Chicago BMW - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 9:43 am Thread Starter

Chicago BMW

Anybody know what happened to Chicago BMW? http://www.chicagobmwmotorcycle.com
I always bought my BMW OEM parts there as they gave a 20% discount. Hopefully, they're not out of business, but their web address takes you to a page that says the domain is for sale.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 10:32 am

Re: Chicago BMW

They shut down last year sometime, don't remember exactly when. There's another new dealer up in that area called Countryside BMW, I believe. Also Sportland in Urbana, Il. has taken over the BMW dealership in central Illinois, and they offer 15% off online orders.

15% off of all online orders. All OEM parts have the discounted prices automatically figured in. For everything else please enter the coupon code in the comments box. The coupon code is 15off.
http://www.sportlandmotorsports.com/

I bought some buckets in there a week or so ago, and the guy gave me 10% off at the counter. Can't say this will always happen, but it did that time.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #3 of 15 Old Mar 26th, 2012, 4:07 pm

Think Countryside bought all the left over inventory of Chicago (Abt) BMW.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

post #4 of 15 Old Mar 26th, 2012, 4:57 pm

Abt BMW was where I bought my little 1975 R90/6 - just refurbed this winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6337A.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	603.8 KB
ID:	34694  
post #5 of 15 Old Mar 26th, 2012, 6:06 pm

Mike Abt is now at Countryside BMW along with Peter Jacob, mechanic Walter, and others from Chicago BMW.

It is a nice shop located in a former car dealership. Large inventory, good selection of clothing, accessories, and used bikes.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2012, 2:28 am

Garage

Yep!
New name, new location great service and same old friendly faces.
BMW of Countryside. No I don't work for them just an honest opinion.
ride safe
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2012, 9:22 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
They shut down last year sometime, don't remember exactly when. There's another new dealer up in that area called Countryside BMW, I believe. Also Sportland in Urbana, Il. has taken over the BMW dealership in central Illinois, and they offer 15% off online orders.

15% off of all online orders. All OEM parts have the discounted prices automatically figured in. For everything else please enter the coupon code in the comments box. The coupon code is 15off.
http://www.sportlandmotorsports.com/

I bought some buckets in there a week or so ago, and the guy gave me 10% off at the counter. Can't say this will always happen, but it did that time.
They might give 15% off, if you can actually get your order in. They have no clue about running an online store. To start with, they have no parts fiche. You have to look up parts on another site. Then there is no click to order. You fill out some form with your info and the part numbers and hit send. There is nothing that totals your order and allows you to pay for your parts. They are supposed to call you and then you are supposed to give them a credit card and arrange shipping. I forgot one part, so I sent a second request form. I didn't hear from them for a while, so I called and it is very hard to get a live person and not a recording. When I finally did get through, I found out then that they could not find my first order, with many parts on it, but could only find the second request with one. So I then had to look up the parts again and give them the numbers. The guy I talked to was supposed to add things up and call me with the number and get my info (again, as they had lost it), but he called right in the middle of an important discussion I was having, and when I tried to call back, I could never get through again. I finally decided any money I was going to save, was not worth the hassle. I don't know how their operation is when you deal with these guys in person, but they definitely have no clue how to operate an online business.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2012, 4:00 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

That's not the experience I had with Countryside at all. My experience was very positive.

Note that I already had part numbers and prices from the Max BMW online parts catalog. I find that site to be user friendly and accurate, and I use it a lot.

I went to the BMW Countryside main web page, and entered my part numbers in the box in the upper left. They were added to my Shopping Cart, and I was able to verify prices, quantity, availability, and add the Promo15 code to see my 15% discount.

I calculated shipping, which turned out to be way cheaper than I thought it would be, and got my grand total. I put in my credit card info, and got an order confirmation email right away.

All this was done last Saturday.

