EuroCycles / BMW of Tampa Bay :( - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 16th, 2009, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

EuroCycles / BMW of Tampa Bay :(

In January 2009 I attempted to trade in my Harley FLHT on a new 2009 R1200RT. I went to EuroCycles on Gunn Hwy in north Tampa. Speaking with the sales manager David, I was offered less than NADA value on my trade. I inquired as to what options I wanted and was told that there were no motorcycles in the warehouse with my specific requirements. (Cruise only). Once David politely explained to me that these bikes were not like Harleys (options were added at the factory and not at the dealer level), I asked if I could special order one to my specifications. David told me I could, but he had no idea how long it would take to get there. As he put it, "It could be 6 weeks or 6 months, we have no way of knowing". I left to consider my options.

After some email exchanges between David and I, I decided we could not do business as we were too far apart on expectations and price. I contacted HAP's Cycle in Sarasota and was enthusiastically greeted by Steve. What a great salesman. He quoted me a fair price (much better than David had), and he offered to order me exactly what I wanted. I agreed and put a deposit down. Steve told me 6-8 weeks for delivery.

Well, Steve called me every other week during this time to keep me abreast of where the bike was, what was happening during the production process, and when it would arrive. Excellent communication!!!
HAP's is 85 miles from my house. EuroCycles is 8 miles from home. How sad that I could not make a deal with the local dealer...........that being said, I felt it would be a good idea to try to establish a relationship with the local dealer's service department. So, I decided to get my 600 mile service done at EuroCycles. In 4 days, I had 600 miles on the bike.

I made an appointment at EuroCycles, was quoted a price ($400) and time to finish, and was treated well......right up to the point of taking it for a ride the following day and seeing all of the oil on my boots. After allowing the bike to cool, I rubbed my hand under each rocker cover and observed oil on my hands from doing so.

I contacted Joe, the general manager of the dealer, and expressed my displeasure to him. He appolgized, which was appreciated, but I was concerned with his response. He stated that he, "..won't throw anyone under the bus just yet as I haven't determined if anything was done wrong". Well Joe, let me explain to you just exactly WHAT was done wrong.

If the bike is leaking, then your technician didn't put it back together correctly.

If it isn't leaking, your tech is a slob that didn't wipe up his oily mess from the bottom of the cylinders and left it to drip on my boots and make a bigger mess.

Either way, I see this as a technician issue, Joe. It's a new bike. I didn't have a problem until your technician worked on it. So, feel free to start rolling that bus anytime you wish to repair the reputation of your dealership.

In the meantime, I promised Joe I would do this: I will clean off the oily mess and run it and check it for leaks. If it is leaking, I'll be back to the dealership next Saturday so they can fix it correctly. If it doesn't leak, I won't be back to the dealership. That is, I WON'T be back. I'll drive the 85 miles to the dealer I bought it at and get them to take care of me.

How sad......I gave them two opportunities to meet my expectations as a customer and both times, they blew it. I have to wonder if they have calculated the value of my business over my lifetime....after all, I have purchased 7 new Harleys over the years from the same family-run dealership in Clearwater and have always been quite happy with the experiences I had there. 7 bikes, Joe......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 21st, 2009, 9:03 am

Re: EuroCycles / BMW of Tampa Bay :(

I've bought bikes at both Haps and Eurocycles but I do all my service at Haps.
post #3 of 7 Old May 18th, 2009, 6:02 pm

Mirrors my experience. I recently decided to buy an RT. Went there to check things out. Arrogant sales staff. They didn't know I had the money in my back pocket. Rejected two offers with no counter.

They must be doing SO well, they don't need just any business...

Won't be buying there!

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 3:29 pm Thread Starter

Since I made the original post, I thought I'd come back here and see if anyone had any newer opinions on this shop. I sold my Harley and am looking for a new GSA. This dealer is 8 miles from home but I do not like the way i was treated there (See above).

If something at this dealership has changed, ie: mangagement or sales force, I'd like to know. Given a good reason, I'd give them another crack at my business when I buy my new GSA. Afterall, they are closer to home.

But, I drove 85 miles to another dealer last time and I have no problem doing it again. I'll take my money where I know it will be treated well.

Any opinions?
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 6th, 2010, 6:58 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottly
Since I made the original post, I thought I'd come back here and see if anyone had any newer opinions on this shop. I sold my Harley and am looking for a new GSA. This dealer is 8 miles from home but I do not like the way i was treated there (See above).

If something at this dealership has changed, ie: mangagement or sales force, I'd like to know. Given a good reason, I'd give them another crack at my business when I buy my new GSA. Afterall, they are closer to home.

But, I drove 85 miles to another dealer last time and I have no problem doing it again. I'll take my money where I know it will be treated well.

Any opinions?
I would just go & talk to them again. If you don't like what you see or hear leave. That is about as simple as it gets.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 7th, 2010, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I would just go & talk to them again. If you don't like what you see or hear leave. That is about as simple as it gets.
Taking that advice,,,which is good advice because sometimes I just get so wound up I can't think straight, so thanks!!!.....I went there today.

I shot them an email prior and recieved a prompt response by John Beach.

I went in, told him of my experience prior. He carefully listened and made no excuses. He showed me what I wanted to look at...a Duc Multistrada and a GSA. The Duc was smaller than I had hoped (I'm a big lug). Nice bike, but it seemd like tha overall fit and finish of the parts was a bit cheezy. It also reminded me of a sport bike with taller suspension, and nothing more. Sitting on other Ducs will tell a different tale, as the Multistrada is truly a unique animal...but too small for me.

The GSA...nice! Tall, big, seemingly comfy, and I have to admit, I liked the yellow color. We talked business. He shot me numbers. I shot back, he frowned.

First time I ever went into a dealer that turned the LCD computer screen in my direction and showed me his markup on the bike and the paniers. The fact that he was even willing to talk price was surprising, since it appears the dealers can sell all of these thngs that they can get around here.

In the end, we were only a few hundred apart. Not figguring I would get any farther and him sending me those vibes, it was decision time.

His offer was fair, my experience was much different than last time, and based on his conversation, I felt he was making an honest and good effort to earn my business back. He played no games. He applied no pressure. He didn't look down his nose at me. He just gave me the facts and we came to terms. We shook hands, we made a deal.

I hope the owner of this dealer reads this. John Beach did a good job of winning me as a customer. It will now be up to the service department as to whether or not they keep me as a customer.

My 600 mile service will determine that. I will take delivery sometime this week when I have time to go get it and they get the bags they had to order. I guess he said he had to order keys to match the ignition, or some such thing.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant. I thought it only fair to post a good experience and give kudos where it's due. For all the bitchin' I do, I try to recognize the good in the world.

I feel sorry that I won't be buying a bike from Hap's in Sarasota, as they are fine people...but they are just too far to be traveling to all the time when I have a dealer 8 miles from home, and they didn't have any left anyway.

It just makes more sense to stay in the neighborhood.
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 9:07 am Thread Starter

Took bike in for 600 mile service. $370, including tax. Saturday morning, in right away, out in short order. All was done correct, no greasy fingerprints.

Several days later, dealership owner called me to ask if all was OK.

Dealership owner called me shortly after purchase to make sure all is well.

I gotta say, things at this dealership appear to be very different from my first experience there...so my hat is off to them for doing what it takes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in