Not sure how to take this - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 12:59 pm Thread Starter

Not sure how to take this

So I go to the dealer today to test ride an RT. I have an '06 LT and love it, but always liked the look of the RT.

So after the ride I was talking to the sales rep. He had looked up my vin and noticed they had not done the service. I said that I do my own service. He says, "so the valves have never been done?" I told him I checked them at the 24k and they are fine. He says the problem with doing my own service is there are no service records. I tell him that I keep all the receipts for the parts I use, and that I put the milage in the service book and sign it. He turns to the sales rep behind him, starts to laugh and says, "hey, he signs the book himself"

I was a bit offended. My question is, should I be?

Oh yeah, and my LT doesn't have to fear leaving the garage, I prefer it to the RT.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by living_free; Sep 10th, 2009 at 1:51 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 1:40 pm

Re: Not sure how to take this

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_free
So I go to the dealer today to test ride an RT. I have an '06 LT and love it, but always liked the look of the LT.

So after the ride I was talking to the sales rep. He had looked up my vin and noticed they had not done the service. I said that I do my own service. He says, "so the valves have never been done?" I told him I checked them at the 24k and they are fine. He says the problem with doing my own service is there are no service records. I tell him that I keep all the receipts for the parts I use, and that I put the milage in the service book and sign it. He turns to the sales rep behind him, starts to laugh and says, "hey, he signs the book himself"

Oh yeah, and my LT doesn't have to fear leaving the garage, I prefer it to the RT.

If you are referring to the dealer in Hampton/Seabrook, i walked out on them as well. arrogant bunch all around i felt.

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #3 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 2:14 pm

I think my response would have been to chuckle along with him and tell the other sales rep, "Did he really think I would buy a motorcycle from him?"

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #4 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 2:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Pure & Simple . . . Lack of Sensitivity Training. . . the Key to New & Sustained Sales Success!

I'd write a letter to owner, deliver it in person and also mention that the incident has been posted on an International BMW site!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Last edited by PMitchell; Sep 10th, 2009 at 5:54 pm. Reason: adds
post #5 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 3:20 pm

I would have been offended. Was that at Max?

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #6 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 4:22 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Its amazing how one employee can leave a long lasting effect on a customer. Its hard to say if I would ever go back to this dealer but I sure wouldn't buy anything from that salesman. The owner might have some interest in the salesman lack of politeness.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #7 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 4:35 pm Thread Starter

Yes, this was MaxBMW. I have never purchased anything but parts and accessories from them, as I bought my bike from a private sale.

Max himself has always been very pleasant to deal with. Actually the service department has always been fine, I have never dealt with their sales force before today. I am bringing my bike there on tuesday to have some warrantee work done (warrantee expires wednseday), if I see Max, I will relay the story to him.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #8 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 4:40 pm

Quote:
So I go to the dealer today to test ride an RT. I have an '06 LT and love it, but always liked the look of the RT.

If I have my own aircraft I would maintain it and make the appropriate entries in the log book with MY signature. I damn well do the same on my motorcycle and autos. Every vehicle I've sold has had these records and people love it. Most idiot dealers don't even sign the thing anyway.

I would be offended and then put the salesmen and the dealer owner in their respective places with a little education about the real world.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #9 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 4:53 pm

So what's the difference between your signature and the dealer's stamp in the book? Your signature signifies you did the service, as does their stamp. The difference is, you know it was done and done correctly.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #10 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 4:57 pm

I for one wouldn't be offended jonly because I would not have been surprised by the attitude. Just what one would expect. I wonder if dealers think we're stealing from when we do our own maintenance on beemers?

And I interpret the smart remark to his bud to indicate that he thinks the owner's signature is not worth much toward validating "maintenance records". Maybe he's got a point, maybe not.

But I ask myself, when I decide to sell the bike, will the market bear adding enough money to the sales price to cover all those expensive dealer signatures in the book when I could have done the maintenance myself? Well, maybe a couple hundred bucks if you find a paranoid buyer but not a lot more. What's you opinion?

Since when did dealers rule and mechanically inclined owners drool?

K1200LT
Concours 14
post #11 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 5:00 pm Thread Starter

Yes, it was MAXBMW. Now let me say, I purchased my bike through a private sale, so have not dealt with the sales people until today. Max himself has always been very pleasent and accomidating. The service department has always been great.

