Cal Service BMW In Mountainview CA. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 15th, 2009, 12:57 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Cal Service BMW In Mountainview CA.

After purchasing my K1200lt form Diablo BMW in Walnut Creek, CA. I looked for a dealer I could take my bike to for routine servicing that was close to work in Milpitas, CA. I found California BMW in the phone book and called there to get an appointment. On the date of the appt. I dropped my bike off and commented on some warranty issue concerns with some of the parts, They said no problem, and would get those items on order, they were a new radio, since the display was all white and you could not read it. One of the upper winglet and both of the lower winglets, they had yellowed to the point of looking ridiculous considering the color of the existing Plexiglas. They told they would call me when they were in and I could schedule to come in to have them installed. About a week later got called that the parts were in and scheduled an appt. unfortunately the soonest they could get me in was a month later. Went ahead and made the appt. Arrived to drop off the bike and was told it would be ready that afternoon. I also asked about the skid plate folks on the list had been talking about, was told they would get back to me. That afternoon went to pick up my bike and was told that the wrong part had been ordered and it had to be re-ordered, was also told that yes I could get a skid plate, but I would have to pay for the installation, I OK'd this from knowledge from the list. Scheduled to have the correct winglet installed and the skid plate, another month out. Went to pick up bike from this appt. and was told that they had not ordered all of the parts required to install the skid plate, and I would have to come back. I also mentioned about the hesitation I was seeing with the heat, and was told they would check it out at the next appt. Next appt. month later, pick up bike and get told they were not able to get the skid plate on because my exhaust was different from the K12's they had there, they reasoned that since mine was such an early 99 that they had not incorporated the changes that allowed for the skid plate, they were going to contact the BMW rep. about changing it out under warranty. They were to call me with the decision. As far as the hesitation, I was also told that there was nothing wrong with my bike and they could not re-create the hesitation issue. Riding my bike home that evening I again had the hesitation occur and almost got rear-ended by a truck following behind me when the bike would not accelerate out of a right hand turn at a stoplight. Called the next day about this and they told me that they would have the BMW rep. check the bike out himself. I asked that my next appt. be scheduled for when the rep. would be there. I was called a week later and told that the rep. would be there in three weeks and that he would make the decision about the hesitation, and he had approved changing out the exhaust pipe. Showed up to drop off my bike and was told that the rep would not be there till the next day, and by the way, I needed to have a full service done before the rep. would even look at the bike. Needless to say I was a little upset and felt that I had been blackmailed into having to get this done just to get the rep. to look at my bike. Went ahead and talked to Kari, the owner about all the times I had been there and not been called at least once to be notified every time something was not going to happen as agreed to. He told that yes, sometimes everything just seems to go wrong with a bike/person and that he understood. He told me I would just have to do a partial full service to the tune of over $500.00, instead of the $800.00+ cost of a full service. Not having any choice, I went ahead and OK'd the service. The next day, they were supposed to call me when the rep. showed up so I could meet with him at the dealership, by 1:30 PM I still had not been called and I called there. I was told that the rep. had already left and that he stated there was nothing wrong. This was after the list had started saying BMW was replacing Motronics on bikes with this issue.

Went over there to pick up my bike and again voiced my displeasure at how I had been treated, I believe I had been more then patient with Cal Service BMW. They then asked me when I would like to schedule having my exhaust changed and that they could fit me in a month later. I told them I would never come back to that dealership for anything and told them I would recommend that everyone else do the same. I ended up getting my exhaust changed and skid plate installed at Diablo BMW, all in one visit, imagine that. BTW, Cycle Specialties in Modesto, CA. changed out the Motronic and defective BC1 with no hassles, also in one visit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 15th, 2009, 3:10 pm

Re: Cal Service BMW In Mountainview CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasters
After purchasing my K1200lt form Diablo BMW in Walnut Creek, CA. I looked for a dealer I could take my bike to for routine servicing that was close to work in Milpitas, CA. I found California BMW in the phone book and called there to get an appointment.

<snipped for brevity.>

Went over there to pick up my bike and again voiced my displeasure at how I had been treated, I believe I had been more then patient with Cal Service BMW. They then asked me when I would like to schedule having my exhaust changed and that they could fit me in a month later. I told them I would never come back to that dealership for anything and told them I would recommend that everyone else do the same. I ended up getting my exhaust changed and skid plate installed at Diablo BMW, all in one visit, imagine that. BTW, Cycle Specialties in Modesto, CA. changed out the Motronic and defective BC1 with no hassles, also in one visit.
Hey, Bob - no way is it my purview to tell you what to do following this situation, but for me, I'd make sure a cleaned up and date arranged copy of this post be planted on the desk of the principal fellow at BMW Motorrad. By cleaned up, I mean chronological date sequences and names (OR job titles) of the folks you talked to each time at Cal Service, and when the bike stayed for service, or you had to reschedule drop off dates. Although BMW Motorrad may choose to ignore the situation, they at least can't address what they don't know is happening. Needless to say, I'm sorry for your hassles, but am pleased that Diablo and Cycle Specialties made thangs right.

Better luck in the future - and ride safe, Bob.
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 15th, 2009, 4:54 pm

This post really confuses me. It is about a bike that was sold ten years ago and has been out of warranty for about 7 years. When did all of this happen??

"Try not. Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 11:54 am Thread Starter

Angry Re: Cal Service BMW In Mountainview CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelurker
This post really confuses me. It is about a bike that was sold ten years ago and has been out of warranty for about 7 years. When did all of this happen??
This happened in 2001, I reposted it since I found that the post had disappeared from the dealer review forum. The reason I re-posted this, is because of a recent experience with Cal Service BMW new dealership which opened last year in Livermore, Ca. called Tri-Valley BMW. Both are owned/run by the same folks. I had hoped that in the years since my first experience with Cal Service BMW things would have changed, but I was mistaken. I will be posting "chronological date sequences and names (OR job titles) of the folks you talked to each time at" (Thanks Dick) about my recent experience at Tri-Valley BMW, when I have cooled off enough to write objectively and not emotionally about them.

BTW, the 99 K1200LTC was still under warrenty when this occured, with less then 10K miles.
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 10:54 pm

Damn Bob being so close to home now that really sucks that they cant get it done right.
I was in Modesto few days back and CS new shop looks good. Always had great service with them.

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

Cool Re: Cal Service BMW In Mountainview CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson61
Damn Bob being so close to home now that really sucks that they cant get it done right.
I was in Modesto few days back and CS new shop looks good. Always had great service with them.
Yes on both counts, I really like Cycle Specialties in Modesto, Should have gone with my instincts and had it repaired there. I let myself get talked into trying out Tri-Valley Moto. Won't happen again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in