What's Up With Chicago BMW? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 2:28 pm Thread Starter

What's Up With Chicago BMW?

I've bought a lot of parts from Chicago BMW because they were significantly cheaper than other dealers. However, checking on some items lately, I found that they are now priced the same as other BMW dealers, much to my dismay. How were they able to sell cheaper in the first place, and what happened to make them change? I don't know the answer to the first question, but I suspect that other dealers complained or BMW Motorrad stepped in to make them change their prices to be the same as everybody else.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 2:34 pm

Re: What's Up With Chicago BMW?

my two guesses would be that they ran out of a "bulk purchase" (they bought more - got a better deal - passed it on to you) OR their overhead just caught up with them......

Bruce
2009 R1200RT Biarritz Blue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life is short....Live it - Love it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 2:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkus
my two guesses would be that they ran out of a "bulk purchase" (they bought more - got a better deal - passed it on to you) OR their overhead just caught up with them......
I think it has to do more with dealers complaining and BMW Motorrad stepping in. Why else would everybody's prices be exactly the same now? Besides, some of the parts I bought were not that common replacement parts and they were still discounted, so that blows a hole in the bulk purchase theory.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL

Last edited by tonyn1; Apr 2nd, 2009 at 2:58 pm.

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 3:14 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyn1
I think it has to do more with dealers complaining and BMW Motorrad stepping in. Why else would everybody's prices be exactly the same now? Besides, some of the parts I bought were not that common replacement parts and they were still discounted, so that blows a hole in the bulk purchase theory.
There really aren't any bulk purchases on parts with BMW. All dealers pay the same price for parts (we can get a small deal on pre-season orders of apparel if the order is large enough)

The simple fact is they couldn't sustain those discount prices and stay in business...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #5 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 3:26 pm

Just guessing that they were still netting 20% after the discounts with a much better volume than the average dealer. That is a very good way to make money. Turn your (parts) inventory (where the real money is) often at a fair markup and it is like printing money.

How much pressure could the other dealers put on a single dealer other than refuse dealer transfers of product?

I had the misfortune to own an interest in a heavy truck dealership for a short time long ago and found that selling big trucks was just the means to sell the purchasers parts later on. Internal parts sales to the repair department was a nice profit center also. If the new truck sales department did not take too big of a monthly hit or if by some miracle it actually made money AND the parts department was humming - it was a money machine.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 3:36 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

I called and they are still offering 20% discount on BMW parts and apparel.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 4:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell

How much pressure could the other dealers put on a single dealer other than refuse dealer transfers of product?
The other dealers would complain to the parent entity, BMW Motorrad, who may have a say over retail price, since every dealer has the same exact price. Chicago BMW, until just recently, was the exception.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 4:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove
I called and they are still offering 20% discount on BMW parts and apparel.
They don't have those prices on their website like they used to. I'll have to call to see what's up.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 4:08 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Just guessing that they were still netting 20% after the discounts with a much better volume than the average dealer. That is a very good way to make money. Turn your (parts) inventory (where the real money is) often at a fair markup and it is like printing money.
The actual margin after overhead costs (labor, rent, insurance etc) is a fraction of the 20% gross.

Quote:
NONE

Quote:
I had the misfortune to own an interest in a heavy truck dealership for a short time long ago and found that selling big trucks was just the means to sell the purchasers parts later on. Internal parts sales to the repair department was a nice profit center also. If the new truck sales department did not take too big of a monthly hit or if by some miracle it actually made money AND the parts department was humming - it was a money machine.
If it was a money machine why the misfortune?

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #10 of 10 Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 9:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
The actual margin after overhead costs (labor, rent, insurance etc) is a fraction of the 20% gross.

Once you have covered your overhead, which includes rent, insurance etc - the incrimental cost of service labor is minimal. Volume is key in a retail business unless you have a 400% margin and adequate volume.

NONE

If it was a money machine why the misfortune?
It was a money machine - for the previous owner. Audit found about $250,000 of inventory missing (covered up) and the guy that sold me the business had to buy it back - on the court house steps. Still, it was a very expensive lesson at a time I did not need an expensive lesson. The strange part was the guy was making a bunch of money without raping his own company - which I really did not have a problem with since it was his company. When he doctored the books and sold it - then it was my problem.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in