BMW Dealers. - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By D.Kinsey
  • 1 Post By Travman
  • 1 Post By RichM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Mar 10th, 2014, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

BMW Dealers.

So I thought I'd take a drive this morning to a BMW dealer about 60 miles away, got all the way there just to pull into the driveway and suddenly realize they are closed.
I hate BMW M/C dealers, they all close on Sundays and Mondays, damn near everyone here in Calif. Don't know about your State.
HD dealers sales are open 7 days a week, HD parts and service open 5 days a week, but not BMW M/C dealers, nooo. I understand them not being open on Sunday but the sales dept. should be open on Monday at least. 120 miles for nothing and its not the first time I've forgotten about their damn stinkin' hours, blame it on me fine. Do BMW car dealerships close on Sunday AND Monday? nope.
Now that I'm thing about it, do tire stores, auto parts or any other motorcycle dealers that you know of? nope, just BMW motorcycle dealers, must be nice. I absolutely hate you BMW dealers.
ps: (but I luv your '14 RT)

Last edited by numnuts; Mar 10th, 2014 at 3:22 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Mar 10th, 2014, 3:10 pm

Re: BMW Dealers.

Its not restricted to the states, I though i'd take a trip to my BMW dealer a few mondays back and exactly the same!

I cant imagine the amount of business they must loose worldwide because of this!

Chris

- Chris
2012 BMW R1200RT Fluid Grey
1900 Yamaha YZF-R6 Virgin Replica
1962 Francis Barnett Cruiser 89
1960 Hagon BSA C15 Grasstrack
1955 BSA DB32 Gold Star Clubman
1932 Velocette GTP 3 Speed
1931 Velocette GTP 3 Speed
post #3 of 12 Old Mar 10th, 2014, 3:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by numnuts View Post
So I thought I'd take a drive this morning to a BMW dealer about 60 miles away, got all the way there just to pull into the driveway and suddenly realize they are closed.
Hey! Now you have an excuse to take another 120 mile ride! Sounds like a win to me!

Don't know about H-D, but all the other local bike dealers around here have always been closed Sun&Mon. I don't think any of them are big enough to support seven day a week staffing, and they need time to ride, too.

Larry
2006 R1200RT

post #4 of 12 Old Mar 10th, 2014, 3:36 pm

Well, if they've made a collective decision to only be open five days a week, I'd rather it be Tue-Sat than Mon-Fri. And it's not just California, I was in Colorado last summer and needed the dealer, same thing, closed Mondays. It may be a BMW dealer thing, or perhaps tradition. I remember in the day of one-man barber shops that they used to be closed Sunday-Monday (my wife's hairdresser still keeps those hours). Heck I remember when most retail of any type was closed on Sunday. And when banks opened at 10:00 and closed at 3:00 except on Fridays, hence "banker's hours".

I'm not sure they're really losing business, just postponing it. I'm hard pressed to see someone buying another make or getting their parts elsewhere just because the BMW dealer is closed on Monday. If you need the brand, you put up with whatever you have to in order to get it.

JayJay

JayJay
'09 R1200 RT
'73 R75/5 Toaster (gone)
'07 Honda Rebel (gone)
Kids (gone - graduated and employed!)
'81 Honda Gold Wing (gone)
'75 Honda CB500 Twin DOHC (gone)
'77 Honda CB750 (gone)
Bride (going strong)
BMWMOA 159659
IBA 63871

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old Mar 10th, 2014, 4:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I think it's regional with some shops. Years ago the dealerships around Denver were open on Sundays and closed only on Monday. The explanation I got was that they had a bunch of off-road business on Sundays. Two things you can't get around here on Monday, motorcycle parts or a haircut.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Mar 10th, 2014, 6:12 pm

The Triumph dealer in Wichita was open on Mondays for some time but I don't think they are now. The big multi brand dealer was open on Mondays year round and open on Sundays in the spring for a couple years but now they are closed Sunday and Monday. The local Harley day is closed Sunday and Monday as are most dealers I pass on trips around the country.
post #7 of 12 Old Mar 10th, 2014, 9:40 pm

Motorcycle shops have been closed Sundays and Mondays since the beginning of time...LOL. Race on Sunday and heal on Monday H-D pretty much started doing the 7 Day thing, guess they saw how much business they were loosing to Walmart....
CaliDefector likes this.

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #8 of 12 Old Mar 11th, 2014, 9:36 am

It's not a local issue to you nor just BMW dealers. Here in GA, 100% of the dealers are closed on Sunday and about 90% are closed on Mondays. The notable exceptions are Cycle Gear is open 7-days so that you can buy Bilt gear, and I believe the Harley dealers are open to buy HD gear.
CaliDefector likes this.

"Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv
2018 Vespa 300
post #9 of 12 Old Mar 17th, 2014, 4:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by numnuts View Post
Do BMW car dealerships close on Sunday AND Monday? nope.
Our dealer is combined with a BMW car and Mini dealership and I think there's no finer dealer in the country.

On Mondays they sell cars and car parts and service and the motorcycle building is closed.

Car parts closes I think at 1 on Saturdays and motorcycle parts is open all day on Saturdays.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #10 of 12 Old Mar 24th, 2014, 9:45 am

Been in your shoes needing something on a Sunday or Monday for sure. Seems like MOST m/c shops of all brands store hours are Tue-Sat for as long as I can remember. A shop open on those days seems to be the exception.

Still sucks to not get want you want, burn the time AND know you have to repeat the trip for the same purpose. Hopefully it is an enjoyable ride.

Chris

President SCBMWRC

MOA / Airhead Beemer Club
2015 BMW R1200RT / 1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90

post #11 of 12 Old Jul 16th, 2014, 4:56 pm

My dealer is the same and it's amusing since it's all part of a "campus" with Mini on one side and BMW cars on the other. On Mondays the middle operation is closed. Same in Santa Fe, too.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2014, 5:08 pm

I bought my first motorcycle in 1968, on a Tuesday, after learning all motorcycle shops/dealers were closed Sunday and Mondays.
CaliDefector likes this.

RichM
2013 RT
2010 Zuma
Martin OM-42
two labs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in