I am bringing the bike in for some warrantee work on Tuesday as my warrantee expires on Wednesday, if I happen to see Max, I will relay the story to him. Although I have got to think that a dealership that size monitors this board.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #12 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 5:00 pm

I for one wouldn't have been offended only because I m not surprised by the attitude. Just what one would expect. I wonder if dealers think we're stealing from when we do our own maintenance?

I interpret the smart remark to his bud to indicate that he thinks the owner's signature is not worth much toward validating "maintenance records". Maybe he's got a point, maybe not.

But I ask myself, when I decide to sell the bike, will the market bear adding enough money to the sales price to cover all those expensive dealer signatures in the book when I could have done the maintenance myself? Well, maybe a couple hundred bucks if you find a paranoid buyer but not a lot more. What's you opinion?

Since when did dealers rule and mechanically inclined owners drool?

K1200LT
Concours 14
post #13 of 24 Old Sep 13th, 2009, 7:36 pm

Don't know about their parts or service depts.. Butt, their sales dept. SUCKS! I had a good laugh when they gave me a price on my trade in. Then drove the 3 hours home PO'd.. What a waste of time! Went 2 hours in the other direction to Hermy's. Same trade in bike. $2500 better deal! You can guess where I bought my bike. And have it serviced. Tom
post #14 of 24 Old Sep 16th, 2009, 7:14 pm

Don't be offended. It's just that some manufacturers (bike or car) want to see proof of service BY THE DEALER (or another retail service facilty) when it comes to warranty work. You'd be surprised at how many engine failures I've had to look at that were due to lack of oil, or lack of oil changes. Yet, when you question the owner, he ALWAYS changes his own oil every 2000 miles. Got reciepts? Ummm, not now, but I can have them tomorrow. So along comes tomorrow, and here is a pile of "reciepts" freshly printed out on a home computer. Ask for sales slips for oil and filters. Oh, didn't keep those. Yeah, right.
The only way to verify that the work was actually done (in the manufacturers eyes) is to see the dealer stamp. You may be a perfectly competent mechanic. You may not be. The dealer (or the next person who may consider purchasing your bike from them, should you trade it in) doesn't know.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #15 of 24 Old Sep 18th, 2009, 9:15 am

Well I have to disagree. When I bought my first used bike from MAX I was treated respectfully and offered a test ride. Then I was happy to see that they did have service records and the book was stamped. I would be worried to think that just anybody could fill out a book and make up anything they want to.

I just traded my bike last month there for a new LT and they saved me $1500 over the other two dealers I checked with. It was definately worth my time. Sorry you did not have the same experience but I thought they were great!!
post #16 of 24 Old Sep 18th, 2009, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

Well, I guess they do monitor the forums here, I just got a call from them apologizing.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #17 of 24 Old Sep 18th, 2009, 8:22 pm

you really want them to get excited tell them you serviced the brake system also, flushed the fluid and bled the system also. I was told ONLY a dealer coud do it! After a tech session and having done it I was amazed at how simple it really was!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #18 of 24 Old Sep 19th, 2009, 6:43 pm

Quote:
Well, I guess they do monitor the forums here, I just got a call from them apologizing.
That's nice, but if it was my dealership I would fire that jerk pronto - that type of arrogant behavior is not only insulting but WAY out of bounds for a SALES person. What a prick.

If they were truly sorry they could offer you a free oil change - discount on accessories - something... Just to earn your trust for a future potential sale.

Maybe no one ever told him that doing your own warranty work, etc. is protected under Federal Law. Keeping a simple journal (log book) and receipts is all that is needed to legally enforce your warranty rights. I am seriously impressed when an owner presents this to me when I am buying a used anything... even if it is 20 years old.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #19 of 24 Old Sep 19th, 2009, 8:57 pm

Question Re: Not sure how to take this

Yo Dave! What's the story on YOUR LT? Did you ever figure out what was wrong?

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #20 of 24 Old Sep 20th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Every body may havea bad experience once in a while.
A couple of years back when the big 3 were selling any pice of crap they could, I stopped by the local dodge dealer and inquired about a new diesel pick up as mine was 5 or 6 years old. they had one, that I did not like, and the price was "firm sticker".
Ehmmm. and they did not think they could find one to my liking. Really

Perhaps it was wroong to say I have never paid sticker on any new vehicle but I did.

