Big Twin BMW, Boise ID, Kudos for doing it right - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 7:07 am Thread Starter

Big Twin BMW, Boise ID, Kudos for doing it right

So after a few adventures getting to CCR, checked everything thoroughly Thur eve when I got back from lunch sponsored by Big Twin and all was well. Friday morning up at 5 to get started on the way back so I could spend a day with my sister's family before showing back to work. Checked the rear tire pressure - uh oh, only 30 lbs. Couldn't find the hole, so hoped it was the valve stem, but no such luck, when sprayed with a little soapy water found the pin hole leak. So, aired it up and off to Big Twin to wait for them to open.

They all showed up around 8:30 (opening is at 9) and were able to move me to the top of the queue and were done by 10. So on the road with only a few hour delay, very thankful.

As some of you know, I was running on a borrowed rear wheel and tire, so when I stopped in Topeka to exchange it, Dean noted that the tire was the Marathon version, not rated for the LT.

I don't know about you, but anymore I don't really expect anything from a vendor, so almost just wrote it off as a bad experience. Certainly I had some culpability in the situation as I took possession and rode off with it. Anyway, at the encouragement of Dean and others, I jotted Big Twin a note to let them know that somehow I ended up with the wrong tire on my bike, not really expecting anything.

To my surprise, Neal Black (service manager) wrote back immediately, saying their records (my invoice) showed they had mounted the correct tire, and they had checked their inventory, and couldn't figure it out, but the tire must have been mislabeled from the factory, but they wanted to make it right. And so, without questioning my veracity or culpability, Neal asked if he could refund the cost of the tire, of course, I gratefully accepted. Check showed up this week.

I'm absolutely amazed, maybe I shouldn't be, but if you are ever in Boise, ID, you can count on Big Twin.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 8:24 pm
Super Moderator

Re: Big Twin BMW, Boise ID, Kudos for doing it right

You are way too kind . . .

Let's see they mounted the wrong tire, but your life in jeopardy and gave you your money back and you are happy!!

One out of three not bad . . .

I do not believe I would honestly have this dealer service my bike. There is "no excuse" for mounting a wrong tire on a
K1200LT - none . . . they obviously do not employ any quality control and do not believe in having their critical mechanical
work checked.

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 6:32 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Having been to this Dealer & speaking with the Owner of the place I will have to Disagree with you Dan. They are a very top notch Dealership. Beside people make mistakes. It is how they deal with that mistake that makes or breaks a business. Yes it was a bad mistake but a mistake never the less. I know you have made mistakes before I would hope you handled them with the same CLASS that Big Twin Did.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 7:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Having been to this Dealer & speaking with the Owner of the place I will have to Disagree with you Dan. They are a very top notch Dealership. Beside people make mistakes. It is how they deal with that mistake that makes or breaks a business. Yes it was a bad mistake but a mistake never the less. I know you have made mistakes before I would hope you handled them with the same CLASS that Big Twin Did.
They did awesome taking the customer's word for it when their records and inventory showed otherwise. How many others go by the credo "the customer is always right"?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 10:18 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
they obviously do not employ any quality control and do not believe in having their critical mechanical work checked.
Not to turn this into a negative thread but Dan.... Everything must go right in your life, so there must be no reason for you to have things "made right" huh...

If anyone knows my view of "stealers" knows I expect a lot. I expect perfection from a dealer and no mistakes. My local dealer, makes plenty of them when I HAVE to see them. The difference here is BIG TWIN attempted to make a wrong, RIGHT. Albeit after the fact, at least they did.

While at CCR I had the occasion to visit the DEALER twice. Both times when I NEEDED a dealer.

First time was due to overheating. I figured out it was a faulty radiator cap. My little group rode over and I spoke to the parts guy and got the typical response. "Sorry, its not in stock. But we could order it for you". Pissed off at yet another "Stealer" experience, I put the accessory items back that I planned to purchase as a silent protest and walked back out the door. To my surprise the guy came out front and presented me a used one to get me back home. He did not have to do that, he knew I was not local, but he went to the extreme to find something to get me running...

The second time was after I low sided the bike. I snapped off my right foot peg in the process. As I was sitting there (they replaced the front tire) we brain stormed a solution to my predicament. They drilled and mounted a large bolt into the plate to get me home. AND attempted several times (over an hour spent on this alone) to figure out why the ABS lights were on. All Gratis! No charge other than the new tire...

Now we see that they went over and beyond to right a wrong. Big Twin is not a Harley dealer. There should be no reason for a HD rated tire to be in there shop. I can see how this could happen, but I'd think they will be checking their inventory going forward.

I could only wish (We discussed this in jest) the owners could relocate of open a remote shop closer to me. THEY would get my business...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in