Alamo BMW does not seam to be very concerned with BMW owners after the sale. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Nov 24th, 2010, 3:03 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Dealer acted as if I was an inconvenience to just be gouged and then sent on my way.

Last week I needed to go on a short notice 760 mile trip from San Antonio TX to the Fort Walton Beach FL so naturally I chose to take my LT. My bike needed an oil change before I left on my trip. I had several oil filters on hand and 10 quarts of synthetic oil but I was lacking the 3 x 88 o-ring and 18 x 22 crush washer needed to perform the oil change. In the past I had purchased the o-rings and crush washers from A & S BMW on line for:

07119963300 18 x 22 crush washer $ 0.89 ea
11131460425 3 x 88 o-ring $ 2.57 ea

Because I only had 24 hours notice to prep my bike before leaving I would need to try and procure the washer and o-ring needed from my local BMW dealer....Alamo BMW. I called and asked the dealer if he had the o-ring and crush washer I needed in stock and the parts manager told me he did....in a kit??? Because I was in a hurry to get ready for the road I accepted the dealership answer and planned to drive the 25 miles to the dealer. I then thought, does he mean a filter kit? I called him back and asked the parts manager if he had the o-ring and crush washer separate or if I had to buy a filter kit? The dealer informed me that I had to get the filter kit to get the washer and o-ring and the filter kit was some CRAZY PRICE. I went off!!! I got him to admit that there was a part number for the parts I needed but the dealer just did not carry them; not enough storage space for o-rings and washers? I berated the "parts guy" and told him I would drive to the Austin dealer before I would EVER go to Alamo BMW. He apologized and said he would brake up a filter set and sell me the parts needed.

The dealer acted as if I was an inconvenience to just be gouged and then sent on my way.

One would think that the dealer would carry all expendable maintenance items needed and let the bike owner decide what items he needs and in what quantity, am I wrong?

Have any of you out there experienced this type of selective parts stockage at your dealership?

As always your comments are welcome, Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Nov 24th, 2010, 3:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Dealer acted as if I was an inconvenience to just be gouged and then sent on my way.

Haven't been to a dealer in the last 3 years except to get a crown wheel bearing and shim.

1. Don't replace the o-ring each time. Mine hasn't been replaced in 3-4 years and 6 or so changes.

2. Don't use the drain plug. Drain through the oil filter cover that you have to remove anyway.

Dan Martin
post #3 of 19 Old Nov 24th, 2010, 3:18 pm

Re: Dealer acted as if I was an inconvenience to just be gouged and then sent on my way.

Same experience in terms of price with Alamo BMW. Needed the water hose connector, could obtain online for about $8.74 and the gasket for $1.90. Ended up costing me $10.49 and $3.90. Ok a couple of bucks more for the connector was ok, but double the price for the washer, c'mon. Will not do business with them again.

Beer is ok, wine is better, God is Great! and people, well, they're people.
Ed Jones
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Suzuki 500 -gone
Honda 350 - gone
Honda 450 - gone
1972 HD Sportster - gone
Kawasaki KZ 900 - gone
2000 Yamaha 1100 - gone
2000 Yamaha 1600 - gone
2001 HD Dyna - gone
2000 K1200 LT
2002 HD Ultra Classic

post #4 of 19 Old Nov 24th, 2010, 4:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL
Have any of you out there experienced this type of selective parts stockage at your dealership?
Yes, and it's not limited to BMW dealerships. As more and more dealers rely on their service departments for revenue, you will see more and more of this type of activity, designed to discourage the self-service owner.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "kit" he referred to was one he created himself, or one that BMW corporate created at the dealer request.
post #5 of 19 Old Nov 24th, 2010, 4:44 pm

Even tho Alamo BMW is 6 miles from me, I ride 210 miles round trip to do welcome bidness with Lone Star BMW in Austin.

Hey, Steve, next time you need routine service on your LT, give me a shout and we'll work up a small tech session down by the Flagstop Cafe. Got a lift, some supplies, tools, and a GS-911 code reader unit - all in a storage bay there - and some pretty good wrench help we can call up from some of the locals. Be glad to help out when we can.
post #6 of 19 Old Nov 24th, 2010, 9:39 pm

Oh the joys of owning a BMW. Owning both an LT and a GT in the past, this type of situation at the dealerships was almost always frustrating at best.

On the other hand, it is good to buy some parts from them, or otherwise even the "few and far between" dealers may not be there when you really need them in a pinch.

One of the things I LOVE about the the Wing I now own is the sheer number of dealerships available around the country (not that it ever breaks) . Plus, all the Honda dealership locations are programmed into the GPS. As I'm riding, one shows up (as an icon) in almost ALL larger cities and even many small towns and hamlets. Kinda comforting after riding my BMW's and hoping I didn't need a dealership in an emergency...cause you can't hardly find 'em and sometimes when you do, they act like they're doing YOU a favor by charging you double to order parts on a slow ship from the mother-land. But, such is the price of bearing the roundel...

