K1200LT Foot Peg Changes -- Rider & Passenger - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 9:46 am Thread Starter

K1200LT Foot Peg Changes -- Rider & Passenger

Some follow-up questions to a thread posted last week on this topic.

I'm looking to increase my comfort and my wife's on the LT. For me, one of the things I want to do is lower my foot pegs; for my wife, this means raising hers. I'm looking at Suburban Machinery's and Ilium Works' products for rider and passenger. My questions:

Rider: If I install Suburban's "footpeg relocation kit" ($140), won't this affect the dynamics/usage of the shift lever and the foot brake? (i.e., moving the feet forward and down 1.75" has got to make working with the foot controls different... right?) Some have suggested installing Ilium Work's brake lever and shift extension. Any experience with these products?

Passenger: BMW makes a passenger footboard with 50mm of adjustability (approx. 2" IIRC), for $495. Ilium Works has a passenger riser with 2" - 4.75" of adjustability above stock when used with the stock passenger foot pegs, for $168. When combined with their passenger footboards you get 1/2" - 3.25" of adjustability above stock; this combo is still almost $100 less than BMW's. Any experience with either/both of these products?

Installation of these is so simple even I can do it, but I'm looking for first-hand experience, advice, tips, etc.

TIA.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:58 am

Howard:

I installed the driver's lowering pegs as soon as I could after buying the LT. IMHO it is MUCH more comfortable and I did not have any problems getting used to the "new" location of the brake and shift levers.

Hope this helps

Chick

Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #3 of 26 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 1:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick
... I did not have any problems getting used to the "new" location of the brake and shift levers. Hope this helps
It does, thanks.

I'm pleasantly surprised by your answer. My thinking with this question is: If the left foot is moved forward and down 1.75", won't that affect how your toe fits under the shifter? Maybe it's a function of the boots you wear...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

post #4 of 26 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 2:40 pm

You can slide your foot a little forward & let the shifter hit higher on your foot. Also it's very easy to adjust the shift linkage to lower the lever.
post #5 of 26 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 3:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
You can slide your foot a little forward & let the shifter hit higher on your foot. Also it's very easy to adjust the shift linkage to lower the lever.
Good to know, thanks.

Sounds like I'll order the foot peg lowering kit from Suburban, give it a try (might take until Spring, at the rate we are going in Ohio recently), and only then order the Ilium Works pieces if neceesary.

Thanks.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #6 of 26 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 3:24 pm

I too have the suburban machinery pegs. I found that the shift lever worked OK after installing the lower pegs. I did adjust the brake lever because it felt too high. Only took a few minutes to make the adjustment. I had about 15K on the bike before installing the lower pegs and it took a little while to adjust to them though I would trade them now.

My 2 cents.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #7 of 26 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 3:25 pm

I should have said I WOULDN'T trade them now.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #8 of 26 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 3:42 pm

BMW passenger floor boards

I chose the BMW boards be cause they adjust with a lever simular to a quick release axle on a bicycle instead of an allen wrench because my wife likes them adjusted differently when we do long rides.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #9 of 26 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 4:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
If the left foot is moved forward and down 1.75", won't that affect how your toe fits under the shifter? Maybe it's a function of the boots you wear...
Probably a funtion of my boots. I did not get used to the original position because it was so uncomfortable for me. The new lower setting just felt better with no other adjustment needed.

God bless:

Chick

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #10 of 26 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick
Probably a funtion of my boots. I did not get used to the original position because it was so uncomfortable for me. The new lower setting just felt better with no other adjustment needed. God bless:
Thanks.

You aren't "too far" (in long-distance touring terms) from me. Looks like you are about 2 hours west of Detroit. Next spring if/when I ever take a "real" trip with my LT, my wife and will have to return to the Cabela's store in Dundee, MI. That's about 3h 15m from my place SE of Columbus. Maybe we'll swing by and say "hi". We share some things in common: NRA Life Members, LT owners, and saved by grace.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #11 of 26 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 7:44 am

Hey Howard:

Yep, we are about two hours from Detroit. West and a little south. Give me a call, would love to get together and talk or ride.

Another LTer just a short distance from us.

God bless and Merry Christmas.

