Service Experience at BMW Touring Sport, Greenville, SC - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 10:02 am Thread Starter

Service Experience at BMW Touring Sport, Greenville, SC

This post has been languishing for a few months because it is negative and I really hate to go public with negativity. The reason that I post this now is because the Iron Butt Rally is starting in Spartanburg, SC and Touring Sport is the nearest BMW dealer and I feel that sharing my experience may help others make an informed decision on whether or not to use this dealership for service.

I had a breakdown on the Cape Fear 1000 rally and, based on the high recommendations of others, chose to have my bike towed to Touring Sport over a closer dealership. My bike has quite a bit of long distance customization and I know that it costs extra to deal with non-stock motorcycles. I fully expected to pay time and material for the repairs. The failed ignition switch is deep inside the tupperware on a K1200LT so the $500 labor charge, while not pleasant, was not surprising.

What was surprising was that the job was not done properly. While I expect that my customization will cost extra, I also expect that my bike will be returned to me in the proper condition. I had to ride the bike home and then completely tear it down to reconnect my communications system properly, essentially replicating 90% of the labor for which I had just paid. In the process of reproducing this work I found other examples of poor workmanship, stripped and missing screws, improperly routed wiring, and missing spot ties.

I brought all of this to the attention of the management at Touring Sport with little satisfaction. Their position was that they had to charge flat labor on non-stock work and that the charges were normal. They never did seem to understand that I was not objecting to charges for work that was properly performed but was objecting to paying the full freight on improper work.

Bottom line is that I felt they fully understood that I was a "one time" customer who they would never see again.

My apologies for cross posting this to my blog, the BMW Luxury Touring Community, the Iron Butt Association forum, the LDRider forum, and the IBR private forum, I normally try to be a good netcitizen but in this case I am following through with a promise to Touring Sport that, should we not be able to resolve the issue, I would make this post.

If anyone wants to see the entire email exchange please let me know and I will post them on my web page.

IBPete
Raleigh, NC
IBA#341

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The mysteries of life?
"it's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money"
Tom T. Hall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 10:12 am

Re: Service Experience at BMW Touring Sport, Greenville, SC

I have friends in that neighborhood and they all have negative things to say as well.

It is unfortunate that quality workmanship is so rare these days.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #3 of 4 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 11:45 am

Thanks for the heads up.
Sorry that you had such a negative experience
and that you weren't able to resolve it.
I've been very fortunate with the service and support
that I've received at Capitol BMW in Raleigh.

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 1:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT_Pilot
Thanks for the heads up.
Sorry that you had such a negative experience
and that you weren't able to resolve it.
I've been very fortunate with the service and support
that I've received at Capitol BMW in Raleigh.
DITTOS!!!

Capitol BMW is where I get my service. They sometimes don't get it right but they always listen to my whining with a sympathetic ear ;-)

Jon Ross has gone out of his way several times to make things right with me. Scott, their senior tech is extremely competent.

Plus they are proud to be servicing an IBR bike and according to them is "the highest mileage LT they have in their customer base".

IBPete
Raleigh, NC
IBA#341

The mysteries of life?
"it's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money"
Tom T. Hall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in