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 19 Old Nov 25th, 2010, 7:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
Haven't been to a dealer in the last 3 years except to get a crown wheel bearing and shim.

1. Don't replace the o-ring each time. Mine hasn't been replaced in 3-4 years and 6 or so changes.

2. Don't use the drain plug. Drain through the oil filter cover that you have to remove anyway.

Dan Martin
+1! ... and you can get the identical Bosch (except it is powder coated black) oil filter from Rock Auto for $3.76 each last time I checked, which admittedly was a couple of years ago. I bought 6.

In the future if you need parts - and aren't pressed for time - call Chicago BMW and ask for your 20% discount. You must ASK for it - they won't volunteer it and are not allowed to advertise it due to BMW policy.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 19 Old Nov 25th, 2010, 6:14 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin

Dan Martin
Plus 1 I've only replaced the "O-Ring" 1 time in 70K miles & have never removed the drain plug.

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 19 Old Nov 26th, 2010, 8:49 am

Maybe it is a small deal, but the drain plug is lower than the filter and therefore drains more of the old oil out. Also, I find that if I remove the oil filter first, it makes quite a mess compared to using the drain plug first. I always use the plug now and always replace the crush washer. My dealer sells them for $.99 each, but I know some people here found a much cheaper source. I also warm the engine up and let the bike drain for over an hour just to let as much as that old oil out before I replace it with the new stuff. It is still dripping old oil even after an hour.

Since you have a source for your oil and filters, it appears you should be able to find a crush washer source as well.

Ultra LT
post #10 of 19 Old Nov 27th, 2010, 11:33 am

Thumbs up Re: Dealer acted as if I was an inconvenience to just be gouged and then sent on my way.

Beemer Boneyard is your friend!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 19 Old Nov 28th, 2010, 6:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL
Last week I needed to go on a short notice 760 mile trip from San Antonio TX to the Fort Walton Beach FL so naturally I chose to take my LT. My bike needed an oil change before I left on my trip. I had several oil filters on hand and 10 quarts of synthetic oil but I was lacking the 3 x 88 o-ring and 18 x 22 crush washer needed to perform the oil change. In the past I had purchased the o-rings and crush washers from A & S BMW on line for:

07119963300 18 x 22 crush washer $ 0.89 ea
11131460425 3 x 88 o-ring $ 2.57 ea

Because I only had 24 hours notice to prep my bike before leaving I would need to try and procure the washer and o-ring needed from my local BMW dealer....Alamo BMW. I called and asked the dealer if he had the o-ring and crush washer I needed in stock and the parts manager told me he did....in a kit??? Because I was in a hurry to get ready for the road I accepted the dealership answer and planned to drive the 25 miles to the dealer. I then thought, does he mean a filter kit? I called him back and asked the parts manager if he had the o-ring and crush washer separate or if I had to buy a filter kit? The dealer informed me that I had to get the filter kit to get the washer and o-ring and the filter kit was some CRAZY PRICE. I went off!!! I got him to admit that there was a part number for the parts I needed but the dealer just did not carry them; not enough storage space for o-rings and washers? I berated the "parts guy" and told him I would drive to the Austin dealer before I would EVER go to Alamo BMW. He apologized and said he would brake up a filter set and sell me the parts needed.

The dealer acted as if I was an inconvenience to just be gouged and then sent on my way.

One would think that the dealer would carry all expendable maintenance items needed and let the bike owner decide what items he needs and in what quantity, am I wrong?

As always your comments are welcome, Steve
Maybe he acted that way after you "went off" and "berated" him for not having exactly what you wanted in stock. I always try to look at both sides of the story.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #12 of 19 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 6:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I never pull the plug and always wipe out the interior with paper towels. That way it is squeaky clean inside.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #13 of 19 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 5:15 pm

On the other end of the specturm my local dealer, BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta will gladly sell me the crush washers from inventory and not from one of the filter kits. As a result on more than one occassion I have spent more than the $2.00 I had originally meant to spend.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #14 of 19 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 6:00 pm

Talking Re: Dealer acted as if I was an inconvenience to just be gouged and then sent on my way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I never pull the plug and always wipe out the interior with paper towels. That way it is squeaky clean inside.
John, is this one of these "that's what she said" jokes???

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #15 of 19 Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 9:44 am Thread Starter

Question Re: Dealer acted as if I was an inconvenience to just be gouged and then sent on my way.

Finished my trip to FL and returned to San Antonio, road 758 miles straight in 12.5 hours and my bike rode great! I regret to say I saw many bikes on the road but only one LT. Perhaps exclusivity is one reason I like this bike so much but I miss the comaroddery of fellow LT owners on the road. Chatted with MANY Harley riders on the road but it feels as if most Harley riders have some kind of WWII based grudge with German technology.....the grudge apparently does not extend so much to German beer?

