BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

New Front Tyre - 6K Service

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  trygve 
#1 ·
...just before my 5 country weekend away, I managed to book my 2006 LT in for it's 6000 mile service (at 6851 miles) there was a cancelation today, so I rode up to the dealer this morning. The loaner bike I got was an F800S - smaller than a Bantam (BSA) - arse up, head down, bundle of fun, brilliant handling, toooo much vibration from it's Rotax twin engine. Got a phone call from the dealer, early lunch time, 'you need a new front tyre' - I've normally had at least two rear tyres for every front (hence, I'd always check the rear for wear, but just check the pressure on the front without properly staring at it) - according to the dealer, the only bike that regularly wears out the front first is the LT - anyone else had a similar experience?

#2 ·
Same Story

Had the exact same experience with my 6K. Dealer said the shallow parts of the feathering on the front Bridgestone were below minimum and required replacement. He recommended the Metzler 880 and I followed the advice. I'll see how it works out. Was your tire feathered or evenly worn out? What brand/model was it?

#4 ·
dglenn1 said:
Was your tire feathered or evenly worn out? What brand/model was it?
Slight feathering, but generally evenly worn, with minimal 'chicken strips' :eek: . The tyre was, and replaced with a Bridgestone B20 - noted for good wet & dry grip, but lousy mileage.

#5 ·
Just had my 6000 mile service and had to have the front replaced. Fitted the same tyre as standard - Bridgestone BT020 - which is what North Oxford Garage recommended.

Rear was replaced at the same time as, although still legal for probably another 1000 miles or so, it had squared off noticeably and, as I am off on holiday on the LT next week and will probably be doing about 2500+ miles around France, I didn't want to have to replace the tyre whilst I was away.

I am amazed at how quickly the front wore out. I have generally been kind to tyres in the past but this one was absolutely shot. It is also the first time in 25 years riding that I have worn out a front tyre before the rear.

Oh well I suppose that is the price to pay for riding a bike as good as the LT...

#8 ·
I have exactly the same experience with wearing out the front tire first.
Generally my front is finished at 8000 km, rear 8500-9000. Metzeler Marathon front and rear. Front tires wear down on both sides more than in the middle, rear tires have more even wear. Drive pattern: narrow winding roads, medium sporty touring, NEVER touched a motorway/freeway.

#9 ·
Hello Trygve,

Do you find the LT a bit big for Korea? I've never ridden one there, but I do have a 250cc Hyosung Mirage over there. It's fun for short trips, but I can't imagine putting any long miles on it. Navigation is also quite interesting over there. :)

#10 ·
GJH said:
I am amazed at how quickly the front wore out.

Tyre pressures!

Has everyone forgotten?

42 front 48 rear.

My front, a ME880, has 13,765 miles as I write, and the rear (BT020) some 6,200 miles.

BT020 front last me between 8,600 to 11,000 miles, ME880 front last normally about 15,000 miles.

BT020 and ME880 rear run to about 9,500 miles

All on 42 front and 48 rear...

Niall
PS I'm not a lightweight (112kg), and I carry a man portable laptop around as well!

#11 ·
Hello Ken
Not really. The LT is big and heavy, but has good handling and balance (and after having ridden BMWs for the last 25 years or so, I am used to big and heavy bikes.)
And it is extremely comfortable.
Grounding clearance could be better, especially when "touring" the superb mountain roads of Jiri-san (if you are in Korea, try road 861 from Gurye to Daejeong!), but I expect that to improve after I have installed my just-ordered Wilbers shocks. LTs are actually quite popular here in the Southern parts (I live in Geoje Island), as are BMWs generally (relatively speaking, of course. Big bikes are NOT a big thing in Korea yet!).

Navigation is, as you say, interesting. But road signs are now for the most part also in English, and the bigger cities are quite easy to drive in. I find it easier to drive in Busan than in Oslo! I use an Inavi navigation system which is functioning very well, generally updated through the internet 4-6 times a year with new roads and SW.

Trygve
K1200LT 2003 (Korea)
R1100RT 1996 (Norway)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.