Chick

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #12 of 26 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Update -- Pegs Lowered Today

I had the LT at my dealer today for Motolights installation. While there, I had them also install Suburban Machinery's footpeg lowering kit. Just back from the one-hour ride home; here are my $.02 on this product.

I felt the difference immediately -- a more relaxed knee angle. I'll like it even more after I (a) adjust the brake pedal as some have done, and/or (2) install Ilium's extension. My right foot had significant problems finding the brake pedal after the footpegs were moved; they move the foot outboard an inch or more, requiring you to point your toe unnaturally to the left to get back to the brake pedal. Perhaps this sensation will improve over time; I was actually concerned that I wasn't able to get to the brake easily.

I'd do it again; nice product and it accomplishes what I wanted.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #13 of 26 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 4:35 pm

Quote:
I had the LT at my dealer today for Motolights installation. While there, I had them also install Suburban Machinery's footpeg lowering kit. Just back from the one-hour ride home; here are my $.02 on this product.

I felt the difference immediately -- a more relaxed knee angle. I'll like it even more after I (a) adjust the brake pedal as some have done, and/or (2) install Ilium's extension. My right foot had significant problems finding the brake pedal after the footpegs were moved; they move the foot outboard an inch or more, requiring you to point your toe unnaturally to the left to get back to the brake pedal. Perhaps this sensation will improve over time; I was actually concerned that I wasn't able to get to the brake easily.

I'd do it again; nice product and it accomplishes what I wanted.
Hi Howard,
the footpeg lowering kit really makes a difference, doesn't it? I found that the shifter position fitted better with the lowering kit than before.
Regarding the brake pedal, it really went to a harder to reach position, but for me it does not matter as the only time I use it is in hill starts anyway...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #14 of 26 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 4:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Hi Howard,
the footpeg lowering kit really makes a difference, doesn't it? I found that the shifter position fitted better with the lowering kit than before.
Regarding the brake pedal, it really went to a harder to reach position, but for me it does not matter as the only time I use it is in hill starts anyway...
Yes, it makes a big difference and I'm very glad I have it now. But for me the brake pedal is a real and significant problem at this point. I need to get the brake pedal extension from Ilium; it's only $20, I believe.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #15 of 26 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 1:41 am

My passengers have enjoyed the BMW boards, from my wife (5'4") to my 'youngest' son (6'6"), both are comfortable ... of course, haven't tried any other board with greater adjustment(s).

Dave Frederick

Clinton UT
'05 Light Yellow Metallic LT

'05 Monochromatic Mulberry Red Triumph Rocket III

'12 Triple Black R1200GSA
post #16 of 26 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 8:24 am

Quote:
Yes, it makes a big difference and I'm very glad I have it now. But for me the brake pedal is a real and significant problem at this point. I need to get the brake pedal extension from Ilium; it's only $20, I believe.
After I installed the Illum running boards, I could not reach the rear brake pedal and had a very hard time shifting (and I wear size 14). Once I installed the shift extension ($20)

and the extended brake pedal ($90)
all is right with the world again. Now if I could only get rid of the squeel

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #17 of 26 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 8:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygee
After I installed the Illum running boards, I could not reach the rear brake pedal and had a very hard time shifting (and I wear size 14). Once I installed the shift extension ($20)

and the extended brake pedal ($90)
all is right with the world again. Now if I could only get rid of the squeel
That's good info, thanks. I still have the stock BMW footpegs, but they have the Suburban Machinery relocator kit installed. I'd like to install both of these items, above. Questions for you:

Is the shift extension simpler a longer knurled/machined piece of metal than stock? It just brings the shifter farther to the left, correct?

Same thing with the brake extension -- does it push it farther forward and to the right?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #18 of 26 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 9:15 am

Quote:
Questions for you:

Is the shift extension simpler a longer knurled/machined piece of metal than stock? It just brings the shifter farther to the left, correct?

Same thing with the brake extension -- does it push it farther forward and to the right?
Yes and Yes. The shifter extension just slips over the OEM shifter and the brake extension replaces the OEM.