I did have some trouble finding any sort of tracking number through their website, so I just called today and spoke to a real person, who transferred me to the exact guy who had pulled my order. He said they were still waiting on a few parts from BMW. Most of the parts said In Stock when I first looked them up, but a few were marked Special Order so this didn't surprise me. He then verified that the remaining parts were coming in tomorrow, and said that if something was still missing, they'd do a partial shipment to get most of my stuff out this week. No mention of added shipping charges for this at all.

I'm still reserving final judgement until the parts actually show up, but so far, I've been very pleased with their service.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2012, 8:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

My experience with Countryside is somewhere in between. Yeah, they pretty much screwed up my order, couldn't find any of it online, lost the partial order from over the phone. I've not had an issue with getting through to the parts dept. The order ended up a few days late, but they made good on the over-night shipping of the missing parts without cost to me.
Will I do it again? Maybe with something simple, not all coolant hoses and clamps as one order.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #10 of 15 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 5:47 am

I has been a loyal Chicago BMW customer. However, when Cycle Werks in Barrington IL. went through a change in ownership, they won my business and not solely on the basis of price either.

I'l stick with Cycle Werks.
post #11 of 15 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 9:42 am

Countryside BMW has a nice store and lots of room. I went there on their Spring open house - my wife & I rode the LT down the week after the Chicago International Motorcycle show. We were there about an hour. While I did not find anybody and ask for a demo ride, we were there for over an hour and none of the sales staff even said hello as we went around and kick the tires on all of their display models inside and out, and then perused the jackets, helmets and shirts.

They were nice enough to hold the open house. I was a bit surprised about nothing but coffee, but some places do not like to deal with the mess and I did not go there to eat. I was just a bit sterile.

I would not be surprised to hear they did not do callbacks at times. A nice place. I guess I could also say they left us to poke around on our own. But I have been to lots of open houses and there is usually no end of friendly faces. Perhaps Friday night was a late party or something.

Cycle werks in Barrington works for me too, although I did like quirky old John.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 12:23 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
That's not the experience I had with Countryside at all. My experience was very positive.

Note that I already had part numbers and prices from the Max BMW online parts catalog. I find that site to be user friendly and accurate, and I use it a lot.

I went to the BMW Countryside main web page, and entered my part numbers in the box in the upper left. They were added to my Shopping Cart, and I was able to verify prices, quantity, availability, and add the Promo15 code to see my 15% discount.

I calculated shipping, which turned out to be way cheaper than I thought it would be, and got my grand total. I put in my credit card info, and got an order confirmation email right away.

All this was done last Saturday.

I did have some trouble finding any sort of tracking number through their website, so I just called today and spoke to a real person, who transferred me to the exact guy who had pulled my order. He said they were still waiting on a few parts from BMW. Most of the parts said In Stock when I first looked them up, but a few were marked Special Order so this didn't surprise me. He then verified that the remaining parts were coming in tomorrow, and said that if something was still missing, they'd do a partial shipment to get most of my stuff out this week. No mention of added shipping charges for this at all.

I'm still reserving final judgement until the parts actually show up, but so far, I've been very pleased with their service.
That was Sportland I was dealing with, not Countryside.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #13 of 15 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 12:47 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyn1
That was Sportland I was dealing with, not Countryside.
Ah, I see.

My orders are supposed to arrive this week. I'll report back once everything is here and counted.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2012, 12:23 am

Garage

Quote:
Ah, I see.

My orders are supposed to arrive this week. I'll report back once everything is here and counted.
Did you get your order.
I am looking at the date and wondering what was the outcome with your interaction with BMW of Countryside in our Chicagoland area. Its a continuation of the service we once got at Chicago BMW. And why shouldn't it since they are the very personnel form Chicago. I enjoy the service and looking around the place. I realize you are out of town but they have a coffee bar with TV/video comfortable seating and a huge library of books and magazines, accessory display, helmet and apparel. So if you ever come through check them out they are easy to find.
OK I am long winded so simply how was your order????
ride safe
post #15 of 15 Old May 1st, 2012, 11:09 pm

Garage

Quote:
Ah, I see.

Still waiting ??
Or busy out riding. Just wanted your take on the experience. Good I hope.
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in