Well the sales man said come back later they may have more coming in some time later. Well I guess business must have been good. As I was going back to my truck he said something to his cronies (all smoking in front of the dealership) about me not paying sticker and laughing.

3 months ago the dealer ship closed I am so sorry the sales man was such a knob. I really was going to buy the big Dodge with the cat diesel. I just wanted one with more goodies on it. Gee I hope he finds work in this economy.

Well fuel prices went crazy and instead I kept my big chevy durmax diesel and bought a MINI Cooper non S where I was treated with respect and got a pretty good deal with some extra goodies thrown in for good measure.

Today I still wonder how that salesman is doing is he working? yes I am almost tearing up.

My point is I should have gone in spoke with the manger at that time and got his ass fired instead of letting capitalism take care of it. They blew a $35,000.00 deal they way I see it.

Just my 2 cents

Mike G
Northen Illinois Packer Fan
K1200lt 2002
LT Trunk Latch Maker
post #21 of 24 Old Sep 25th, 2009, 8:19 pm

I have seen some of the 1/2 ass work done by supposed shade tree mechanics and would be very suspect about buying a bike from a guy that had done his own motorcycle wrenching unless I was darn sure he REALLY knew what he was doing. Most people don't and their bikes turn out to be the lab rat that they end up experimenting on to learn. In most cases.....no thanks. I am not interested in the bike you learned to be a novice mechanic on.
post #22 of 24 Old Oct 13th, 2009, 4:38 pm

Thumbs up Re: Not sure how to take this

Quote:
I just saw this thread tonight. This is really cool in my opinion. I get the impression that Max REALLY cares about his customers.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #23 of 24 Old Oct 16th, 2009, 2:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
I have seen some of the 1/2 ass work done by supposed shade tree mechanics and would be very suspect about buying a bike from a guy that had done his own motorcycle wrenching unless I was darn sure he REALLY knew what he was doing. Most people don't and their bikes turn out to be the lab rat that they end up experimenting on to learn. In most cases.....no thanks. I am not interested in the bike you learned to be a novice mechanic on.
Some really sorry dealer work has also been noted at times, so they are not immune from doing the same thing - and charging for it too.

Also - (and I know this has never happened or could happen) what would stop a dealer from filling in and dealer stamping an empty service book on a trade bike and passing it off as "dealer serviced"..

How would you know?

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #24 of 24 Old Feb 27th, 2010, 7:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiguy213
Well I have to disagree. When I bought my first used bike from MAX I was treated respectfully and offered a test ride. Then I was happy to see that they did have service records and the book was stamped. I would be worried to think that just anybody could fill out a book and make up anything they want to.

I just traded my bike last month there for a new LT and they saved me $1500 over the other two dealers I checked with. It was definately worth my time. Sorry you did not have the same experience but I thought they were great!!
Skiguy, your answers were a joke,,,
so when you buy a new car and there is no stamped book from oil changes, exhaust fixes, new tires, engine work you wont buy it, ya that is what i thought, i dont buy the crap you dish out! You have a toyota corrola in the driveway and do oil changes every 7500 miles according to the manufacturer, and then you bring it to juiffy lube cuz you afraid of some oil/dirt/ or some other contamination getting in your eye, but then after 3-7 years of use, you go to trade it in and get book value, BUT WAIT, there is no book stating all the parts that were fixed by a mechanic, I tell you what, the Japs dont do it, other european bikes- not all do it, and now try and trade one in, I had a BMW dealer tell me they did not want my bike for a TARDE IN, What message is BMW sending, Buy our bikes, but we wont buy them back, WTF, they say it is a Demographic thing, ok , you have a BMW dealership in the same spot i am trading in, Demographics do not mean anything, BMW dealer are getting upset with their owner who do work on their own bikes, I am done with them, as i stated in another thread, probably the best bike i have ever owned or may ever own, But i'll never buy another, too hard to get rid of, every part is so expensive, it is not reccommended to work on them if you ever plan to trade it in, And besides, BMW sold 30,000 plus units last year and their heads are just getting to big for their helmuts:/mets:
Too bad, they will put themselves back into isolation with the horrible dealership experiences!

2003 K 1200 LTC Titan Silver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in