In retrospect my issue with my local dealer is primarily based on the fact that Alamo BMW does not seam to be very concerned with BMW owners after the sale. Having managed two Kawasaki and Honda dealerships for half a decade many years ago I feel as if the business model of my local dealer is very counter productive for the dealer and local BMW bike owners. I am more then willing to pay more for parts to have the conveyance of getting the part after a half hour ride across town. I also understand why BMW parts are so expensive having lived in Ideroberstein, Germany for 4 years so I suppose my issue is primarily based on the dealers attitude.... just do not get that warm and fuzzy feeling when visiting them? I think we all know that most local BMW bike dealers are not selling anywhere near the number of units as there competing rice or Harley dealer are so I do not understand why my dealer is not diligently and professionally to try and sell me EVERYTHING necessary to meet my riding needs?

Thanks to all for the good advice submitted on this forum and the willingness of BMW owners to reach out to help each other. Steve
post #16 of 19 Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 5:34 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Alamo BMW does not seam to be very concerned with BMW owners after the sale.

Last week I needed to go on a short notice 760 mile trip from San Antonio TX to the Fort Walton Beach FL so naturally I chose to take my LT. My bike needed an oil change before I left on my trip. I was lacking the o-ring and crush washer needed to perform the oil change. In the past I had purchased the items from A & S BMW on line.

Because I only had 24 hours notice to prep my bike before leaving I would need to try and procure the washer and o-ring needed from my local BMW dealer....Alamo BMW. I called and asked the dealer if he had the o-ring and crush washer I needed in stock and the parts manager told me he did....in a kit??? I asked the parts manager if he had the o-ring and crush washer separate or if I had to buy a filter kit? The dealer informed me that I had to get the filter kit to get the washer and o-ring and the filter kit was some CRAZY PRICE.

The dealer acted as if I was an inconvenience to just be gouged and then sent on my way. I purchased the needed items, changed my oil and hit the road.

I Finished my trip to FL and returned to San Antonio, road 758 miles straight in 12.5 hours and my bike rode great! I regret to say I saw many bikes on the road but only one LT. Perhaps exclusivity is one reason I like this bike so much but I miss the comaroddery of fellow LT owners on the road. Chatted with MANY Harley riders on the road but it feels as if most Harley riders have some kind of WWII based grudge with German technology.....the grudge apparently does not extend so much to German beer?

In retrospect my issue with my local dealer is primarily based on the fact that Alamo BMW does not seam to be very concerned with BMW owners after the sale. Having managed two Kawasaki and Honda dealerships for half a decade many years ago I feel as if the business model of my local dealer is very counter productive for the dealer and local BMW bike owners. I am more then willing to pay more for parts to have the conveyance of getting the part after a half hour ride across town. I also understand why BMW parts are so expensive having lived in Ideroberstein, Germany for 4 years so I suppose my issue is primarily based on the dealers attitude.... just do not get that warm and fuzzy feeling when visiting them? I think we all know that most local BMW bike dealers are not selling anywhere near the number of units as there competing rice or Harley dealer are so I do not understand why my dealer is not diligently and professionally to try and sell me EVERYTHING necessary to meet my riding needs?

Thanks to all for the good advice submitted on this forum and the willingness of BMW owners to reach out to help each other. Steve
post #17 of 19 Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 6:46 pm

Re: Alamo BMW does not seam to be very concerned with BMW owners after the sale.

Even in todays economy I would surmise that giving past or FUTURE customers a warm welcome would go a long way towards which dealership to head to for the sale and after the sale. I wouldnt even notice dealer A if dealer B gave me a friendly attitude whether I was there to shoot the schtick or buy something...

Must be some new kind of sales tactic.... The Dominatrix sales force at work here...

I get the same thing when I go to the store looking for audio toys..

local home theater place isn't concerned because I look like I didnt drive in a mercedes...

I dont mind giving my business to someone else.. 4 k later is a lost sale for them and business that wont return back...

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #18 of 19 Old Dec 4th, 2010, 12:13 pm

Re: Alamo BMW does not seam to be very concerned with BMW owners after the sale.

I lived in San Antonio for 20+ years and purchased many Triumphs and BMW, none from Alamo BMW. Not for lack of trying. From the moment you walk in, the atmosphere is one that makes you feel like you imposing on them. When I was in the market for a touring bike my K1200LT, I test rode an K1200LT at Alamo and a Goldwing at Joe Harrison. I like the LT and tried to negotiate the purchase. Long story short, gave up and went to Lone Star in Austin. I was so put off with Alamo, I had all of service and purchased all of my parts and accessories in the future from Lone Star.

I'm now lucky enough to live in Frisco with a BMW dealer in Plano and one in Ft.Worth and both great to work with.

westcott360
Frisco, Texas
2008 BMW R1200RT (Titan Silver)
post #19 of 19 Old Dec 5th, 2010, 2:14 pm

If it's any consolation, they have never given me the correct oil filter for my GT on the first try. The last time I was in there, the idiot behind the asked me 4 times what bike and year it was for....and he STILL gave me the wrong part!

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in