Do NOT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 26th, 2012, 10:39 am Thread Starter

Do NOT

Take your bike to BMW of Cleveland if you can help it.

As some here may recall I have had no end of problems dealing with this place right from the start. Having been reassured they would do everything they could to right these wrongs and after a lengthy talk with BMW of America, I resigned myself to taking the saddlebag door to them for repainting. Some may recall it was damaged during a warranty repair prior to my AK trip.
Well I sent an email to inquire as to when I could expect the door back since its already been a couple weeks.... and the reply? "I'm out of the office until the 29th."

This is the type of thing going on since purchase. Dealer KNEW I was coming in to get the bike and told me everything would be ready. Arrived at dealer at 9am and didn't get done picking it up until 4pm.
No big deal folks get busy so I need to schedule the 6k service. 7 emails and phone calls without a return phone call or email. I finally get them on the phone and of course they'll call me back, their standard line. I say no way we've played that game and I'll wait on the line. They finally schedule the appointment but in the process admit they only had a part time tech to handle servicing because their new service writer quit after 3 months. Can you say alarm bells.
Service day is another ALL day event, arrive at 9am nobody at the shop, finally they arrive at 9:45 am but only after a BMW rep calls them, he's also been waiting. The tech brings my bike around at 5pm and they charge me $500 , and I go to depart. I can't even let the clutch out the bike is running so badly. Tech takes it back around and this time brings it back running smoother, its now 6pm.
Well no biggy right, stuff happens. The saddlebag retractor breaks internally so they order the part but not until after MORE phone tag. Part finally comes in and I take the bike over for the 5 minute job. Tech says bikes all ready BUT he doesn't bring it around the front... strange! As I approach the bike I see why, huge scratched area about 1-2" square right on the top front corner of the saddlebag door where he evidently let it hit or sit on the ground.
Around the front I go and point it out to the owner, who immediately grabs the tech, they consult for a few and then he hits me with the ole, "well the tech says he didn't do it" and "how do we know it wasn't like that when it came in" line. I point out his parking lot is STILL in the scratches and I want it fixed, aka new door. They agree to paint it...
Long story to get to the reality BMW wouldn't replace it or make the dealer do so and as a result I was left with the dealer repainting it.... Which gets us to where this post started. He's out of the office and will be back on the 29th
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 26th, 2012, 10:48 am

Re: Do NOT

Teach - git this, or a copy of it, over to the 'Dealer Experience' forum. Would apply to all models, not just RTs.
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 26th, 2012, 8:13 pm

Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 1st, 2012, 10:36 am Thread Starter

Ithought I'd update.
Today is September 1st and I last emailed the dealer 36 hours or so back, about my saddlebag lid. Now mind you he said he'd be back on the 29th but didn't say he'd get back to me. So I sent another inquiry and have yet to hear back. I guess I won't hold my breath since he has only returned one email and zero phone calls in the past.

So if BMW reads this.... This is NOT a good representation of how BMW dealers, no matter how large/small, or how mom & pop, should treat YOUR customers.

It really is a GOOD thing I like the RT, because it will be the LAST BMW I'll ever purchase and it won't ever see another dealership while I own it, as a result of this experience.
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 19th, 2012, 8:28 pm

Merely owning a dealership is no evidence of competence at hiring or running a business nor is it insurance against financial issues. What is going on at a shop like this is usually a very disconnected owner- either absentee, part time, or so far in hole financially they're all but given up. Some of these survive for a while if located where there is plenty of new business- I suspect the S1000RR has given a bit of life to some on the edge dealerships by bringing in a new wave of young customers.
I don't see my local dealer much- do my own work because I know how and the dealer is a couple hours away so by the time I get there and back almost any normal work can be completed. But they're good at what they do and I've learned a few tricks from their service guys so support them when it makes sense to go there- mostly parts or gear. They had an inept parts guy briefly a few years ago but he got replaced pretty fast- had no BMW product knowledge, only J brands, and porably wasn't a fast enough learner to get up to speed fast enough. His replacement has been there ever since and there has been no serious turnover in the service or sales side. That stability and accumulated experience is a good thing for customers-
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 20th, 2012, 10:01 am

Sometimes there is just a personality conflict, not saying who is at fault just that some people just don't get along. The staff at the dealership should act professionally even if they don't feel like they are at fault or been accused of something falsely. I am not saying that there were any false accusation just if the guy that did the damage denies it and the supervisor chooses to stand by him well problems will result....... The next guy's experience may be polar opposite to this experience.