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #19 of 26 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 9:28 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygee
Yes and Yes. The shifter extension just slips over the OEM shifter and the brake extension replaces the OEM.
Perfect. Looks like my next 2 purchases. Thanks.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #20 of 26 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 12:08 pm

Re: K1200LT Foot Peg Changes -- Rider & Passenger

Quote:

I'm looking to increase my comfort and my wife's on the LT. For me, one of the things I want to do is lower my foot pegs; for my wife, this means raising hers. I'm looking at Suburban Machinery's and Ilium Works' products for rider and passenger. My questions:

Rider: If I install Suburban's "footpeg relocation kit" ($140), won't this affect the dynamics/usage of the shift lever and the foot brake? (i.e., moving the feet forward and down 1.75" has got to make working with the foot controls different... right?) Some have suggested installing Ilium Work's brake lever and shift extension. Any experience with these products?

Passenger: BMW makes a passenger footboard with 50mm of adjustability (approx. 2" IIRC), for $495. Ilium Works has a passenger riser with 2" - 4.75" of adjustability above stock when used with the stock passenger foot pegs, for $168. When combined with their passenger footboards you get 1/2" - 3.25" of adjustability above stock; this combo is still almost $100 less than BMW's. Any experience with either/both of these products?

Installation of these is so simple even I can do it, but I'm looking for first-hand experience, advice, tips, etc.

TIA.
I did the BMW stock passenger floorboards shortly after purchase of my 2005 gold K1200LT (my third K1200LT), and Lona's happy with them.

I recently had installed the Suburban Machinery operator footpeg relocation kit, and find that it relieves some of the tightness for me (I'm 52) in the angles of my hips and knees, which is Good. But (not so good) the kit also pushes the pegs away from the bike slightly, which makes mounting the bike a little harder for me. I also found that I was disconnecting the cruise control inadvertently because of the new relative position of the footpeg and right foot brake. This could have had dramatic results in some situations, for other riders. I have adjusted to the brake side, but the shifter side I still have problems with... so I'm going to try the Ilium Works operator floorboards next.
post #21 of 26 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 12:56 pm

Quote:

TIA.
I did the BMW stock passenger floorboards shortly after purchase of my 2005 gold K1200LT (my third K1200LT), and Lona's happy with them.

I recently had installed the Suburban Machinery operator footpeg relocation kit, and find that it relieves some of the tightness for me (I'm 52) in the angles of my hips and knees, which is Good. But (not so good) the kit also pushes the pegs away from the bike slightly, which makes mounting the bike a little harder for me. I also found that I was disconnecting the cruise control inadvertently because of the new relative position of the footpeg and right foot brake. This could have had dramatic results in some situations, for other riders. I have adjusted to the brake side, but the shifter side I still have problems with... so I'm going to try the Ilium Works operator floorboards next.
post #22 of 26 Old Dec 5th, 2008, 5:03 pm

were can I buy the driver lower pegs thanks Manny
post #23 of 26 Old Dec 5th, 2008, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonno
were can I buy the driver lower pegs thanks Manny
They're made here. And you may be able to buy a set on our classified. Every once in awhile, someone will sell a set. Also, check with a coupla of the site vendors who may carry these. Good luck.
post #24 of 26 Old Dec 5th, 2008, 6:27 pm

Thanks for your help.
post #25 of 26 Old Dec 10th, 2009, 6:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_falcon

George, did you install the Ilium floorboards? I'm thinking about them for my R1200RT but haven't been able to find any reviews.

Michael

'05 R1200RT Dark Graphite (5/06)
'03 R1200C Montana Flashtone (sold, 2/06)
post #26 of 26 Old Dec 10th, 2009, 8:42 am

Unhappy Re: K1200LT Foot Peg Changes -- Rider & Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdcruiser
George, did you install the Ilium floorboards? I'm thinking about them for my R1200RT but haven't been able to find any reviews.
No, I rode through Ontario and all 48 contiguous states in 2008 without them. In March 2009, I was hit by a 19 year old kid who jerked his car out of the left lane into mine, the bike went on without me for a while, fell over, and cracked its frame. The insurance payoff paid the loan remaining on the bike, and it's been sitting in my driveway since then on a BMW trickle charger. I start and run it for a few minutes every week just to keep the lubrication in the engine, but I've been out of work for 16 months, so I haven't enough money to get a new frame.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in