Dealer stories! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 4:03 pm Thread Starter

Dealer stories!

Wow, i have had enough of my KLT- albeit the greatest motorcycle i may have ever owned or will own, it is time for it to go. I just need something a little more fun, so i decided to go big but sportier,,,so i had it nailed down to 2 bikes, K1200s as the 13's were a bit too much to afford, or a concours14,, which i believe to be better suited for what i am looking for in way of fun.
So i go into a dealership,,A BMW dealership,,i wont use any names, but they initially refused to trade in my K1200LTC due to problems on previous trade ins,,,WTF,,,i ended up calling the owner and we got it straightened out, but i did not go back due to the sour taste in my mouth from the expeience, besides the almost 7000.00 less from retail price they said they'd give me on a trade,,,they offered me 4700.00 for a trade on my KLTc w/ 30k miles!
So i went to the kawasaki dealership, and they said the same thing,,,bike unseen,,they would not trade in a KLT,,,Scary thought for all of us KLT owners,, so mine is going on craigslist here in a bit. And again due to experience, i wont be buying another BMW.
Too bad, they are wonderful machines, but a pain in the a$$ to get rid of!

2003 K 1200 LTC Titan Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 5:39 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Dealer stories!

If you think it is bad now, wait until this new one comes out. You may not be able to give a LT away

I pretty much decided I will die with my K1200LT/07.

I bought it new, which I would never do again on any bike, and it was 22,000 something out the door. It was a cash/trade deal so it is mine out right.

I know I do not want a bike payment. I do not want to loose that much money on a trade, I got offered mid 8-low 9 at a Honda dealer.

I just love the bike so I been out to collect parts. FD was first. I am working for the seals next, then clutch parts. I figure by the time something goes wrong as long as I have the part no big deal. I still will not take as big of a financial bath as if I traded and had payments or pulled from savings, which is a very spooky thought in this economy.

I know it is sad to say it, but the only way I can be comfortable owning this bike is to have the major components on hand so I can get it done and back on the road. OCD on my part. So yes cost of bike, plus parts stocking, less depreciation/trade in value, the LT was not the best financial choice of bikes.

However it does all I want it to in a bike.

It has not suffered any known LT issues, but she is a young 24,000 miler.

I ride it year round her in PA.

It calls to me still, as it really is a sharp looking bike.

I do not mind doing the maintenance on it myself. And I just have come to the point where I will fix it if I have to, and ride it until I, or it, cant go anymore.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #3 of 10 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 6:55 pm

x2 what LAF sez; Mine will be in my name when I die.............that's not saying I wouldn't get something else as a stable mate for it but I don't think the economy is going to correct soon enuff for me to trade it off................actually I am surprised you don't find it 'sporty enough'.............Me, I just luv the livin' sh#t out of mine...............

post #4 of 10 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 8:19 pm

Bought my '99 in '02 with 18,000 miles for next to nothing and will keep it till one of us dies. It it dies, I will buy another BMW under similar circumstances because I love them but refuse to be the chump to take a 60% beating in less than three years.
post #5 of 10 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 8:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
If you think it is bad now, wait until this new one comes out. You may not be able to give a LT away

I pretty much decided I will die with my K1200LT/07.

I bought it new, which I would never do again on any bike, and it was 22,000 something out the door. It was a cash/trade deal so it is mine out right.

I know I do not want a bike payment. I do not want to loose that much money on a trade, I got offered mid 8-low 9 at a Honda dealer.

I just love the bike so I been out to collect parts. FD was first. I am working for the seals next, then clutch parts. I figure by the time something goes wrong as long as I have the part no big deal. I still will not take as big of a financial bath as if I traded and had payments or pulled from savings, which is a very spooky thought in this economy.

I know it is sad to say it, but the only way I can be comfortable owning this bike is to have the major components on hand so I can get it done and back on the road. OCD on my part. So yes cost of bike, plus parts stocking, less depreciation/trade in value, the LT was not the best financial choice of bikes.

However it does all I want it to in a bike.

It has not suffered any known LT issues, but she is a young 24,000 miler.

I ride it year round her in PA.

It calls to me still, as it really is a sharp looking bike.

I do not mind doing the maintenance on it myself. And I just have come to the point where I will fix it if I have to, and ride it until I, or it, cant go anymore.
I bought my 07 cash also as I don't like financing things that depreciate so quickly. Buying new isn't so bad if you drive the wheels off a vehicle, which I generally do unless I get a lemon (only had one so far - a 1984 Honda Accord).

I plan to ride the wheels off of my LT, even if a new one comes out. I will want a new one to be sure, but as long as my 2007 remains reliable I will keep it.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 5:18 pm

Why not post your bike on this site too!! Also you might try posting it on www.ibmwr.net. You can post for free on that site too.
post #7 of 10 Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 5:23 pm

OPPS, it is www.ibmwr.org. Sorry
post #8 of 10 Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 6:08 pm

On E-bay you should get much more. I did not see anything less then $6500 with milage you have.

2005 K1200LT
2002 r1150gs Just for fun
1997 Heritage Soft tail Resting in Europe
1996 Heritage Soft tail For my Ego days
post #9 of 10 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 2:12 pm

I'll start the bidding at $4700USD
post #10 of 10 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 3:35 pm Thread Starter

I am going to mint the bike out, i mean like showroom, it will only cost maybe a grand, then i will put her up for retail and accept the first bid over 9g's, everything on it is fine, works perfectly, handles AWSOME for a machine of its size, but thats just it, i dont want a machine of this size, i am done with the luxo tourers, as i stated before, i will never own another quite as good as this one, but it is time to get the next bike, i will miss her, but i will always remember and always speak good about her, and continue my experience with new riders of this fine sort.

2003 K 1200 LTC Titan Silver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in