Gerhard
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 7:24 pm Thread Starter

Thought I'd update this for the last time since I'm done with both BMW and Dale at BMWOC. I got my lid back and the paint work was terrible. We are talking noticable bad with a 1" stripe across the bag lid front to rear where the new paint wasn't blended to the factory paint. There are paint bubbles and it is just a mess. I contacted BMW and their rep contacted Dale whom told them the work was inspected and perfect. I sent BMW (their corp rep that handles these things) pictures which CLEARLY show these bags were not painted properly and are a mess. I got the same messege over and over from BMW, "the dealer said..." and "BMW doesn't take responsibility because the dealer (who doesn't admit to have scratched it but painted it anyhow) said....
I'll put some bag vinyl over the tops to hide the crappy work that was done I guess, BUT I am gonna make a point of letting EVERYONE I come in contact with know how bad this dealer is. I also won't be propmoting BMW to anyone. I love the bike, but I haven't the time of day or anything good to say about a corporation that would not step up to the plate when one of their dealers is OBVIOUSLY lying (remember I sent them pictures at their request). Their loss as I tend to buy a new bike every other year.
Heck BMWOC is having a big sales event this weekend so maybe I'll go park my bike with the crappy case lid and a big ole sign to warn folks off doing any business with him?
Stay well clear of BMWOC, there is another BMW dealer just across town....
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 6:53 am

Sorry to hear about another negative experience from this dealer. It's a shame, because (a) it was totally preventable, and (b) even if you're OK with 'accidents happen', they lost a chance to hit a home run with you by making it right, and then some.

I was going to ask if you were attending their big open house event this weekend, but you answered that question. There's a good chance I'll be there, but it's just for the free lunch.

Take a look at Mathias BMW down the road in New Philadelphia, OH. I've been taking my LT there for several years, even though my hometown dealer is 30 minutes from home and 10 minutes from the office. At Mathias BMW I've never experienced the problems you describe - in fact, quite the opposite. I will say that your original post in this thread is nearly word-for-word the same experience I've had at my hometown dealer - more than once. Good luck.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 17th, 2012, 1:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer7
...They had an inept parts guy briefly a few years ago but he got replaced pretty fast- had no BMW product knowledge, only J brands, and porably wasn't a fast enough learner to get up to speed fast enough. His replacement has been there ever since and there has been no serious turnover in the service or sales side....
I recently visited the closest BMW dealership in Plano, Texas to my house. Went there to see what they might have for some accessories I was looking for before our two week trip on the bike. Was looking for some various power cords/cables, as well as to see what they might have for riding boots and apparel for my wife. They had only one brand/one pair of boots, which was in her size but price not to her liking. I looked around while the parts guy was taking care of some business on the phone, and when I thought he was done, I asked him a few questions, and I did find a couple of things to purchase. He was courteous enough, but he continued to be interrupted by other matters, and I found it very unprofessional for him not to give me his undivided attention long enough when it came time for me to pay for my merchandise and get on down the road. Regarding the lack of selection for riding apparel, he claimed they didn't carry a large inventory because so many people buy their stuff online, where prices are lower (and obviously selection is better). That's a real shame because so much of this stuff doesn't always fit according to the size charts, and it's nice to be able to try it on before one buys.

I wouldn't say I had a bad experience, but I did have what I describe as a "typical" experience these days when it comes to dealing with any kind of retailer. Definitely lacked a lot to be a desirable/positive experience. He wouldn't even accept an unopened return in the event it wasn't what I needed just because it was an "electrical" item

I use to suggest if one needed their vehicle, (bike/car/truck) repaired, then they should take it to the dealership because at least if it didn't go well, there would be a manufacturer the customer could contact and get some kind of resolution, but I've seen,heard and experienced first hand that all too often isn't the case. It really sucks when one has to go to the lengths of hiring an attorney to get some satisfaction, which I've seen as well when I worked for one.

Moral of the story: learn to do your own repairs/maintenance and don't buy another of the same brand.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in