Bad exp at Mac's Cycle in Lewiston - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jun 8th, 2010, 9:01 am Thread Starter

Bad exp at Mac's Cycle in Lewiston

I recently bought a 2002 K1200LTE from Macs cycle. A bit of a long story but I feel itís important for our group to know.

I called the shop about an add I saw on the web for a 2002 K1200LTE. I asked the following questions....
1. Was there anything wrong with the bike?
2. What does the service history look like?

I was told by the salesman that they had just done service when they took the bike in and that they replaced all the fluids had thoroughly gone through the bike and that the tires were at 80%, not new but close. He also said that the bike had sparse history and couldnít comment on it as it wasnít documented. I told him I wasnít interested as a high mileage bike with very little record of service is trouble waiting to happen. I did some more research that night and decided to call them back the next day. When I called I spoke to the same sales person and he repeated everything he told me the day before and said that this was a very well taken care of bike that looked great. I then did more reading on the bike and decided to call back to talk about it one more time before I decided on whether to buy it or not. This time it was a different sales person and for the first 5 minutes of our conversation he wasnít even talking about the bike I called about. He apologized once he realized he was talking about the wrong bike and I was happy with the answers he gave me so I put $200 down over the phone on my credit card.
I made arrangements for a ride 2 days later and we proceeded to go get the bike. I had to be back in town to get my daughter from school and explained this when I got there that I had no time to wait. The sales person started explaining all the functions of the bike and I stopped him saying I like to learn the features myself. He then went on to tell me about having to hit the left alarm button to be able to start the bike. I asked him at that point if there was anything else that wasnít obvious that I NEEDED TO KNOW and he said no. he tried to tell me again what everything did and I said I didnít want him to tell me as I wanted to find it on my own. I again asked him if there was anything I had to know and he said no. I did a very quick look-over and was off for home to get my daughter.
that night I had time to start a detailed go through and started with the brakes and tires. I checked the tires wear indicators and saw that they had already been passed and it was well past time to replace these almost "new" tires. I called the shop and told them these tires were not what they had told me as they were not even relatively close to 80%+ but were in fact beyond their replacement time. I was told that they had never said the tires were almost new but I said this was untrue as the 1st 2 calls I made to them I was told on both occasions that they were almost new. Well they offered to sell me a new set at cost and install them free and I said Iíd think about it but I had to finish going through the bike. The next morning I started the bike and boy did it smoke. Yes I was hot and emailed them about this. I then checked the web to find that this was normal for the K bikes and immediately wrote them an apology for my last email saying they sold me a bad bike and again touched on the tires. Then is where it got real interesting....

I pulled a side cover and got to where I could see the exhaust and found where it went from 4 to 1 it had a crack. Then I happened on drop/crash damage under the left wing. I called them back and asked why I was not told the bike had been dropped/wrecked and that the exhaust was cracked and that the tires were not almost new but in fact needed replacing. I was given a line that they never said any of the things they told me on the 1s 3 calls and that this was a used bike. I told them that this was bs as if aI had been told about these items I would NOT have offered what I ended up paying for the bike and in fact probably would have passed on it. I asked what they were going to do to make this right and was told they would only sell me a new set of tires at cost and install them for free. I told them this was not acceptable and the very least they could do was replace the tires free of charge for being dishonest with me. Then the runaround started. Back and forth with the salesman and I finally tried calling the owner. Every time I called he had "just stepped out". So I sent him an email (like this one explaining what had been said and how the sale progressed, that I did not appreciate the runaround, and that if they were not going to work this out I would have to leave bad reviews and report them to the BBB. I got an email back from the owner saying he spoke with the sales person involved and that he was going to side with him and that I wasnít being honest. He also said I was threatening them about the reviews and BBB. I told him it was not against the law to review any business or to make a report to the BBB and this is where it was left. Part of the deal was the original owner had all the com system cables and that they were to be included in the sale but would have to be shipped to me as he had them at home still. This was the last straw. I then sent a report to the BBB and pulled up every single review site I could find to review them.

This is a bit of a overview of what happened and I cannot recommend this company to ANYONE as it seems they will lie cheat steal etc to sell a bike regardless of whether its right or wrong and then will call the buyer a liar. Stay way clear of this company for any major purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jun 8th, 2010, 9:16 am

Re: Bad exp at Mac's Cycle in Lewiston

OH MY GOD !!!!!
Did they screw you...

It would appear that you've never bought a used anything...

I've never bought a used vehicle of any kind that didn't need new tires..The fact that you didn't look at them closely upon your initial inspection is your fault...You believed the salesman ? What planet do you live on ... You can't believe anything a used car/motorcycle salesman tells you ... Cause usually they don't know and are lying or are just putting the best light on the sale so you'll bite...Used is not EVER new...It's used...
You bought a NINE year old bike...It's going to have an issue or two...

The crack in the header collector is a common issue on these bikes and can easily be repaired....Probably for less than fifty dollars...

And they will smoke like a SOB if you just shut them off and drop them onto the side stand..Once again your ignorance...

Take the tires at cost and get the exhaust welded... It's just stainless steel and anyone with a TIG can weld it...

Oh and LT's get dropped. That's why you see the scratches on the tip over wing..
That's what it's for... New ones are about $40.00 each...After you get your drops out of the way, Then you can get some new ones..Or get some now and wreck them yourself..

