Frank's BMW Essex Junction, VT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 9:34 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Frank's BMW Essex Junction, VT

On Thursday, while on vacation with the wife, my LT died on me. We had exited off an interstate, and the engine died just like I had cut off the switch, while going down the off ramp. I tried to restart it with no success; the engine would turn over well, but it would not even attempt to start. I had noticed just a short time earlier while going thru a small town, before getting on the interstate, that the engine appeared to idle low. Not rough, but low. I then got on the interstate and drove about 5 miles before exiting. There was no indication of any problem on the interstate.

I looked for the obvious. I knew I hadn't run out of fuel because I had filled up 40 miles earlier. I smelled it to see if I had gotten a tank of diesel. I listened to the fuel pump and it sounded normal. And checked all fuses. I had a good assortment of tools in the trailer as well as a repair manual. But decided this wasn't a good place to start tearing the bike apart. There was nothing within seeing distance in any direction at this exit. It was approaching 5 pm, so, I decided to call a tow truck.

A local stopped to see if he could help me and told me about Frank's BMW in Essex Junction, VT, about 40 miles away. I decided to have it taken there.

I can't say enough good things about the people at Frank's. They were so kind to us. They waited after their closing time for us. The owner made us reservations at a local hotel and carried us there. The next morning he returned to pick us up.

Their shop started on our bike first thing the next morning and had us on our way very shortly later. Their charges were very fair. If you're ever near Essex Junction, VT you need to go by and see them!!!

Steve
2005 K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 1:03 am

Thumbs up Re: Frank's BMW Essex Junction, VT

+1 on Franks. At approximately a midway stop on a cross country and return trip I had arranged in advance for a 6000 mile service on my RT at Franks. Early in my trip I fell victim to the apparently very common fuel sensor failure. I emailed Franks a couple days in advance to alert him and he had the part on hand. I dropped the bike off in the AM and it was good to go with the 6000 mile service and a new fuel sensor installed by lunch time. He took the time to recommend some very nice local roads for my day ride after I picked up the bike.

2008 F800ST, 2009 R1200RT
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 13th, 2011, 10:03 pm

Re: Frank's BMW Essex Junction, VT

I'm a VT local and I have to echo the kudos for Frank's. A first rate operation in every respect. Lester gets dinged by a few folks for his "bedside manner" but he is a straight shooter, extremely knowledgeable and dedicated to his bikes and his customers ... and when he has the time, fun to schmooze with about bikes and other stuff.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 6:08 pm

[QUOTE=slmorley]On Thursday, while on vacation with the wife, my LT died on me. We had exited off an interstate, and the engine died just like I had cut off the switch, while going down the off ramp. I tried to restart it with no success; the engine would turn over well, but it would not even attempt to start.

So, what happened with the bike? Fuel hose come off in the gas tank?
Millions are wondering.....

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 11:58 am Thread Starter

So, what happened with the bike? Fuel hose come off in the gas tank?
Millions are wondering.....[/QUOTE]

Bad premium gas I had just purchased.

Steve
2005 K1200LT
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 1:37 pm

Sadly, with the economy, Premium Gas does not get sold nearly as fast, so it sits in the tanks longer, picking up impurities. Gas stations don't change filters as often as they should. Pumps do not get the maintenance they should. And in some small towns, it seems worse.

The LT can survive a long time on Intermediate grade 89 AKI fuel, just like the cover to the gas cap says. I know some who have had to use regular unleaded gasohol and who have ridden to tell about it. The 1600 GT/GTL engine is not nearly as forgiving of non-premium gas. So the longer the economy stays where it is, the worse this will get.

Of course, as one new station recently remarked, the last time oil was selling this low, gas was $2.42 a gallon, and not its $3.15 to $3.59 a gallon for the same barrel price. And the individual station owners are not the ones getting rich. Which is why these problems happen more often.

I am glad they got you going so quickly and treated you so well.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in