position them and what type of brackets did you use, and where did you put the switch?

Thank you,

Phil
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 9th, 2014, 2:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Your '04 "face lifted" LT looks like a '05 and later US version (like my '07). In relation to auxiliary lights, I mounted PIAAs in front of the radiators. Others have mounted a variety of lights under the rearview mirrors, either side of the front forks, or near the tip-over bars. The type of light chosen will often pretty much dictate where you can mount them.

In relation to switching, I used an AS-7 Autoswitch, which allows you to use the turn signal cancel switch to control the PIAAs, by holding the cancel switch a couple of seconds. It's a clean installation and works well, instead of trying to mount the aftermarket switch in some conspicuous space that may look tacky. The PIAAs and AS-7 installation includes a handlebar mounted LED to indicate if the lights are off or on. Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS7 Switch.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	678.3 KB
ID:	66881   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS7 LED Placement.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	66905  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Instruction Manual.pdf (1.49 MB, 342 views)

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 11th, 2014, 9:57 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
Your '04 "face lifted" LT looks like a '05 and later US version (like my '07). In relation to auxiliary lights, I mounted PIAAs in front of the radiators. Others have mounted a variety of lights under the rearview mirrors, either side of the front forks, or near the tip-over bars. The type of light chosen will often pretty much dictate where you can mount them.

In relation to switching, I used an AS-7 Autoswitch, which allows you to use the turn signal cancel switch to control the PIAAs, by holding the cancel switch a couple of seconds. It's a clean installation and works well, instead of trying to mount the aftermarket switch in some conspicuous space that may look tacky. The PIAAs and AS-7 installation includes a handlebar mounted LED to indicate if the lights are off or on. Hope this helps!
That is really useful and info and just what I was looking for. Thank you very much.
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 11th, 2014, 9:16 pm
cws

Garage

also look for threads on motolights... mount off the caliper. Expensive but a great addition.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 8 Old Nov 11th, 2014, 3:56 pm

+1 on the Motolights. Had them on my previous LT,haven't got around to fitting them to my current LT yet. Another winter project!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in