I think you need to step back a little and realize that most dealers don't go over a used bike with a fine tooth comb... And usually salesmen don't know shit....

Sounds like you bought a good bike... Any used bike is going to have a couple of issues..
At least you're not having to replace the rear drive or clutch (Yet)...
It doesn't sound like the dealer is treating you unfairly to me

Chill out.. Get the new tires for cost. (If they'll still give them to you.) Get new steel valve stems at the same time.. DAMHIK...
Get the header welded and enjoy the bike..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JPSpen; Jun 8th, 2010 at 9:33 am.
post #3 of 8 Old Jun 8th, 2010, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Your absolutely correct that I should have set time aside to thourly go through the bike there. Bad mistake I wont make again. This was the 1st bike I have ever bought from a dealer and ive never bought one new. I "assumned" I would be told the truth and learned a real lesson here. I am very aware of what to look for and such but my planning was very poor due to assumptions. When Ive bought used bikes in the past I set at least an hour aside to go through the bike before i buy and have no idea why I did it differently here but never again

post #4 of 8 Old Jun 8th, 2010, 9:41 am

Ok, Now that we're cool and all..

Never stop the bike with the front end turned. Using the front brakes at low speed with the front end turned will throw the bike to the ground...There is no give in the Telelever suspension and the front end won't dive like other bikes... So that energy takes you to the ground if the front end is turned...

Hold it upright and shut it off with the side stand...
Then wait 20-30 seconds before you put it on the stand.. That'll give the oil time to run back down into the crankcase...Now she won't smoke next time you start her...

This is an expensive bike to have repaired/serviced so I hope you're up to the task yourself..
Nothing is difficult but a lot of stuff has to come off to get to the "guts" of the bike...

You're going to drop it... It's just a matter of time. There's a video showing you how to pick it up.. Find it... When it starts to go.. The only thing you're going to do is hurt yourself if you try to stop it... Let her down as gently as you can.. She's got guards and stuff to keep the damage minimal... The drops are almost always at zero speed... She's made to take that...She's a big top heavy pig....

That is all .....Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 8 Old Jun 8th, 2010, 9:56 am Thread Starter

Yes ive been riding for over 35 years now and have always wanted a tele/para equiped bike. Thanks for the warning but I was already aware of its tendancy to tip over. Being 6'3" 200LBs sure helps handel the bike. It took about 4 days to adjust to its top heavyness but now I dont even notice it. I havent had an issue with it smoking since that 1st morning as Ill turn it off and hold the bike upright for about 30 seconds while turning everything off. Seems to be enough time to let the oil drian properly. I have always done all of my own work which is the only reason I went ahead and bought this biker as I knew I could fix anything that happened (other than death heh) and haveing a fully equiped shop with lifts is a real bonus.....now if I can oly get the fizzer and vstar of the lifts ill have room heh. I am planing a full service to replace all fluids, weld the exhaust, change filters and plugs, and change out the brake pads with some squeal stop added (boy she sounds nastly without it) but ive got to wait till I get my Vstar motor rebuilt 1st. I am sure that someday Ill tip it over but im not nearly as worried as I was the 1st few days. Once adjusted to the weeight and using logical precuations most situations can be avoided. Love that reverse though
post #6 of 8 Old Jun 8th, 2010, 9:57 am

Chet,
I understand your frustration but you have to check these things out before buying. Even the best Dealer will miss things and never assume tires are good without looking at them, every single time you get on the bike.
It does no good to make a enemy out of your dealer, especially for what the sales staff did or didn't do.

Anyhow you have a great group of LT guys up North there that can help out a lot getting your LT just the way you'll want it. I would get on the NW board here and chat it up.
BTW the tip over wings will have minor damage usually from dropping it in the parking lot, you will most likely do it at lest once.

Good luck - Welcome

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #7 of 8 Old Jun 9th, 2010, 9:16 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumbum
Your absolutely correct that I should have set time aside to thourly go through the bike there. Bad mistake I wont make again. This was the 1st bike I have ever bought from a dealer and ive never bought one new. I "assumned" I would be told the truth and learned a real lesson here. I am very aware of what to look for and such but my planning was very poor due to assumptions. When Ive bought used bikes in the past I set at least an hour aside to go through the bike before i buy and have no idea why I did it differently here but never again
Yep seems you should have slowed down and picked a day when you had more time to go over the bike.

Fact is they have your money after you leave and did the deed.

If you would have noticed the tires on the spot and the weld crack, you probably would have gotten your tires and the weld done, or gotten a better price on the bike.

Hurry is not a good way to check a used anything out.

I am sorry for your woes, but me I would swallow, get my tires at cost, see if they have a welder that can tig the muffler or a local they can send you to, and get out of Dodge.

Right now fly's and honey comes into play and I would walk cautiously. If you can Man Up a bit, the Dealer may also.

Of course in all financial deals there is a certain grace period I believe that you can back out.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Last edited by katnapinn; Jun 9th, 2010 at 3:06 pm.
post #8 of 8 Old Jun 9th, 2010, 9:21 am Thread Starter

agreed but you should also be able to belive what your told.,....goes back to the trust but verify line. If a company tells you the condition of whatever your looking at (and has answered your SPECIFIC questions), you order it, and it comes not even close to what your told the fault lies directly with the salesperson. You are not always able to check something out before buying but I agree if at all possible do so as not everyone is honest. I delt with this company for years and was comfortable in what I was being told. It turns out that this was the execption.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in